Opening a Bank account in. Bangkok

On 12/10/2017 at 7:51 PM, Aditi Sharma said:

Just trying to understand the gentleman's need which in all likelihood the bank official is unlikely to do. I have yet to come across a Swede who is touchy about being asked why he wanted to open a bank account in Thailand.

How many Swedes did you ask?

(Seems a peculiar life you lead)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

How many Swedes did you ask?

(Seems a peculiar life you lead)

Hi, if you are a Swede and my asking the question in an open moderated forum has offended you then I am sorry. Of course I wouldnt ask the question in so many words if I were a bank clerk which I am happily not. But I was curious to know why he wanted to open a bank account when he was travelling in Thailand as a tourist. Of course he might have long term plans in Kingdom. If you thought my asking to probe and see if there was something to learn of his need to do so was disparaging of Swedes in general, again, I am very sorry. If you can list a few reasons why anybody as a tourist would want to open a bank account, it will be highly appreciated. Cheers!

15 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

I have spent time in Sweden. Maybe they do communicate differently elsewhere, I dont know. Feel free, am very tolerant :)

Sounds like you were there for a long time.  Which visa did you have and why did you leave?

On 10/12/2017 at 7:44 PM, Essecola said:

I opened a bank account near Asok. I have a tourist visa. They asked for address but needed no proof of it. Just passport.

Why don't you give the bank name and location ? 

How long ago was it ?

I don't think it is that easy anymore. 

I have bank accounts with Bangkok Bank, but I tried to open a new one at different branches, the answer was: need "confirmation address" by consulate or immigration. I'm on retirement extension not even on tourist visa. 

Edited by Foozool

47 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Sounds like you were there for a long time.  Which visa did you have and why did you leave?

H! Seemed like I was there a long time but not, maybe a month. I wasnt a visa-permit aficionado so couldnt tell ya exactly but the Schengen let me freely into Germany and Belgium too and from there I got back to India a changed person. I wasnt consciously keeping records really, I should've :-(  Looking for the passport is a task but if I find it I will let you know. Why did I leave? Couldn't sleep. Thanks

31 minutes ago, Foozool said:

Why don't you give the bank name and location ? 

How long ago was it ?

I don't think it is that easy anymore. 

I have bank accounts with Bangkok Bank, but I tried to open a new one at different branches, the answer was: need "confirmation address" by consulate or immigration. I'm on retirement extension not even on tourist visa. 

I guess for multiple bank accounts they ask. Its like multiple swipes of ur credit card triggers a phone call or a block. No?

On 10/12/2017 at 5:41 PM, ManilaJoe said:

Go to the Mabokhlong shopping center. When visiting Bangkok its a must anyway. Many banks there will be more than happy to open an account for you,

Manila-Joe

For the record it's Mahboonkrong. But most locals know it as MBK. And show your passport at the Information counter for a free discount card.

Edited by jgarbo

1 hour ago, jgarbo said:

For the record it's Mahboonkrong. But most locals know it as MBK. And show your passport at the Information counter for a free discount card.

According to the Wikipedia, MBK was named after the parents of the developer Sirichai Bulakul, Mah & Boonkrong, whose statues are located on the ground floor. How can the free discount card advantage the OP with his bank account. Waive off some fee maybe? Would you know how many fee-free withdrawals can be made with an ATM card? And which bank gives the best deal? Thanks

The final answer after 5 pages of nothingness and no specific Bank or location can be named or confirmed is :

OP, absolutely not you cannot now open a bank account in Bangkok with a tourist Visa.

If you want to pay then try going to an agency.  Many on Soi 13 near Trendy.  Maybe if you pay an agent enough they can help you.  Maybe.

Good luck.

19 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

Which sentence or where did I say it is a requirement from embassies to the indivduals? 

I stated the requirements of Bangkok Bank and how to get a savings account with them for sure. Thats all.

I did not dictate anything at all. I think you are too fast to presume here.

