Interview - Deputy Mayor Patong About New One Way Traffic System & Map

NBT TV Phuket

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=201839

ThaisNews

Interview is with Chairat Suk-kaban, Deputy Mayor of Patong Municipality about the new One way traffic system in Patong due to start on Monday 15 January at 6am, in a clockwise direction, north on Beach Road and south on Rat-U-Thit Road. We discussed the routes, problems and solutions with a map, and first asked the main reason for the new system:

………………

Mob. 081 8916256 [email protected]

Interview for Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am & later on Phuket Cable channel 1, Wednesday 10 January 2007 & www.ThaisNews.com { Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied , but please give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket}

post-9325-1168423376_thumb.jpg

Any parking/driving regulations for tuk-tuks?

were there ever?

standard rules for tuk-tuk drivers:

hang a U-turn whenever you like. preferably only when traffic is heavy.

drive as slow as you can after said U-turn beeping as often as you like.

spot family of 7 tourists and stop in the middle of the road whilst the father negotiates a fare down from 400thb to 100thb.

hang another U-turn as the family needs to go in opposite direction.

repeat the above as often as you ###### well please.

park as close to the corner as you can so that cars coming out of side street cannot see past your silly little tonka truck.

always carry weapon of choice beside on the right hand side of the drivers seat.

always have the 'handbag' sitting beside you in the front of vehicle (this is nothing to be proud of idiot. this is to show her distrust of you and to stop you from sneaking off to your mia nois house - unless it is, of course the mia noi).

Patong to set new parking zones, one-way traffic from January 15, 2006

PATONG: -- New parking zones will go into effect in Patong on January 15, when a one-way traffic system will begin operating along three major roads in the central tourist district.

Starting at 6 am on January 15, all southbound traffic will be routed along Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Rd, which will become one-way. Northbound traffic will be routed along the beach road.

All connecting roads will be two way, with two exceptions: Chalermprakiat Rd, which runs next to Phuket Graceland Resort, will be one-way heading toward the beach; as will Prachanukhro Rd at the town’s southern end.

Traffic heading toward the beach along Sainamyen Rd, Soi Saensabai and Soi Namsia will be required to turn left at Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Rd.

Soi Bangla will also be one-way in the daytime, but will close to all traffic nightly at 6 pm.

The new system will run for three months, after which its effectiveness will be reviewed.

Parking will be permitted along selected roads, as follows:

• Thaweewong Rd, beach side, from Sea Pearl Hotel to Soi Bangla;

• Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Rd, one side of its entire length, the side alternating daily;

• Prachanukhro Rd, Ruamjai Rd, Sawasdirak Rd and Haad Patong Rd: all north side;

• Chalermprakiat Rd, south side, but parking permitted only opposite the Swiss Palm Beach Resort.

The new parking zones were announced yesterday at a press conference at Patong City Hall to remind the public about the change, which is intended to bring some measure of order and safety to Patong's notoriously chaotic roads.

Attending were Patong Mayor Pian Keesin, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pol Maj Gen Decha Budnampetch, and Kathu Police Superintendent Pol Col Teerapol Thipjaroen.

In a related development, Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukkaban told the Gazette that the municipality had now acquired all the land needed to complete Phang Muang Rd, the new road being built between Nanai Rd and Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Rd, work on which will be funded under the 2008 budget.

--Phuket Gazette 2007-01-10

driving on the beach road the other night trying to get home. no vehicles behind me at all. maybe a motorbike or two.

tonka truckie just has to do a U turn in front of me. cannot wait for me to pass.

continues up the road at a snails pace beeping every tourist in sight. so i sit behind him beeping every time he does. he waves his fist at me in the rear window. i beep him back. he finally stops to pick up a poor unsuspecting family and blocks the traffic even more!

so, i beep him. again.

tonka truckie not very happy.

has the nerve to flip me the bird when i go past him.

i beep him and drive on laughing.

this is not the first occasion something like this has happened. im over them. if he had just waited 3 more seconds he could driven at his snails pace and not disturbed the 'flow' of traffic.

idiots.

I just watched tuktuk drivers bullying legit tourists from parking in bike allocated beach parking.. Then 20m further on there were a group of them literally using black paint to paint out yellow public parking space lines, while a policeman was about 10m away.

