Mazda Navigator - does it worth it?

roufma

For my recently bought Mazda, the dealer asked for additional 12,000 for a memory card which supposedly contains a navigator. Does the benefit worth the price? almost at the same price level, (Bhat 12400) Garmin Driveassit 50LM is being sold in the market? Is that a better deal than the Mazda original navigator?

Or, should I just forget these navigators altogether and just stick to google maps/waze on my smartphone.

Looking forward to expert's opinion.

Thanks.  

We have in our Mazda’s (CX-3 and CX-5) because it was included in the package. It is not bad, but GoogleMaps is better. I only use the build-in system, when I want where a special Soi is (at night) or I need an overview. It also shows pump stations, which GoogleMaps doesn’t have (yet).

Mazda will support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in the future and you can upgrade current cars. But we don‘t know when.

I recommend to use GoogleMaps and don‘t buy a Garmin or similar. GoogleMaps is now very useful in Thailand. It is still not perfect but I like the very accurate live traffic situation. And you plan and manage your saved location from every device (at home) and don’t have to sit in the car.

So in short: don’t buy the Mazda Navigator.

9 hours ago, juehoe said:

We have in our Mazda’s (CX-3 and CX-5) because it was included in the package. It is not bad, but GoogleMaps is better. I only use the build-in system, when I want where a special Soi is (at night) or I need an overview. It also shows pump stations, which GoogleMaps doesn’t have (yet).

Mazda will support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in the future and you can upgrade current cars. But we don‘t know when.

I recommend to use GoogleMaps and don‘t buy a Garmin or similar. GoogleMaps is now very useful in Thailand. It is still not perfect but I like the very accurate live traffic situation. And you plan and manage your saved location from every device (at home) and don’t have to sit in the car.

Very true Juehoe..In Car GPS are useless,Ive had them for years,cant get away from them in top models, i like to sit in Amazon and enjoy chosing a route, not hunched up over a screen, theres 3 maps on my phone, but i prefer the "HERE we go" app, theres more roads and places in English Language, and the Lady doesnt have that droneing American twang on the Carplayback thingy like Google and incar ones.

Don't place all your faith in Google maps either, still informs you to do a right turn at a major intersection on the Sukhumvit. Try doing it and your looking at a few days on hospital food if you survive the carnage.

You should watch the roads with every GPS system and newer follow them blindly and without using common sense!

The main problem in Bangkok is that the high buildings and the elevated highways blocks the view towards the satellites. I often had the problem (with all GPS systems), that they loose the orientation or the actual positions is some tenths of meters further. So I missed some turns or chose the wrong lane...

But I always got back on track very fast. The route recalculation of Google Maps is always very fast. But GoogleMaps works very accurate outside of the center of Bangkok.

Sometimes, the GPS systems don’t know chances like new or closed roads. I assume, that the updates in Thailand are less frequent than in Europe.

21 hours ago, juehoe said:

Thanks much; very helpful.