Bye-bye 12 Month Non Im B Visas!

It very much looks like a 12 month Non Immigrant B visa has ceased to exist, except in the country of your origin.

Today I spent a small fortune phoning Thai embassies in Indonesia, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore and Malaysia. The story was the same throughout - 90 days only. None of them will issue a 12 month multiple entry Non Im B, even though I have all the papers, work permit and pay tax.

Oddly, the same theme kept cropping up - which I just can't understand. I asked - can you issue a 12 month Non Im B visa: answer - yes we can (from HK, Sg and Jakarta). Then I was asked - when does your work permit expire. I answered - in 2 weeks time, matched to my visa. They then said - oh, sorry, then we can only give you a three-month visa.

What on earth is the thinking behind this!

Is it now the Thai Government policy to refuse ANY visas of more than 3 months? (except for residents and retirees?)

I suppose that for most people it's no big deal to go half way across the world every 15 months just in order for them to be allowed to come back here and work again. But for me, it's simply not viable. What a pain!

Rob

Edited by robsamui

From others I get the impression that work permits are often, if not always, issued for a year but only active for the period of your current stay. Have you read all the work permit? I have never had or seen so not much help I know, but do recall that there is an oddity about expiration date.

It very much looks like a 12 month Non Immigrant B visa has ceased to exist, except in the country of your origin.

Today I spent a small fortune phoning Thai embassies in Indonesia, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore and Malaysia. The story was the same throughout - 90 days only. None of them will issue a 12 month multiple entry Non Im B, even though I have all the papers, work permit and pay tax.

Oddly, the same theme kept cropping up - which I just can't understand. I asked - can you issue a 12 month Non Im B visa: answer - yes we can (from HK, Sg and Jakarta). Then I was asked - when does your work permit expire. I answered - in 2 weeks time, matched to my visa. They then said - oh, sorry, then we can only give you a three-month visa.

Is it now the Thai Government policy to refuse ANY visas of more than 3 months? (except for residents and retirees?)

I suppose that for most people it's no big deal to go half way across the world every 15 months just in order for them to be allowed to come back here and work again. But for me, it's simply not viable. What a pain!

Rob

Why can you not renew you non im B in country. I always do!

From others I get the impression that work permits are often, if not always, issued for a year but only active for the period of your current stay. Have you read all the work permit? I have never had or seen so not much help I know, but do recall that there is an oddity about expiration date.

When your work permit is first issued, it is dated to expire on the same date as your length of stay in Thailand - ie, with a multiple-entry visa, you get a 90-day stamp on entry. When you then renew your work permit, it's dated to match that 90-day stamp, and so on. Needless to say, you make sure that you go out and come back in before your 90 day period, so that your work permit doesn't expire and can be renewed.

When I started working about 2 years ago, I was issued (Penang) with a one-year visa. Now these are not being issued by anyone, it seems, other than a thai embassy in your country of origin.

Rob

The validity of the WP is always connected to the permission to stay.

When I extent my permission to stay, which usually brings the "under consideration-stamp", I extent the WP to the date shown there. Usually one month. Once the anual extension is granted, the WP follows.

Rob

Why don't you READ my posting!

I suppose you mean "in your own country"?

I suppose you have family and friends you can stay with? A bank account with savings in it and a credit card or two? People to visit and catch up with? I suppose you enjoy going "home" every year for a nice with with folks? Well, would you do this if you had no family and friends and had to stay in a hotel, after having changed all your baht into stirling, just so you could come back here again?

Like it said - for me it's simply not viable.

Rob

When I extent my permission to stay, which usually brings the "under consideration-stamp", I extent the WP to the date shown there. Usually one month. Once the anual extension is granted, the WP follows.

this is a grey area for me that I don't fully understand - BUT from what you say, it sounds like you are able to extend your visa for 12 months. As far as I understand it, you can only apply to do this if you have 800,000 baht in the bank, or are married to a Thai National - neither of which I have or I am!

