What Do I Need?

Help. I am in need of some information quickly.

My fiance (now wife through traditional Thai ceremonial wedding) and I would like to get registered and need to know what to bring to the amphur.

We were wed through traditional Thai ceremonial wedding on Aug 14th then I had to leave Thailand for awhile. On Boxing day I found out she went into the hospital the previous day for emergency surgery, later to be diagnosed with cancer. I immediately made plans to return immediately to take care of her. Now I am here, I wish to get registered and then get my Marriage Visa before my visa exempt stamp runs out.

I went to the immigration in Chiang Mai and spoke with them, explaining my situation as stated above. Her income and mine combined are over 40,000 baht per month. I have been sending enough money to her for the past year to show that in her bank account so there seems to be no problem there. The officer at immigration just said that "You need the marriage registration". I asked a number of times if that is ALL I needed along with the banking information I showed him. He said YES.

I feel that there is much more for me to bring.

Also, what are the items that need to be translated and notarized? And who are they for?

I hope someone can give me a quick complete answer without me having to search for hours and find bits and pieces of information here and there. Doing it that way makes me feel like I am missing something and will end up wasting my time.

If you can help me, a million thanks in advance.

Kel

Edited by kel57

You just need a chitti (bit of paper) notorised to say that you are Free to Marry ...ie no other wifies in cupboard.

Get it from your Embassy and go to nearest translator for....yes ...lots around Wireless Road.

Then take it along to MFA and get them to "chop it" ....stamp or wotever and then ...its down to the Ampur with PPS /IDs/Camera and maybe some mates for moral support...thats it...Chok dee na .K :o

As said the main item is your Embassy letter that you are single and contains some bio data. Only your Embassy can say what they require for that but if married before you will probably need your divorce paperwork. US Embassy it is done while you wait but believe UK is overnight. Then the translation and registration at MFA. Normally translation service can take care of both but believe MFA is also overnight unless express payment is made. The you both go to a District Office to register the marriage. If your wife can not travel to District Office they can have someone go to her for a small outside fee but you will probably need someone to translate your request. If you do not speak Thai you should have someone with you that does as you have to sign marriage paperwork and need to understand what you are signing. Two witness also have to sign paperwork but often that is office workers that you may treat to lunch.

Believe the visa/extension of stay will be a two step affair - 2,000 baht to change to non immigrant stay and then 1,900 baht to extend for one year.

Good luck and wish the best for you and wife.

There are Consulates for major western countries in Chiang Mai so you may be able to get letter there and have a translation service take care of the registration at MFA without travel.

Help. I am in need of some information quickly.

My fiance (now wife through traditional Thai ceremonial wedding) and I would like to get registered and need to know what to bring to the amphur.

We were wed through traditional Thai ceremonial wedding on Aug 14th then I had to leave Thailand for awhile. On Boxing day I found out she went into the hospital the previous day for emergency surgery, later to be diagnosed with cancer. I immediately made plans to return immediately to take care of her. Now I am here, I wish to get registered and then get my Marriage Visa before my visa exempt stamp runs out.

I went to the immigration in Chiang Mai and spoke with them, explaining my situation as stated above. Her income and mine combined are over 40,000 baht per month. I have been sending enough money to her for the past year to show that in her bank account so there seems to be no problem there. The officer at immigration just said that "You need the marriage registration". I asked a number of times if that is ALL I needed along with the banking information I showed him. He said YES.

I feel that there is much more for me to bring.

Also, what are the items that need to be translated and notarized? And who are they for?

I hope someone can give me a quick complete answer without me having to search for hours and find bits and pieces of information here and there. Doing it that way makes me feel like I am missing something and will end up wasting my time.

If you can help me, a million thanks in advance.

Kel

CONGRATULATIONS

My wife (thai) and i (British) have just registered our marriage at xmas in Chiang Mai it's not at all complicated.

To get your marriage registered you will need

Your passport and copy.

Your freedom to marry from your Embassy and translation (I took copy of this also although i cant remember if i needed it)

Wifes ID card and 1 copy and her tabien baan and 1 copy.

Oh and 200 or so baht

THAT WAS EVERYTHING

If you have been married before you will need ORIGINALS of your previous marriage and divorce certificates for your Embassy.

I got my salary certification letter (1,200 ish) and my freedom to marry letter (1,700 ish) at the British Embassy here in Chiang Mai back pm same day.

For the translation i had mine done at Star Visa back in 2 days from Bangkok (3,000 baht thought was expensive) there are many other agents in Chiang Mai.