Recommendation for hotel with early check-in (8 AM)

lkn

The SPG hotels (Sheraton/Westin/Aloft/W) do early check-in by availability, the Sheraton by the Chaopraya and Aloft seem to almost always have early availability, Westin, W and the Sukhumvit Sheraton are less likely.

Good advice. Sounds a better plan (IMO) than arriving in a new country at six in the morning and then having to make AT LEAST 6 or 7 phone calls from the airport before being able to tell the taxi driver which hotel to take you. That is providing of course you’re successful in one of the 6 or 7 giving you an early check-in. If not successful, you’re left to roam the streets for half a day....AFTER AN ALL-NIGHT FLIGHT. No thanks :))

I usually just go straight to the Sofitel on Sukhumvit and check inn ....  I don't stress or waist time calling hotels, not knowing their location, the receptionist cannot speak English at 6.00am in the morning so she has to find someone who can ....

no thanks ....

5 hours ago, Gregster said:

Good advice. Sounds a better plan (IMO) than arriving in a new country at six in the morning and then having to make AT LEAST 6 or 7 phone calls from the airport before being able to tell the taxi driver which hotel to take you. That is providing of course you’re successful in one of the 6 or 7 giving you an early check-in. If not successful, you’re left to roam the streets for half a day....AFTER AN ALL-NIGHT FLIGHT. No thanks :))

It hardly means that.  At any point in the process of making those 6-7 phone calls, the guy might call it quits and pay for an extra night if that is what the hotel staff demand on the phone there and then.  If you are staying at an expensive hotel, up to 6,000 as the op indicated, spending a few minutes on the phone for a fairly good chance to save up to 6,000 would be worth it for many.

So worst case scenario is that the op ends up doing what seems to be your fairly worthless suggestion to this thread: pay for an extra night. Best case: saves the price of  the extra night.

And that is by the way, at least one phone call, not at least 6-7 phone calls.  Obviously the guy  can get lucky on the first call.

You have to decide what is more important to you - convenience and comfort vs money.

It seems you are fairly price-insensitive given your room budget is 3k - 6k / night.

If that is the case, then what is the issue in booking an extra night for the added convenience of checking in early?

Either change your travel plans to coincide with check-in times at hotels (fairly standardized across most hotels)

OR cough up the extra dough to pay for the extra night (early check-in) OR choose a less expensive room to accommodate for the added cost of checking in early. 

It really is that simple.

And that is by the way, at least one phone call, not at least 6-7 phone calls.  Obviously the guy  can get lucky on the first call.

Read post #25...the poster suggests to make “5 or 6 calls AT LEAST” (at 6am...after being in the air all night!!)

I did never have the thought that a hotel would not let me check in in the morning before i read this thread.

If you book on a website like Agoda it's clearly stated that check in is after 2pm, and i'm aware that some hotels are strict about the time because when you book on Agoda they get less money.

But when i just show up at a hotel and pay the normal rate and the room is free, there are really hotels that don't let you checkin in the morning? I've never had this happen to me, i could always just check in even if i showed up at 7am. But i never tried it at hotels for several thousand bath a night.

Edited by jackdd

In the end I booked with Conrad (from their website) and just showed up early (actually at 7.30 a.m.) and despite their previous email response, where they had told me I would need to book an extra night, if I wanted to check in before 3 p.m., the clerk just said that the room was available, so I could get it right away.

1 minute ago, lkn said:

In the end I booked with Conrad (from their website) and just showed up early (actually at 7.30 a.m.) and despite their previous email response, where they had told me I would need to book an extra night, if I wanted to check in before 3 p.m., the clerk just said that the room was available, so I could get it right away.

Thanks for the follow up - good to see it worked out okay.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

On 20/10/2017 at 11:56 AM, jackdd said:

I did never have the thought that a hotel would not let me check in in the morning before i read this thread.

If you book on a website like Agoda it's clearly stated that check in is after 2pm, and i'm aware that some hotels are strict about the time because when you book on Agoda they get less money.

But when i just show up at a hotel and pay the normal rate and the room is free, there are really hotels that don't let you checkin in the morning? I've never had this happen to me, i could always just check in even if i showed up at 7am. But i never tried it at hotels for several thousand bath a night.

Basically they need to have enough free rooms available. Hotels aim for 100% occupancy and often premium members request early checkin so if there empty rooms they often reserve those for them. If there's any left after that you can usually get them but there's no guarantees unless you pay for the previous night.

Chatrium used to offer 8am check in, but now I see they only have option for late checkout (6pm).

I am hilton diamond and I know from experience that if they don't have a room available they will at least let me use the lounge.

I am confident (but can not guarantee) that if you don't have a status but book a room with any  big chain hotel that comes with lounge it's most likely you can park yourself there until check in.

5 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I am confident (but can not guarantee) that if you don't have a status but book a room with any  big chain hotel that comes with lounge it's most likely you can park yourself there until check in.

that goes without saying.

9 hours ago, wprime said:

Basically they need to have enough free rooms available. Hotels aim for 100% occupancy […]

100% occupancy would only be possible (for all hotels in a certain region) if the number of visitors was constant year round, and there was zero cancellations. Both probably unlikely.

It would also mean zero flexibility for the hotel, for example if someone got the wrong type of room, like smoking, twin beds, wants to do an early check in, wasn’t aware the room wouldn’t fit two adults and two kids, so need an extra room, etc.

Offering the flexibility is what brings repeat customers and builds the reputation which allow them to charge more per room, and that is what they want to maximize: A 70% occupancy rate with an average room rate of 5,000 baht/night is better than 100% occupancy and an average room rate of only 2,500 baht/night.