Rail link to Thailand a step closer

geovalin

As an agreement on railway transportation materialises, Cambodia and Thailand are set to hold a ceremony early next year to celebrate the official opening of the line that will connect Phnom Penh and Bangkok, a representative of the Ministry of Public Works and Transportation (MPWT) said yesterday. The ceremony will be attended by Prime Minister Hun Sen and his Thai counterpart, General Prayut Chan-o-cha, said Ly Borin, an Under Secretary of State at the MPWT.

The new railway will link Phnom Penh and the Thai capital Bangkok via Poipet city, which shares the border with Aranyaprathet in Thailand. “By early next year we will organise the official connection of the railway line between Cambodia and Thailand, and premiers of both countries are scheduled to preside over the ceremony,” Mr Borin said.

The agreement on railway transportation between the two nations is being drafted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation after several years of negotiations by the parties involved, said Mr Borin, adding that the agreement will be signed before the end of 2017. “We want the agreement to be signed before the end of the year so the official linking ceremony can be held by early 2018,” he said.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5084794/rail-link-thailand-step-closer/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 05/10

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 11:14 AM, my friend I said:

No work being done on the line in Battambong. The station building is being used to park cars. Some new tracks in Svay.

Didn't  see any sign of work at Poipet either last time I went through...It is the BTB-Poipet segment that needs the most repair