Baggage Claim Carousel Size?

wpcoe

I experienced my first Suvannabhumi arrival this past weekend with checked luggage.

Are the luggage carousels a standard size? Granted, I arrived on a full 747, but when the bags were coming up the conveyor belt to be dropped onto the revolving carousel, the bags were double-stacked ... meaning the outer perimeter of the carousel toward the passengers was full and a second layer was created above then, requiring people to reach waaay over to grab their large suitcases. I can't recall that ever being the case elsewhere. Yeah, sure, a couple bags always drop on top of another, but the almost the ENTIRE perimeter area was FULL and bags kept being added at a steady rate.

Can't wait to see what will happen when full A380's start arriving!

looked for me as in the other airports - at least you had a chance to get your luggage double speed

I heard an unconfirmed report that there are 200 army guys on duty down below in luggage helping out when the machines dont work so anything can happen....?

looked for me as in the other airports - at least you had a chance to get your luggage double speed

As I was standing there, I was trying to visualize the size of other airport's carousels. These are definitely smaller than Don Muang's when you consider that the old ones used to fan out toward the back wall and also run behind the wall outside. Gave a much longer moving space to hold bags. The downside to that was that it took longer for your bag to come around a second time in case you missed it the first round.

I hadn't thought about that: the speed of the bags appearing might be what caused the double-stacking. It was pretty much a non-stop flow of bags from down below. A seemingly endless flow since, of course, mine were amongst the last ones to appear.