New British passport, frequent visitor with multiple-entry visa but not resident, is embassy letter required?

I just want to confirm this to be sure please and apologies if this subject has been covered.  I renewed my British passport and will soon be returning for a stay in Thailand.  I have a multiple-entry visa in my old cancelled British passport that is still in its validity period.

I understand from other threads on the forum that the old cancelled passport can be presented on arrival to show my visa, along with my new passport that doesn't contain a visa.  I just want to confirm that the immigration official will not insist on an "embassy letter" (for want of a better description) to permit me entry into Thailand.  I would be unable to obtain one anyway, as I'm not in Thailand.  Thanks.

Edited by sicky

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The embassy letter is only relevant where stamps are being transferred to a new passport for those on an extension of stay.

And even then is not always needed. I certainly didnt have one when my original visa and subsequent extension were noted on my new passport at Jomtien. LIke most things, it probably depends on which immigration office you deal with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The embassy letter is only relevant where stamps are being transferred to a new passport for those on an extension of stay.

Thanks very much, appreciate your reply.  I feel a bit dumb about Thais visas and immigration, as there are clearly a lot of you on this forum who have a tremendous amount of knowledge, but the subject seems so complicated.

Sorry to ask further though, but the term "stamps" is mentioned a lot - is this the entry/exit stamps, or extension of stay stamps.  I only have entry/exit stamps, as I never stay beyond a few weeks at a time.

8 minutes ago, sicky said:

Thanks very much, appreciate your reply.  I feel a bit dumb about Thais visas and immigration, as there are clearly a lot of you on this forum who have a tremendous amount of knowledge, but the subject seems so complicated.

Sorry to ask further though, but the term "stamps" is mentioned a lot - is this the entry/exit stamps, or extension of stay stamps.  I only have entry/exit stamps, as I never stay beyond a few weeks at a time.

With your Non-Immigrant O visa the only stamps of relevance are the 90 day stamps that you get each time you enter the Kingdom.

Many long-stayers apply to extend their stay for 12 months (off their current Non-Imm O visa)  based on retirement or marriage. They will then have this extension stamped in their passport along with details of the underlying visa from which the extension is based.

You will see many comments about trying to use the correct terminology.... I.e. either a visa (invariably obtained outside Thailand) and an extension (obtained at a local immigration office).

The first is normally used to get the second.

• Like 1

Thanks, yes I get really confused, because sometimes people refer to "retirement visas" or "marriage visas" but in fact they are extensions based on those circumstances.  I think it's all made overly complicated by the immigration department and I just want to switch-off sometimes, especially given that members of this forum report that certain immigrations offices apply inconsistent standards.  I just want to leave Thailand, rather than going through that kind of thing!  We have enough uncertainty in our lives.  But anyway, I don't want to sound negative.  Thanks for the input on this!

In case this is not already clear, the issue of "transferring stamps" (and an embassy letter to request the transfer) only applies when (1) you are at the time you receive the new passport in Thailand; and (2) have an extension of permission to stay that needs to be transferred to the new passport that granted the extension.

As you have already gathered, the visa in the old passport cannot be transferred to the new passport, and there is no necessity for this to be done. It remains valid although in the old passport.

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

In case this is not already clear, the issue of "transferring stamps" (and an embassy letter to request the transfer) only applies when (1) you are at the time you receive the new passport in Thailand; and (2) have an extension of permission to stay that needs to be transferred to the new passport that granted the extension.

As you have already gathered, the visa in the old passport cannot be transferred to the new passport, and there is no necessity for this to be done. It remains valid although in the old passport.

I will be renewing my British passport soon in Trendy Tower. I was under the impression that when you picked the new passport up they provided a letter to enable you to get the relevant stamps transferred? 

10 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

I will be renewing my British passport soon in Trendy Tower. I was under the impression that when you picked the new passport up they provided a letter to enable you to get the relevant stamps transferred? 

See ...

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

...an embassy letter to request the transfer) only applies when (1) you are at the time you receive the new passport in Thailand; ...

So, yes, you should receive the letter.  Ask for it, if it is not provided (though it should be).