Rob

I will be in touch with the Thai Embassy here in the Philippines tomorrow, I'll see what I can find out and report back.

Thanks Sqdnguns, but I phoned them today and the nice lady was quite firm that they're only doing a 3 month visa. I'll be interested to see if you get a different story!

Rob

this is a grey area for me that I don't fully understand - BUT from what you say, it sounds like you are able to extend your visa for 12 months. As far as I understand it, you can only apply to do this if you have 800,000 baht in the bank, or are married to a Thai National - neither of which I have or I am!

Rob

No Rob,

the 'B' is connected to the business. Minimum-equity of the company must be Baht 1 million. Main requirements:

A recommendation letter from the company showing the positions of the applicant as well as the position of all foreigners working in the company and for what reasons these aliens must be employed.

Work permit or the receipt showing the alien has applied for such a permit from the Ministry of labour and Social welfare.

The alien’s personal tax details including: balance, profit and loss, entity income tax, Vat records for the past year.

I am doing the annual extension for years, but never sure what happens next time.

I will be in touch with the Thai Embassy here in the Philippines tomorrow, I'll see what I can find out and report back.

Thanks Sqdnguns, but I phoned them today and the nice lady was quite firm that they're only doing a 3 month visa. I'll be interested to see if you get a different story!

Rob

oooo - ps ...

you might let them know that Penang initially issued me with a 12 month visa. This expired in November 2006 - after the visa laws shake-up - and I was subsequently given only 3 months. I have all the paperwork and a current work permit (that expires concurrent with my visa.)

R

I undertook the same task yesterday - no chanve of a multi non B, apart from your home country. Odly, i didnt even expect to ne eligble for a 12 month multi non B as i dont work here.... but my embassy back home said i was pretty much certain to get one.

I even pointed out that I dont work here and have two rather heavy old overstay stamps in my passport from last year, both for 2 months, and asked if this would impair my chance of getting a 12 month non B visa - no worries they said, makes no difference.

To this end - I would appreciate a little advice; For me, this return trip to get my visa at home including the cost of the visa, flight, hotel, travel etc, will run to around 70,000 Baht. I dont mind spending it so much if I am going to get a nice clean and legal 12 month visa - but considering i have 2 long overstay stamps in my passport, do you think it would be wise to get a new passport while i am home and start again?

I only ask this as i worry that i may get a 12 month visa back home, but when i try to use it they may turn me away at the border for being a 'serial overstayer' in the past. It would be a great shame to go too so much hassle and cost to get turned down when i try and use my visa on entry to the Kingdom.

Thinking about it.... is it even possible to get a new passport when the current one is only a year old anyway, and is not damaged?

Rob

No Rob,

the 'B' is connected to the business. Minimum-equity of the company must be Baht 1 million. Main requirements:

A recommendation letter from the company showing the positions of the applicant as well as the position of all foreigners working in the company and for what reasons these aliens must be employed.

Work permit or the receipt showing the alien has applied for such a permit from the Ministry of labour and Social welfare.

The alien’s personal tax details including: balance, profit and loss, entity income tax, Vat records for the past year.

I am doing the annual extension for years, but never sure what happens next time.

OK...I realise this, and I have all the paperwork, as already mentioned. One of the guys I work with is in an identical situation, but was able to apply for a 12-month extension on the grounds of his being married. As a result, he has a 12-month visa - single entry - and doesn't need to leave the country untill it has expired (effectively 15 months).

On the other hand, this was issued about 9 months ago, so it might be interesting to see what happens next time he comes to renew it!

R

Rob

oooo - ps ...

you might let them know that Penang initially issued me with a 12 month visa. This expired in November 2006 - after the visa laws shake-up - and I was subsequently given only 3 months. I have all the paperwork and a current work permit (that expires concurrent with my visa.)

R

Thanks Rob..........We'll see what we can find out. I may have my fiance give a call too to see what she hears from them.