They are right now painting big one way arrows on the roads..

Just introduce baht buses and ban tuktuks except for a few in very small defined spots and all would be well with the towns system.

Something I didnt get from the above map and am absolutely gobsmacked to see..

They are now changing all the sois connecting the 2 one way systems to driving on the opposite side of the road.. Reversing normal traffic flows, RHD vehicles being wrong layout.. What a joke !!

Only in Thailand..

post-9246-1168824307_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I watched a tuk tuk guy bullying a tourist from parking in the bike allocated parking areas, 5 meters from this spot another 3 tuk tuk drivers were literally using black paint to paint out parking lines.. All of this was within sight of a policeman about 10m away just watching it all.

And in case we think its only farangs who have problems.. I was out getting duck rice in a pavement restaurant.. Theres an old fella in there I see sometimes who seems a bit mad, kinda very friendly talks to everyone and himself but no harm in him. While I am eating hes talking to some japper girls and this back and forth starts up with the old guy and this nasty looking piece of work by the cart. The level of conversation quickly raises and the guy at the cart starts quickly getting a lot louder, almost shouting back at the old fella and I start to listen and pick up hes talking about 'tessabaan and police and road' realize its the one way thing and asked spinner (who was in true thai style ignoring the whole thing and happily grazing) to listen and suggested the guy at cart was a tuktuk..

Over the next 30 secs or so the tuk tuk guy started getting really loud, waving his arms, even marched over to the old guys table and leaned right over him like he was gonna do something, japper girls freaked, it was a full on scene.

Fair play to the old boy, he didnt raise his voice to shout back, he kept a smile on his face and he didnt back down, argued the hel_l out of the other fella, and there was something about both his smile and his tone of voice that you could really tell was being very dismissive and mocking of the tuktuk fella. he couldnt have handled the guy any better.. The tuktuk guy stomped off angrily arm waving and shouting and the old guy even managed a couple of parting digs.

Once the driver guy had gone spinner said that the old boy had been in favour of the road change (not sure I am) as he had said that it would mean tuktuks wouldnt be able to keep ripping off the tourists and would need to have more fixed prices for the circuit and they should get rid of the lot..

I was really impressed with the old fella, calm under fire, even with an aggressive guy being physically threatening, but totally cool enough to be mocking and dismissive of the other guy all while smiling / learing at him, up till then I always thought he was mai tem baht..

So its not only us that have had it with them.. They will dig thier own grave eventually.

coming in to work this morning down rathuthit road:

1 drunk lady boy

2 many witches hats

3 motorbikes going the wrong way (they DID have helmets on though)

4 traffic cops standing shaking their heads

and a partridge in a pear tree.

the whole thing has been highly publicised, in english and in thai. why oh why cant people just follow the rules? its not that ###### hard you know.

on a positive note, and there are, the traffic DID move a lot faster. but i came in at 7.30am so maybe by now it will have change immensely.

the whole thing has been highly publicised, in english and in thai. why oh why cant people just follow the rules? its not that ###### hard you know.

Its been publicised but look at the quality of information..

The Phuket gazette is hosting a map showing the wrong traffic flow on every road that carries 2 way traffic between Beach Rd and Rat U Thit except Pra Barami.

I think it went relatively well for most of the day and I kept hearing positive reviews from folks but I kept saying, yeah wait until this evening. I live in Kamala. So after work I thought I'd maybe go to the beach and the gym in Patong....

I spent 5:15 - 6:00 pm crawling south down the road between from the north end of Kalim Beach to the intersection of Prabaramee and Patong Beach road. 45 minutes for a trip that normally takes about 3 minutes.

So yeah, whatever that says about the new system, there you go.

I guess before it was almost as bad going north on Rat-U-Thit at that time, so perhaps they have simply shifted the pain.

I came through tonight heading North and things were about the same as normal for a wet Monday evening. More MiB on duty than usual so perhaps that is helping.

I spoke to our hotel drivers today and they were of the opinion that it is a good thing to implement the new system. Tomorrow will be the test when the Star cruises boat is in imho.

It was pretty nice this morning heading south and driving on the wrong side of the road though :o

To me its like deathrace 2000...

