Driving my own Thai motorbike into Cambodia

Hi All,

Quick question. I live in Thai and have a regularly registered motorbike on my name as well as an International Driving Permit.

I'd like to drive to Phnom Penh for a few days and back to Thailand.

Can someone handhold me through this please?

I am concerned in particular with:

1 - Documents required.

2 - Which border posts

3 - Best route to follow

4 - Dangers and nuisances at the border and within Cambodia (assuming there are any worth mentioning).

Thanks in advance,

Straydog

Did it many times some three years ago. My info from back then: 

If it is a small bike - all you need is the green book, liability insurance, and the technical fitness card + copies.
can cross at Had Lek to Koh Kong (longer but more interesting route), Aran to Poipet (the shortest and easiest route, but can be harrassed at the crossing), and a few smaller crossings from Isaan.
Crossing at Ban Pakkard or Ban Laem can be problematic or impossible. 

No need to do any paperwork (nor any talks re the bike whatsoever) on the Cambodian side, just get your visa and drive on.

For big bike I don't know.

Much the same, I had to get an English translation of the green book and insurance from traffic in Nong Khai, it is illegal to drive with lights on during the day, so I fitted an extra switch but they did not check it, was not too difficult, fill out the temporary export form and then do the visa shit and all good.

7 hours ago, george pickford said:

you will be driving on the right side of the road there you have to change the wirers on your signal lights work opposite than thaland

Is left no longer left and right no longer right in Cambodia. It was last time I was there!

Are you suggesting to turn left he needs to activate his right hand indicator?

7 hours ago, george pickford said:

you will be driving on the right side of the road there you have to change the wirers on your signal lights work opposite than thaland

2 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Is left no longer left and right no longer right in Cambodia. It was last time I was there!

Are you suggesting to turn left he needs to activate his right hand indicator?

My sarcasm meter was pinging when I read George's post ...

Sarcasm.jpg.e5440c148aede87a9f18eef839801b2b.jpg

rosst points out an issue worth note. Rented Khmer bikes have the light switch so that you have to turn lights on/off. You will be fined if you have the light on during the day (I have no idea...). My Thai bike and I think it is pretty customary, has lights on automatically when the bike is operating.

On 10/7/2017 at 2:51 PM, george pickford said:

Why? A right turn from the right or left lane  is still a right turn. 

Thanks all... First of all I think I found a solution to the right-left debate. I will not change the indicators but I will drive with my arms crossed, left hand on the throttle..., that should do, it's only a few days.

Am a little anxious about the trip so forgive further questions.I will get evisa for Cambodia, right? Any recommendations on this?

On 10/7/2017 at 3:46 PM, MaksimMislavsky said:

If it is a small bike - all you need is the green book, liability insurance, and the technical fitness card + copies.

It is a small bike indeed (Honda PCX). What is the technical fitness card? I don't have one.

On 10/7/2017 at 6:37 PM, rosst said:

Much the same, I had to get an English translation of the green book and insurance from traffic in Nong Khai, it is illegal to drive with lights on during the day, so I fitted an extra switch but they did not check it, was not too difficult, fill out the temporary export form and then do the visa shit and all good.

I have the standard Thai insurance, will that suffice?

How is the translation to be? An official paper or just plain?

I am in BKK, do I need to go through an agency?

As for the lights, I intend to just cover them during the day with some dark paper, would that do?

On 10/7/2017 at 3:46 PM, MaksimMislavsky said:

can cross at Had Lek to Koh Kong (longer but more interesting route), Aran to Poipet (the shortest and easiest route, but can be harrassed at the crossing), and a few smaller crossings from Isaan.

What difference betweek Koh Kong and Poipet aside from the harassing?

How much longer is it please?

Further questions:

1 - Worth getting a SIM card (and where?) or should I roam with my Thai AIS?

2 - Where can I change money and should I bring cash Thai baht or US dollars?

3 - Aside from the dangers of riding, is it safe? Anything I should be wary of?

PS - Am an experienced traveller and biker, just not familiar with the country and I will be on my own.

STRAYDOG

I been there 50 times at  least...go to honda dealer in ko kong, will sell you a sim card and exchange money, sim card  they are hard to get...tell her Gary sent you....American

They know me well

You can bring Thai baht or dollar, they like dollar and u can get possibly a better rate...

They have ATM machines there, even Bangkok bank i believe.   ..Ko Kong use to belong to Thailand...Love that place...best motel is there by the river...

Wary...yes...They will steal your dirty under ware and not even reed it...anything...WARNING....careful..One couple had everything taken..The old fishing pole through the window while they asleep...cost them dearly...take a first aid kit with you/Basic..COULD COME IN HANDY

I also recommend Sihanoukville Cambodia, nice/fun

Unlike Thailand their are a lot of them that speak English...

Only in the big towns worry about lights on, 

Good luck, Watch out for the happy pizza and happy milkshakes, you be watching cartoons for days....

cross at Had Lek to Koh Kong )

CONTACT/LINE

mr.relentless

Note/ 

Dangerous winding roads..enroute to cambodia....Proably number one thing to worry about....Thats why i rent bike, Lock it down or put in room, Take pictures of rental or your bike....Cover ur asse everything just to be safe....