I undertook the same task yesterday - no chanve of a multi non B, apart from your home country. Odly, i didnt even expect to ne eligble for a 12 month multi non B as i dont work here.... but my embassy back home said i was pretty much certain to get one.

I even pointed out that I dont work here and have two rather heavy old overstay stamps in my passport from last year, both for 2 months, and asked if this would impair my chance of getting a 12 month non B visa - no worries they said, makes no difference.

To this end - I would appreciate a little advice; For me, this return trip to get my visa at home including the cost of the visa, flight, hotel, travel etc, will run to around 70,000 Baht. I dont mind spending it so much if I am going to get a nice clean and legal 12 month visa - but considering i have 2 long overstay stamps in my passport, do you think it would be wise to get a new passport while i am home and start again?

I only ask this as i worry that i may get a 12 month visa back home, but when i try to use it they may turn me away at the border for being a 'serial overstayer' in the past. It would be a great shame to go too so much hassle and cost to get turned down when i try and use my visa on entry to the Kingdom.

Thinking about it.... is it even possible to get a new passport when the current one is only a year old anyway, and is not damaged?

StickKettkeOn - where did you try to get the visa? What passport do you hold? If it's UK then Birmingham and Hull will do it by return of post and you can download the application forms from their websites.

If you "lose" your passport, then you will be eligible to apply for a replacement. I'm not sure as to what effect the overatys might have, but, of course, you'll be prudent enough to have made photocopies of the back pages ...

Rob

Are the Asian Thai embassies still issuing the one year multiple entry non-immigrant visa based on being married to a Thai?

I have seen on this site before that you can get a one year multiple entry non-immigrant visa for being married to a Thai. This was used by people who didn't have the money to qualify for the marriage visa. It sounds it essentially works as a marriage visa but it just means you have to leave the country every 90 days.

Any word on this? This is not a "B" visa, but a "?". Anyone know?

Same here.

My WP and multiple entry Non-Imm B visa is up for renewal at the end of next month... I just contacted my employment agency who handles these and asked if there had been any problems renewing for 12 months recently... the answer... none whatsoever (from the Chonburi Immigration office).

:o

Same here.

My WP and multiple entry Non-Imm B visa is up for renewal at the end of next month... I just contacted my employment agency who handles these and asked if there had been any problems renewing for 12 months recently... the answer... none whatsoever (from the Chonburi Immigration office).

So your company is in business long enough to comply with the new rules (Capital, income or profit). Good for you, but no help for start-ups ...

Sunny

Same here.

You have a extension of stay based on business, this is not a problem if you qualify.

The OP is talking about a non immigrant visa obtained at a Embassy/Consulate. KL will issue in certain situations if you have had the work permit for over 6 months, paid tax and are European or American. They also are more prone to grant it, if the paid up capital is more than 2 million Baht.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Same here.

Hello Mr Moderator! Well, this is interesting. So your local immigration office has told you that there is no problem in going to another country - ie Malaysia? - and getting another 12 month visa? Or have I mis-read this?

Well, 3 months ago I phoned the Thai embassy in Penang and was told yes - but when I got there they would only give me 3 months (and ALL repeat - ALL my paperwork was fine! it wasn't as if I hadn't got some of the documents or anything.) And, like I said if you phone any of the embassies, they'll tell you that they're not issuing any 12 month visas!

Over to you!

Rob

You have a extension of stay based on business, this is not a problem if you qualify.

The OP is talking about a non immigrant visa obtained at a Embassy/Consulate. KL will issue in certain situations if you have had the work permit for over 6 months, paid tax and are European or American. They also are more prone to grant it, if the paid up capital is more than 2 million Baht.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Hello again Sunbelt.

I began my work permit in March 2005. I have paid full tax as an employee and have the tax documents from the govt for last year, plus also 3 months PND#1 - as well as all the required company documents from my employer. The company is capitalised at 8 million baht and I have a UK passport.

So - what's the chance of KL coming up with 12 months? (Happy grin ...)

Rob

Rob

What a truckload of rumor mongering BS!!