From my experience, Singapore embassy gave a quite a few Letter of recommendations to open all my saving accounts in Thailans. Thank you.

PS. I have read from other British Nationals here who had gotten their letter of recommendation from British embassy in TVF.

"Which sentence or where did I say it is a requirement from embassies to the indivduals?"

Probably nowhere but then I'm not going to try to find it because I didn't say that you did say that!

"I stated the requirements of Bangkok Bank and how to get a savings account with them for sure. Thats all."

That's not all.  The reason this started was you specifically advised the OP to get a recommendation letter from his Embassy, saying it was an easy 10 minute exercise.  That is telling the OP that his Embassy will provide a letter to assist in opening an acoount.  That's a lot more than stating one of BBL's requirements.

"I did not dictate anything at all. I think you are too fast to presume here."

Perhaps it was you being too fast by speculating that the OP's Embassy will provide a bank reference letter.

"From my experience, Singapore embassy gave a quite a few Letter of recommendations to open all my saving accounts in Thailans."

Very strange that you choose to bring that up so late in the discussion when it is so relevant.

"PS. I have read from other British Nationals here who had gotten their letter of recommendation from British embassy in TVF."

Really, but no link to the subject?  The subject doesn't come up in a search, oddly enough, I suppose the forum must be hiding the posts.

4 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

I guess for multiple bank accounts they ask. Its like multiple swipes of ur credit card triggers a phone call or a block. No?

In my case perhaps I could open a new account without address confirmation if I try some different branches. As I could open a safe diposite box account without any address confirmation letter. 

But 2 years ago I tried many branches in different areas with tourist visa, the answer was:

either workpermit or letter from consulate. 

7 minutes ago, Foozool said:

In my case perhaps I could open a new account without address confirmation if I try some different branches. As I could open a safe diposite box account without any address confirmation letter. 

But 2 years ago I tried many branches in different areas with tourist visa, the answer was:

either workpermit or letter from consulate. 

The arbitrariness only increases the charm. Unless I was there for the long-term I would not feel secure opening an account. 

6 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:
6 hours ago, Foozool said:

No.  I had the same issue with a different branch of Bangkok Bank.  So I went back to the branch where I opened the original account, and they happily opened another account for me - no "proof of residency" or "recommendation letter" or etc. 

The issue is each Bank Branch's Policy.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Which sentence or where did I say it is a requirement from embassies to the indivduals?"

Probably nowhere but then I'm not going to try to find it because I didn't say that you did say that!

"I stated the requirements of Bangkok Bank and how to get a savings account with them for sure. Thats all."

That's not all.  The reason this started was you specifically advised the OP to get a recommendation letter from his Embassy, saying it was an easy 10 minute exercise.  That is telling the OP that his Embassy will provide a letter to assist in opening an acoount.  That's a lot more than stating one of BBL's requirements.

"I did not dictate anything at all. I think you are too fast to presume here."

Perhaps it was you being too fast by speculating that the OP's Embassy will provide a bank reference letter.

"From my experience, Singapore embassy gave a quite a few Letter of recommendations to open all my saving accounts in Thailans."

Very strange that you choose to bring that up so late in the discussion when it is so relevant.

"PS. I have read from other British Nationals here who had gotten their letter of recommendation from British embassy in TVF."

Really, but no link to the subject?  The subject doesn't come up in a search, oddly enough, I suppose the forum must be hiding the posts.

Seriously I am just offering help to the OP by offering information thats is accurately accordingly to the requirments of Bangkok Bank in Thailand.

And I have open a few bank accounts with different banks here as well following the rules set by the banks here so I did not leave it to chance but had all proper documents as per required by the banks.

I honestly do not know what is your issue? Is it to just come here and argue against every single comment here like how I see you are doing to me and others? Or are you sincerely offering help to the OP? What have you done so far for the OP besides trying to argues against me or some others here who have had real 1st hand experience with real bank accounts in Thailand?

