Plug in earth leakage breaker

JAS21

Anyone know where I can buy a plug in 'earth leakage breaker' ... to use in Resorts and Hotels when we go away. I know that I could buy an extension lead with a built in breaker but I would prefer a smaller device ... I think 30mA/35mSec is the sort of rating I would need ....................thanks 

I am sure homepro or even Big c etc would have them. But they will only work if the power outlet and appliance has an earth pin, and the earth is even connected.

What earthed appliance are you going to plug in ? You would need one for each appliance in the hotel room, one for the microwave, one for the refrigerator etc.

It wont automatically protect you from a faulty appliance in the room unless all appliances are plugged into the ELB

Edited by Peterw42

29 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

But they will only work if the power outlet and appliance has an earth pin, and the earth is even connected.

Incorrect!!!! An RCD does not need a functional earth to operate correctly.

Safe-T-Cut do a plug-in unit but It has a Shuko type plug (how useful is that). Check out the Safe-T-Cut stands in the major malls (sometimes in Tesco too).

I too am interested what Class-1 appliances our OP intends using.

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Incorrect!!!! An RCD does not need a functional earth to operate correctly.

Safe-T-Cut do a plug-in unit but It has a Shuko type plug (how useful is that). Check out the Safe-T-Cut stands in the major malls (sometimes in Tesco too).

I too am interested what Class-1 appliances our OP intends using.

Yes thats right for an RCD, its just the op specifically asked about an ELB.

I am more concerned that the OP thinks its a magic box that will protect from faulty appliance on other outlets.

The only use I can see would be if you get to a room and the toaster/jug looks a bit suspect, plug it into RCD etc. But that wont help when you turn around to get a beer from the faulty fridge. 

In theory an ELB on an outlet will trip with a fault on all other outlets off the same switchboard cct breaker, but an RCD is strictly a downstream device measuring current leaving and current returning to the one outlet.

Just now, Peterw42 said:

Yes thats right for an RCD, its just the op specifically asked about an ELB.

Indeed @JAS21 ought to know better.

Anyway, when was the last time you saw an "ELB" (or VOELCB as it's more correctly known)? I don't think I've ever seen one as a plug-in device.

I think we can safely say that, in the company we keep here, reference to any form of earth leakage device will be an RCD or RCBO.

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Indeed @JAS21 ought to know better.

Anyway, when was the last time you saw an "ELB" (or VOELCB as it's more correctly known)? I don't think I've ever seen one as a plug-in device.

I think we can safely say that, in the company we keep here, reference to any form of earth leakage device will be an RCD or RCBO.

Yes ... woops ...actually I want one that I can use with a short extension lead ... yes I know extension leads are 'kin dangerous ...going to see what HomePro have...

19 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

If you check the Lazada site you will see this item ships from most likely China and will take a few weeks to arrive.