Computer illiterate

oldsailor35

Problem.

Whilst in the UK on holiday my nephew who knew that i needed a new laptop, gave me his previous one as he had up graded for his business.

The laptop is an ADVENT MONZA T200 and in perfect condition but with Windows 8.  My nephew cleaned everything off it and loaded a new p/w. all working ok.

I was advised to get windows 10 so took it to a tech who said that he could do it for me. When i went back to collect, he said that Windows10 is installed but will not accept the p/w which my nephew put on.

The tech said that he cannot help as the Bios p/w might now be locked.

What is  he saying, does this mean that the laptop is permenantly  locked and is no use to me ever.

Perhaps there is a puter whizz out there who can advise me what to do if anything is possible.

Any constructive advice or help would be gratefully received, thank you.

On 12/10/2017 at 2:51 PM, oldsailor35 said:

I was advised to get windows 10 so took it to a tech who said that he could do it for me. When i went back to collect, he said that Windows10 is installed but will not accept the p/w which my nephew put on.

The tech said that he cannot help as the Bios p/w might now be locked.

What is  he saying, does this mean that the laptop is permenantly  locked and is no use to me ever.

That tech man sounds like an idiot. Avoid him. But good luck finding anyone better in Thailand.

As mentioned, it is possible to reset the BIOS password. I think it unlikely that your nephew actually set a BIOS password anyway. It is much more likely that he set a Windows password. Have you asked him what he did? What actually happens on-screen when you start the laptop now?

A Thai technician is likely to have installed some sort of pirated version of Win10 rather than doing a proper upgrade from Win8 to Win10 using official MS software. This should be avoided for obvious reasons.  Either way, it would not be possible to install Win10 without either knowing the existing Windows password or resetting it. It would also be necessary to know any BIOS password that was set. So if he has installed some sort of Win10 then at some point he must either have known or reset the password(s), and that must have worked. You could question him about this but good luck getting a sensible answer: he will more interested in protecting his backside.

At the very worst you can reset the BIOS password, wipe the drive and reinstall Win8 using MS media and the original product key. Then upgrade to Win10 yourself if you wish.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

That tech man sounds like an idiot. Avoid him. But good luck finding anyone better in Thailand.

As mentioned, it is possible to reset the BIOS password. I think it unlikely that your nephew actually set a BIOS password anyway. It is much more likely that he set a Windows password. Have you asked him what he did? What actually happens on-screen when you start the laptop now?

A Thai technician is likely to have installed some sort of pirated version of Win10 rather than doing a proper upgrade from Win8 to Win10 using official MS software. This should be avoided for obvious reasons.  Either way, it would not be possible to install Win10 without either knowing the existing Windows password or resetting it. It would also be necessary to know any BIOS password that was set. So if he has installed some sort of Win10 then at some point he must either have known or reset the password(s), and that must have worked. You could question him about this but good luck getting a sensible answer: he will more interested in protecting his backside.

At the very worst you can reset the BIOS password, wipe the drive and reinstall Win8 using MS media and the original product key. Then upgrade to Win10 yourself if you wish.

Yes KK i think that you correct in every way . Nephew set p/w for  windows 8.  Have found an Indian tech who got straight to the problem . Non genuine windows 10 downloaded. He is going to sort it out from bios pw and  put windows 8 back ,

11 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Yes KK i think that you correct in every way . Nephew set p/w for  windows 8.  Have found an Indian tech who got straight to the problem . Non genuine windows 10 downloaded. He is going to sort it out from bios pw and  put windows 8 back ,

Once you get your Windows 8 back, you (or your Indian tech guy) can upgrade to a fully legal Windows 10 by following the procedure at the link below.  It works regardless of whether you use the "assistive technologies" features of Windows.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

On 10/13/2017 at 8:35 PM, oldsailor35 said:

One problem, the Indian tech suddenly 'smells' a big payday !

1 hour ago, oldsailor35 said:

One problem, the Indian tech suddenly 'smells' a big payday !

Sounds like B1500 minimum to me. At this point you'd come out cheaper to install Win 10 yourself like this:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3198745/windows/how-to-install-windows-10-on-a-usb-drive-with-microsofts-media-creation-tool.html

Using a cheap key bought off the net like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/09/03/getting-a-windows-product-key-on-the-cheap/

https://hardforum.com/threads/windows-10-pro-office-2016-pro-oem.1935737/

I'm doubting there's a BIOS password. If there were, your tech couldn't have installed the cracked Win 10, which was a fresh install w/o the old account name & password set up. Maybe doesn't know about fancy stuff like "accounts." Why don't you just ask your nephew? He in witness protection now?

Some good advice about but a few pointers;

You talk about Win8, is it Win8 or 8.1. To do the official win 10 upgrade you will need to have upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 and need the original product key from your son.

Your other option is to go for the straight upgrade as shown by Jsixpack above and crack the verification with KMSpico if no key is available.

The best way if it is still available is to make sure you have win8.1 and the original key from your son.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:35 PM, oldsailor35 said:

I'm certain that there's no BIOS password. PM me if you need assistance. 

Archived