Laptop problem

gennisis

Others will know better than I, but I asked the same question and the answer I got was no. In terms of updates, security etc, it wouldn't make much sense either,. as XP is no longer supported and will because more and more vulnerable.  So I have just had to get used to Windows 10, but I too dont like it.  Such is progress. . 

Just right click the Windows icon to get a menu like in Windows 7.  But suspect you will like some of the Windows 10 left click features once you give it a try.

As said for security do not go back.  And this from someone in mid 70's with fond remembrance of Commodore 64. C64.jpg?resize=360%2C240 

1 hour ago, longball53098 said:

If you have used Win 7 then using 10 is not that hard to get into. Ask a computer geek friend to help you set up 10 to look like 7 or close to it and you will be happy after a week or so I think.

You should really give it a chance.

I have done similar and the small differences in handling compared to Win 7 are bearable.

If it's a (brand)new HP laptop you might even experience that there are no appropriate Win 7 drivers for certain hardware.

Win 7 is a legacy (but good) OS...it will no longer be supported for consumer security updates after 14 Jan 20 which will be here before you know it.....fewer people are using it everyday....basically it will turn into a XP type product over the coming  years (i.e., practically no support from Microsoft except maybe for business who pay for some continued support).    And some manufacturers of newer computers don't even provide Win 7 drivers anymore; only Win 8.X or Win 10....and I've heard a few don't even provide Win 8.X drivers for their newest devices since Win 8 failed with the public.

And Win XP support ended Apr 2014...no security updates for over 3 years now...it's an OS that now surely has plenty of wide-open doors & windows for hackers/viruses.

I switched to Win 10 on day one of it's public release...29 Jul 15...been happy with in on my two Lenovo laptops.

Is the Win 10 interface/menus different from Win 7?   Yes, but you can still see many of the Win 7 menus in Win 10.  And quite frankly many of the Win 10 menus are better than Win 7.

It just takes a couple of weeks to months to get use to Win 10.  I wouldn't go back to Win 7 except maybe if someone had a gun to my head.....and once they left I would reinstall Win 10 and get a gun.

On 10/11/2017 at 8:40 AM, longball53098 said:

If you have used Win 7 then using 10 is not that hard to get into. Ask a computer geek friend to help you set up 10 to look like 7 or close to it and you will be happy after a week or so I think.

this.jpg.832c6aa5df514eec2bdfdd09a62dbebb.jpg

one thing I don't like about win10 is the 'settings' button...much nicer was the win7 'control panel' which I managed to retrieve in win10 but I can't remember how I did it...I got the win7 control panel button on my tool bar and never use the win10 'settings' feature...

and how about that win10 'edge' browser? I got about the same use fer that as I did fer IE and .pdf and other stuff can't be retrieved in win10 without activating 'edge'...rubbish...

no doubt that win10 has got some annoying features...but ye gotta have it, mostly fer security's sake...

put on 'Classic start' available from ninite.com, just tick classic start under Utilities, and ninite will do the rest, well after you press ' get your ninite'

you may have trouble with drivers for an older version of windows.

Edited by steve187

7 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

one thing I don't like about win10 is the 'settings' button...much nicer was the win7 'control panel' which I managed to retrieve in win10 but I can't remember how I did it...I got the win7 control panel button on my tool bar and never use the win10 'settings' feature...

and how about that win10 'edge' browser? I got about the same use fer that as I did fer IE and .pdf and other stuff can't be retrieved in win10 without activating 'edge'...rubbish...

no doubt that win10 has got some annoying features...but ye gotta have it, mostly fer security's sake...

Agree settings takes some time finding things but seems to work fine.  But not sure what you are talking about PDF as I never use Edge but Chrome displays them fine and Foxit Reader still works great.  Understand Edge browser is less CPU intensive (which may be a deciding advantage on low spec machines) but I find Chrome works fine on my computer, which is far from a gaming system..

7 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

This article explains, among other things, how to get Control Panel to appear on the WinX menu (the menu that pops up when you right click on the start button).
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/add-control-panel-and-command-prompt-winx-menu-windows-10

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Agree settings takes some time finding things but seems to work fine.  But not sure what you are talking about PDF as I never use Edge but Chrome displays them fine and Foxit Reader still works great.  Understand Edge browser is less CPU intensive (which may be a deciding advantage on low spec machines) but I find Chrome works fine on my computer, which is far from a gaming system..

in win10 when I open a .pdf file while using chrome the edge browser appears...then after downloading when I go to retrieve and open the same file edge appears again...does this happen to anyone else? very annoying...maybe some switch that's buried in 'settings' that I don't know about...

14 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

in win10 when I open a .pdf file while using chrome the edge browser appears...then after downloading when I go to retrieve and open the same file edge appears again...does this happen to anyone else? very annoying...maybe some switch that's buried in 'settings' that I don't know about...

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/set-chrome-pdf-reader/