Avocado Trees available March 2018

DumbFalang

Well im surprised . Are your avocados special breed? Because there are hundreds of grafted stock on the highway beyween petchaburn and pitsunalog. In the mountain areas ,where they grow many of them. They are still roughly 30 bart per plant which is what we paid about 4 years ago when we were looking for plants. So we bought 100 seedlings. Which are now producing avocados. 100 x 30 bart = 3000 .
I must be not understanding your post somehow. For 600 bart we paid for 20 grafted seedlings.
Cheers cobbler

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/13/2017 at 6:51 AM, JungleBiker said:

leaf samples through Spanish customs

The only problem with Spain is the very very slow postal mail......took 3 months for my scions to arrive in Spain....same goes for mail from spain to thailand.

On 24/10/2017 at 7:20 PM, cobbler said:

Well im surprised . Are your avocados special breed? Because there are hundreds of grafted stock on the highway beyween petchaburn and pitsunalog. In the mountain areas ,where they grow many of them. They are still roughly 30 bart per plant which is what we paid about 4 years ago when we were looking for plants. So we bought 100 seedlings. Which are now producing avocados. 100 x 30 bart = 3000 .
I must be not understanding your post somehow. For 600 bart we paid for 20 grafted seedlings.
Cheers cobbler

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Do you know what varieties of avocado you have?

Are you sure they're grafted and not un-grafted seedlings?

Plants grafted with established named varieties will be worth more than ungrafted seedlings or seedlings grafted with varieties without any "track record". 

• 2 weeks later...
Some rootstocks do much better with certain varieties..
I have a few which don't grow at all.

Grafting can be done when the tree is growing well pushing new leaves all the time. Best is to use parafilm or buddingtape, the buds will grow straight through it when they are pushing.
You need developed buds though, wrap them in film and graft on the rootstock/tree...in full sun is no problem.

Best is to prepare the scionwood, cut the leaves all off, wait some days for the leaf-ends to drop, wrap it in parafilm/budding tape and graft it.

The tape is the trick, it has to be soft so the buds can grow through it...if you use another film you might need to help the buds getting trough if you see them swell, then you make a small hole in that tape so it can get through.

Thian, would you say it's better to wrap the whole scion in parafilm or just the graft union and then popping a plastic bag over to keep it from drying out?
How many buds would you leave on the scion? I've seen videos of just 2 or 3 buds left on with only about 4 to 5cm of scion and some leaving the scion up to around 5 inch. What do you think is best?
Junglebiker what are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Attached (finally) are the photos i wasn't able to attach the other week. 

They show that the scion isn't wrapped in plastic.

Some wax with fungicide is put on the cut tip. 

They are enclosed in a giant "plastic bag", more commonly known as a polytunnel! 

The 3rd photo shows them growing on in a net house. 

This nursery produces several hundred thousand plants per year. 

avo.jpg

avo 2.jpg

avo .jpg

1 hour ago, JungleBiker said:

Attached (finally) are the photos i wasn't able to attach the other week. 

They show that the scion isn't wrapped in plastic.

Some wax with fungicide is put on the cut tip. 

They are enclosed in a giant "plastic bag", more commonly known as a polytunnel! 

The 3rd photo shows them growing on in a net house. 

This nursery produces several hundred thousand plants per year. 

avo.jpg

avo 2.jpg

avo .jpg

That is impressive! 

• 2 weeks later...

Dumbfalang, I am very interested in some tree's. Price sounds great. I live in Ubon area and have some friends who are supposably locating me some avocado tree"s. I wont know until for a couple of weeks if they were successful. I would like to keep in touch with you on this.

Thank you and best regards

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2017 at 11:24 PM, khunpon said:

JB, would you have any contact/address info for the nursery you have shown?

Khunpon, Please excuse me for my late reply. I do have the contact details because I am cooperating with that company to develop an avocado farm in Laos. That nursery is not in Asia. At this stage, the company prefers to keep a low profile. If you could tell me why you would like their contact details perhaps I can help you in some way. 

Best regards,

JB.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Does anyone on this forum know about how long it takes for a tree like the ones mentioned above, to start bearing fruit? How about until fully mature? Thanks. 

From what I could find on various sites on the net, trees which have been grafted usually take 3 - 4 years AFTER planting before bearing fruit. Apparently, trees grown from seed tend to take much longer than that, again from what I found on the internet, it can take them up to 15 years to fruit. 

2 hours ago, djayz said:

From what I could find on various sites on the net, trees which have been grafted usually take 3 - 4 years AFTER planting before bearing fruit. Apparently, trees grown from seed tend to take much longer than that, again from what I found on the internet, it can take them up to 15 years to fruit. 

So get the buggers in as early as possible.

On 06/03/2018 at 4:46 PM, NigelKennedy said:

Looking for Gem and Lamb Haas avocado trees in Thailand anybody seen them ?

I don't know about Lamb Hass, but there shouldn't be any Gem trees in Thailand. They are a protected variety and the company that controls it has not yet allowed any to be planted in Thailand.

Though of course anything can be pirated, especially in Thailand, (not being a member of UPOV). 

On 03/03/2018 at 4:40 PM, spidermike007 said:

Does anyone on this forum know about how long it takes for a tree like the ones mentioned above, to start bearing fruit? How about until fully mature? Thanks. 

I have seen avocado trees flowering 15 months after planting. In South Africa. Carmen on a superior rootstock (Dusa). Well managed. I think about 8 years to full yield. Can last 50 years. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/13/2017 at 5:57 AM, JungleBiker said:

It depends on latitude (how far north or south, from the equator) but, generally speaking, Hass prefers to be above 1,000 metres above sea level. So (real) Hass would not be happy in Bangkok.

The big avocados you mention will probably be varieties or seedlings of the more tropically-adapted West Indian race that will grow and give fruit at lower altitudes but have lower oil/fat content. That's why they are generally considered to be less tasty than Hass (which dominates about 95% or more of the international trade in avocado). Hass comes from the Guatemalan/Mexican races that prefer cooler conditions.

If you grow seeds taken from Hass fruits, without grafting, you will likely produce some trees that eventually bear fruits that look like Hass (having similar shape and size, with a dark purple pebbly skin when ripe) BUT they will not be genuine Hass. They will have different DNA and likely differ in several ways (such as flavor, oil content, texture, flesh colour, etc). 

I suspect that some of the "Hass" going around Thailand are something that came from a Hass seed and look like Hass but are not Hass, due to having different DNA. It has not been clonally propagated (by grafting scion wood) from a genuine Hass tree.

(Thian, I think you already know all of the above but I'm writing this for the others who may now know).  

Hi, i'm living in Issaan in Chaiyaphum, our land is 250m above the sea. Which variety do you recommend me to grow please ?

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2018 at 6:14 PM, noopin2014 said:

Hi, i'm living in Issaan in Chaiyaphum, our land is 250m above the sea. Which variety do you recommend me to grow please ?

Your area is still very tropical so you should try growing varieties of the West Indian race. If you google the 2 varieties mentioned by Dumbfalang, you should be able to find out which of the 3 races they belong to. 

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 12:17 PM, DumbFalang said:

Haas, Peterson and Buccaneer are the known varieties at the moment. Will try to get other varieties between now and December.

There will be a 4th variety that is unknown (locals call it green emerald), but I ate some myself this season and they were the best I tasted all year.  I could do Booth 7, but only if specifically requested.

Let me know if you are interested in any specific varieties and I'll see what I can do.

Hi, can I buy a couple of hass from you, can you send details please

Archived