My working associate just came back from KL with his one year(12 month!) b-visa. All his paper work and WP were in order. No drama and he isn't Malaysian!

Robbiesamui If you don't know what you're smoking out there but <deleted> if you don't know what you're talking about!

If what you claim was true we'd be hearing a lot more about it because it would really be a major shakeup for people who work for a living and businesses here.

Edited by kasi

You have misread. He gets an extension of stay from immigration each year on the basis of his employment, just as other use marriage or retirement. Different rules but the effect is the same. You don't need new visas.

Ah - thank you for pointing this out. OK - as an employee, how do I get such an extension? This is what my co-worker has, and from what he told me, it was granted on the strength of being married to a Thai National. As I understand it, other than this, one needs 800,000 in the bank to qualify?

I'd be grateful if you could explain the process of getting an extension!

Thanks,

Rob

Rob

My working associate just came back from KL with his one year(12 month!) b-visa. All his paper work and WP were in order. No drama and he isn't Malaysian!

Robbiesamui I don't know what you're smoking out there but <deleted> if you don't know what you're talking about!

If what you claim was true we'd be hearing a lot more about it because it would really be a major shakeup for people who work for a living and businesses here.

Oh my, what a nice polite person - we really need more folks like this to brighten our days.

So - YOU try phoning all the embassies like I did, and see what they say. If there's any CR-P being spouted here it's from the embassies, as all I'm doing is relating what they said to me.

Rob

Oh my, what a nice polite person - we really need more folks like this to brighten our days.

So - YOU try phoning all the embassies like I did, and see what they say. If there's any CR-P being spouted here it's from the embassies, as all I'm doing is relating what they said to me.

Rob

Do your research properly and you wouldn't be posting an alarmist thread like this.

Getting your information from embassy flunkies isn't proper research, sorry to inform you.

If you have a proper lawyer and proper paperwork and a valid WP you can get a 12 month b-visa, end of story.

There is way too much stupidity being wantonly flung about here. Don't ad to it!

Robbiesamui If you don't know what you're smoking out there but <deleted> if you don't know what you're talking about!

There's no need for aggressive posts such as this.

The OP has simply posted his personal experience and come here asking for advice/help.

Rob

Do your research properly and you wouldn't be posting an alarmist thread like this.

Getting your information from embassy flunkies isn't proper research, sorry to inform you.

If you have a proper lawyer and proper paperwork and a valid WP you can get a 12 month b-visa, end of story.

There is way too much stupidity being wantonly flung about here. Don't ad to it!

Kasi is about right - except you can't spell. it's KHASI.

Last november my lawyer (as in the company lawyer) told me that Penang was OK for a 12 month visa. I went there and they don't repeat DO NOT NOW issue 12 month visas. Get it? - they do not issue them. Period.

And if not Penang - then who does? A previous reply from SUNBELT stated "KL blows hot and cold on this." And if the people who are issuing the actual visas - the "flunkies" are saying "no" over the phone, then what do you expect me to believe?

I don't want another wasted trip. Nothing here is "rumours" as it is all true. And if you care to phone any of these embassies, feel free to report back what they say.

So, Mr. Toilet, before you jump in here waving your big mouth about like you own the place and everyone in it, pause to consider the REASON I began this thread. Fortunately i have received some useful advice here, absolutely no thanks at all to you.

Rob

Hello again Sunbelt.

I began my work permit in March 2005. I have paid full tax as an employee and have the tax documents from the govt for last year, plus also 3 months PND#1 - as well as all the required company documents from my employer. The company is capitalised at 8 million baht and I have a UK passport.

So - what's the chance of KL coming up with 12 months? (Happy grin ...)

Rob

If you are born in the Uk, the odds are high you will get a non immigrant "B" visa then as you have been working since March. Take with you 6 months of the PND #1.

Sorry to say but most all Embassies or Consulates in Asia are no longer giving one year multi entry "B" visas even with a wp.

KL is only doing it in a case by case situation but you need to be American, Aussie or European .

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com