Avocado Trees available March 2018

DumbFalang

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/10/2018 at 7:57 AM, DumbFalang said:

Yes, we sell them all year round. Let me know what you are looking for.

Steve.

I am living near Chomtong.   Planted 3 grafted avocado trees over 2 years ago and growing very slowly ( only a little over a meter high now).     Last year wanted to go visit you ( about the time you were having an open house).  Maybe i can get there soon.   We eat LOTS of avocados so would like to see how you do....and also buy some regularly

Yes, my grafted trees seem to grow slower than trees grown from seed up here in Chiang Mai. Another observation is that seeds I have planted at my house just outside Bangkok grow like crazy compared to the ones I plant up North.

I've not heard of any Avocado trees bearing fruit anywhere south of Korat, so it would be interesting to hear from people who have managed to produce fruit around Bangkok and further south.

Are you grafting both morning blooming and afternoon blooming (I know that blooming is not really the correct word here) varieties on each scion? I have 5 trees planted, some not close to others, and am not sure about them pollinating as someone else bought them for me.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Thian said:

This should be sprayed around new year when the flower buds are forming...it also works/helps on other fruit tree's which are about to bloom.

We didn't lose any flowers on our Avo tree this year but would like to try spraying next season. Does the packaging contain a recommended mixture ratio with water? If anyone has used just Boron powder, then can you offer advice on how much powder and water should be mixed together per tree?  I want to use on other trees too, so I need to learn how to do this ????

Just to let you Avocado lovers know that we have a new variety available. It's called Russell. Google it..... it's a weird looking thing.

If anyone has experience growing it, then I'd love to hear from you on here. I know that I am going to get asked if it will fruit in Isaan, so I need to come up with an honest answer.

43 minutes ago, DumbFalang said:

Just to let you Avocado lovers know that we have a new variety available. It's called Russell. Google it..... it's a weird looking thing.

If anyone has experience growing it, then I'd love to hear from you on here. I know that I am going to get asked if it will fruit in Isaan, so I need to come up with an honest answer.

I don't know how to use that Calcium boron, i was happy enough to find it for sale.

Russel is for sale on chatuchak since a year or so but i only believe it when i see the fruit..

There are many more avocado varieties in thailand but you just have to find them. At some fairs in Impact Muang Thong is also a girl selling many varieties i had never heard of before.

I gave up growing avo's in BKK since they wouldn't bloom...guess it's too warm at night.

• 1 month later...

Any smart guys out there have thoughts about the lazada calcium boron magnesium mix for spraying on avocados? I've searched a bit and have seen someone say the boron is much better used mixed into the soil, but be careful not too much as can be toxic. I am just a hobby grower and have been growing avos since 2005 with varying degrees of success. If a bit of the spray would help the fruit to set I'll give it a try.

• 1 month later...

Hi, came across this thread when I was doing research on avocadoes in Thailand. Does anyone know about, or can tell me where to find out more about avocado production in Thailand (in general) and local consumption vs export? Thailand appears to produce a good amount of avocadoes locally (I've tried some from Phetchabun and Sukothai that were delicious, no less so than Mexican or NZ avos) but still imports about 99% of its avos from New Zealand, and I'm curious as to why. I'm only part time in Thailand so not that familiar with the local avocado scene and happy to have any misconceptions corrected. Thanks in advance! 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, huiran said:

Hi, came across this thread when I was doing research on avocadoes in Thailand. Does anyone know about, or can tell me where to find out more about avocado production in Thailand (in general) and local consumption vs export? Thailand appears to produce a good amount of avocadoes locally (I've tried some from Phetchabun and Sukothai that were delicious, no less so than Mexican or NZ avos) but still imports about 99% of its avos from New Zealand, and I'm curious as to why. I'm only part time in Thailand so not that familiar with the local avocado scene and happy to have any misconceptions corrected. Thanks in advance! 

I do not believe that Thailand imports 99% of it's Avo's from NZ, however, I could believe that it imports 99% of it's Haas variety from NZ. Thailand exports almost all of it's Haas production to China and most, if not all of next years crop has already been paid for in advance.

Impatient Thai growers have seriously damaged the local market by picking fruit too early and everyone is sick of throwing away fruit that never ripens. That practice continues today and is unlikely to change.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 5:23 AM, AsianBeeGuy said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on grafted avocado trees available currently in Bangkok? If so, what varieties and tree sizes? Thanks in advance!

I do, size about 5 feet tall price 500 baht give me a while till I dig up my old contacts... If you want trees at a better price contact me.

Archived