Elderly people to receive another 100 baht monthly cost of living allowance

webfact

I agree that most people over 60 and especially over 70, do not want to work  How about in Europe, what is the age required before the government gives you a pension. In Canada it is 65 for most and maybe 67 for the young ones.  I just feel that us posters who come from a richer country, need to remember just how lucky we all are compared with the Poor Thais as many of these people cannot even afford to leave Thailand to visit anywhere else in the world.  Some have never left their country even once in their lives.   Geezer

On 10/6/2017 at 3:31 PM, ratcatcher said:

They leave that amount as a tip each day at the parliament canteen/mess hall/club or wherever they wine and dine. Frankly an insult to most Thais of senior age. that's about $3.00.

However we all understand there are greater priorities with this munificent government, trains, subs, helos etc etc.

But it was the same under every government that I know of going back to 1993 when I first came here.

My MIL got 600 a month when she lived up here with us for 4 or 5 years and she was 69 when she died.

My FIL is in hospital down in BKK with dengue fever and is having a hard time getting over it. He also has Alzheimers. My wife has been down there with him at the hospital for 12 days already.

I am expecting him to come and live with us soon. He is 82 or 83 so if he gets another 100 baht a month we will live high on the hog if we get our hands on his pension of 800 baht a month.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:05 AM, likewise said:

wow, their generosity has no limits :sad::saai:

A reply without much consideration of the true facts

This increase from 500 to 600 represents a 20% increase in overal terms for the government substantial, a long time since anyone in the UK saw that sort of increase percentage wise

Very easy to sit back and just be critical 

For Issan I see a lot of poverty yes, but very few not being looked after one way or another, taxation on the lower classes is almost non existent and looking after parents is merely indirect taxation

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I agree that most people over 60 and especially over 70, do not want to work  How about in Europe, what is the age required before the government gives you a pension. In Canada it is 65 for most and maybe 67 for the young ones.  I just feel that us posters who come from a richer country, need to remember just how lucky we all are compared with the Poor Thais as many of these people cannot even afford to leave Thailand to visit anywhere else in the world.  Some have never left their country even once in their lives.   Geezer

Some haven't or it would be extremely rare for them to even leave their local area. 

On 06/10/2017 at 3:25 PM, Misterwhisper said:

I wonder how those MPs would react if we raised their monthly salary or expense allowance by 100 baht.

its a 20% increase...UK pensioners are robbed blind year after year while the MPs cream off hundreds of thousands, seems Thai pensioners are well looked after.

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Insulting.

An over brief reply, and difficult to comprehend, maybe you are insulting our level of intelligence by so few words, or just want to create controversy

OR

Do you suggest a 20% substantial, in many  peoples view is insulting.

Rather than just throwing insults, it could help many if you were to elaborate further also with your proposals and how to fund them

Maybe taxes on foreigners living here 

What "sir" might you contribute to Thailand each year

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

its a 20% increase...UK pensioners are robbed blind year after year while the MPs cream off hundreds of thousands, seems Thai pensioners are well looked after.

Can you live on 600 baht a month or 20 baht a day?

I don't think that anybody can.

I know that my MIL couldn't, but it wasn't a problem as she lived with us in her own small house we built with her and FIL in mind.

If Thai pensioners are well looked after it is because the family support them instead of dumping them in a home as they do in the west.

By the time I'm 60, I'll hopefully have Thai citizenship and be able to claim this. 

Every little helps. I'll get about 10,000 baht a month from the UK govt when I'm 68. Should be enough to live on, house will be paid, have land to sell for emergencies. Kids will be adults. Will also get a few thousand a month and free health care for the money I've put into the Prakan Sang Kom. Obviously got a little nest egg as well just in case.

1 hour ago, MrPatrickThai said:

By the time I'm 60, I'll hopefully have Thai citizenship and be able to claim this. 

Every little helps. I'll get about 10,000 baht a month from the UK govt when I'm 68. Should be enough to live on, house will be paid, have land to sell for emergencies. Kids will be adults. Will also get a few thousand a month and free health care for the money I've put into the Prakan Sang Kom. Obviously got a little nest egg as well just in case.

10,000 Baht a Month ???..... surely get more than that , more like 35,000 Baht A Month....

On 07/10/2017 at 11:10 AM, colinneil said:

Sorry but i disagree with other posters on this subject.

I worked all my life to get a pittance of a pension from the UK.

My F.I.L. (Thai) has never paid income tax his whole life, he gets the small pension from the Thai government, having never contributed towards his pension.

My point is many old people here are getting a small pension for no input what so ever.

I agree with you, unbelievable I know, is going to be an interesting day.

Don't you get the full pension? 30k a month or so, would come in very handy for me.

What a shameful way to treat elderly poor people, it been 600bts for as long as I can remember and thats a disgrace what can you do with 600bts? 100bt increase is better than nothing but really they should be asking what amount should they really be paid, I think 7000bts a month would not be greedy.

Why do you need attack helicopters, who are you going to attack or who is going to attack Thailand? Same goes for the submarines, why and what for and the number 2 is useless, I could understand inshore coastal patrol craft but save the money and give it to the elderly poor, you know the ones you are going to inflict another 3% rise in VAT in the future!

Is it too much to ask for the powers that be to get their priorities right? Oh I forgot they have!!

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

What a shameful way to treat elderly poor people, it been 600bts for as long as I can remember and thats a disgrace what can you do with 600bts? 100bt increase is better than nothing but really they should be asking what amount should they really be paid, I think 7000bts a month would not be greedy.

Why do you need attack helicopters, who are you going to attack or who is going to attack Thailand? Same goes for the submarines, why and what for and the number 2 is useless, I could understand inshore coastal patrol craft but save the money and give it to the elderly poor, you know the ones you are going to inflict another 3% rise in VAT in the future!

Is it too much to ask for the powers that be to get their priorities right? Oh I forgot they have!!

Guess the boys have small wiener's, so they need big toys to make up for the short fall.

11 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

10,000 Baht a Month ???..... surely get more than that , more like 35,000 Baht A Month....

It depends what proportion of the old or new UK old-age-allowance you actually qualify for. :whistling:

However, UK-pensioners here in Thailand never ever get an increase, despite many having paid-in for 30+years. :wink:

Thai-pensioners at-least do get the occasional increase, albeeit diresory & from a very-low base.

The lesson for both countries is  ...  you're on-your-own !

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I agree with you, unbelievable I know, is going to be an interesting day.

Don't you get the full pension? 30k a month or so, would come in very handy for me.

The amount of pension that a person will receive under the present rules will depend on the number of contributions paid in and the rate of the pension at the time of retirement.

I get the full pension but at 2009 rates and it isn't 30k per month, of that I can assure you.

This scheme wont cost much because most poor Thais will not reach the age of 70 to claim their extra 100bts a month!

They should give everyone who are deemed as poor ( yes I know here thats everyone if it has gain involved ) a 10,000bts one off to have a good time before they pop their cloggs.