So far I have had the pleasure of helping provide accurate info for opening of bank account on tourist visa for most of my friends and some other expats I have came across in Thailand without leaving it up to chance. 

I have aldy provided links to the banks website in my earlier post to the OP.

As for you I would suggest you google the info you want for yourself either that or get a life be really try to be more helpful here in this forum, instead of asking me silly questions and stating i said this or that, when I did not at all. 

Go back and read all your own comments and see if they are in anyway productive or helpful for the OP.

All my comments and statements for opening bank account while on tourist visa are easily back by the link for Bangkok Bank's I had provided. 

For who said an account can't be opened with a tourist visa and who told me to post what bank I got my account at, I will just say that a few legal service places offer assistance to open an account. It is not free but the fee I paid is worth (to me anyway) the benefits I will get from the account. I was happy to pay the fee but I know not every person would be chuffed to get an account that way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonmoon said:

So far I have had the pleasure of helping provide accurate info for opening of bank account on tourist visa for most of my friends and some other expats I have came across in Thailand without leaving it up to chance. 

Sir, if I opened an account with, lets say, Citibank, would I be offered the same benefits as Bangkok Bank? Citibank did not offer me migration benefits when I moved funds from the US to India; they opened a new account for me here. Will my account in Mumbai help me open another account in Bangkok with same benefits as a new customer? The idea is to move funds between accounts as seamlessly and of course I wouldnt mind leaving a minimum in my Thai Citi account when I am not there.

Edited by Aditi Sharma
edit

On 10/13/2017 at 4:27 PM, golden farang said:

Not easy to open bank account. They not want farangs to them banks. Kasikorn would open if have work visa but not with non o or retirement visa. Gone are the days of "Love farang" signs and opening bank account with tourist visa.

I opened a bank account with Kasikorn. All they required was a copy of my passport. No questions what so ever about visa status. This was not, admittedly, in Bangkok though.

1 minute ago, puchooay said:

I opened a bank account with Kasikorn. All they required was a copy of my passport. No questions what so ever about visa status. This was not, admittedly, in Bangkok though.

How did you get to choose Kasikorn? Can you please tell?

2 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Sir, if I opened an account with, lets say, Citibank, would I be offered the same benefits as Bangkok Bank? Citibank did not offer me migration benefits when I moved funds from the US to India; they opened a new account for me here. Will my account in Mumbai help me open another account in Bangkok with same benefits as a new customer? The idea is to move funds between accounts as seamlessly and of course I wouldnt mind leaving a minimum in my Thai Citi account when I am not there.

Hi Aditi, 

I am unfamiliar with citibank as I do not have an account with em. 

Sorry for not being able to help you there. 

Dont call me Sir. Just moon, or dude will do. ?

Edited by Moonmoon
  • Like 1

A while ago i opened a bank account at Krungsri with a tourist visa, they just wanted to see a rental contact of at least 6 months (they don't check if it's real ;))

If somebody wants to give it a try you could report back here if it's still works like this.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Hi Aditi, 

I am unfamiliar with citibank as I do not have an account with em. 

Sorry for not being able to help you there. 

Dont call me Sir. Just moon, or dude will do. ?

Thanks Moon! 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

As already mentioned above, larger Bangkok banks will do that for you without a problem.

When i tried to open a bank account at Bangkok bank it seemed impossible, i was at about 5 different branches across Bangkok, they always said without a work permit i can't open a bank account (i even showed them their own website where they write that it's possible to open a bank account with a tourist visa)

So at which branch did you open a bank account with just a tourist visa?

Edited by jackdd

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

When i tried to open a bank account at Bangkok bank it seemed impossible, i was at about 5 different branches across Bangkok, they always said without a work permit i can't open a bank account (i even showed them their own website where they write that it's possible to open a bank account with a tourist visa)

So at which branch did you open a bank account with just a tourist visa?

And to add to jackdd's question, if I may, what type of bank account was it?