The speed vehicles now fly around Rat U Thit.. 3 or 4 abreast with bikes in the middle.. around Christins all trying to race in front..

They definately need to add some crossing systems that drivers stick to, or there will be some additional padestrian deaths..

Let's see, where to start...

First of all, I was almost run off the beach road yesterday by two cops on a bike. They came within inches of hitting my motorbike.

Second, a samlaw changed lanes and almost ran me off the road... just seconds after the cop incident.

I witnessed countless motorbikes, tuk tuk and other vehicles completely ignoring the new one way system. just like any other law here, if there is no enforcement, it's not really a law.

I'm waiting for the tuk tuk mafia to stage some sort of a protest like they did the last time this one way system was proposed.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=202624

The first day of the new one way road system in Patong, to help solve the traffic jam problem, was most evident going north only on Thaveewong road, and going south only on Ratuthit 200 years road where the traffic police officers were present to help facilitate the traffic flow as some motorists were confused especially turning into the middle four sois where they must drive on the right hand side only. Fortunately the system went fine with the information given but some were still confused by the new signs to the beaches such as Kata beach, Karon beach, Tritrang beach, and Kalim beach. The police have put cones or bollards on the road to help drivers keep to the right lanes. Some drivers seemed satisfied with the new system but were still not familiar with the directions and a bit confused. The traffic seemed to be a bit stuck and still needed help from the police at the Kalim intersection to Kamala beach and inbound to Phuket town.

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am & later on Phuket Cable TV channel 1, Tuesday 16 January 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com { Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied , but please give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket}

Once the driver guy had gone spinner said that the old boy had been in favour of the road change (not sure I am) as he had said that it would mean tuktuks wouldnt be able to keep ripping off the tourists and would need to have more fixed prices for the circuit and they should get rid of the lot..

Cannot see why this will improve the price situation !

And why are vehicles being directed to drive on the wrong side of the two way roads ? :o

If they had simply reversed the direction of the two main roads everthing would have been as normal.

Expect to see some snide reports in the overseas press.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Let's see, where to start...

First of all, I was almost run off the beach road yesterday by two cops on a bike. They came within inches of hitting my motorbike.

Second, a samlaw changed lanes and almost ran me off the road... just seconds after the cop incident.

I witnessed countless motorbikes, tuk tuk and other vehicles completely ignoring the new one way system. just like any other law here, if there is no enforcement, it's not really a law.

I'm waiting for the tuk tuk mafia to stage some sort of a protest like they did the last time this one way system was proposed.

The tuk tuks will not protest, only people with limited power protest. Why would they complain about making more money ? Tuk-tuks are already starting to charge 150 baht now to go a few more yards, although they will get there much quicker this is of no relevance.

The most concerning thing is that the tuk-tuks now have 2 sides of the road to pull over instead of only one. This in itself is actually worse than the old style u-turns. Tuk-tuks now use the invisible middle lane created by themselves as a replacement for infamous u-turn.

Simple rule for all, never overtake an empty tuk-tuk on any of the one way roads. I have witnessed probably 2 or 3 occasions where this has almost turned into a serious accident. One motorbike I seen being literally crushed between the tuk-tuk and the curb. As the tuk can no longer do a 180 degree spin in the road to catch up with the unsuspecting tourist, there only option is to quickly swerve to the curb while slamming on the breaks.

One thing which baffles me is the yellow line in the middle which is meant to separate the 2 lanes. What I would like to ask you tourists is this, would you stand in the middle of a 2 lane one way road back home ? No, so why do it here ??

Personally I think the authorities should take down the yellow line in the middle, before someone gets run over !! :o

Every day I use it I dislike it more.. To get from Sansabai to Valhalla now takes a full circuit (if a cops watching) and of course where does the road linking banzaan and nanai now come through ?? Sansabai !!!

Yes traffic flows faster, but it also flows on average much father as you cant take the direct route.

well LivinLos, I do have to agree with you mate. It is a pain in the ass! The one way traffic goes the wrong way, as when you turn into a soi, it is back the front. Chairat comes back today, so I will let him know.

the tuk tuk drivers are staging a protest on the beach road at this moment, blocking traffic and flexing their mafia muscle.

It would be a great time to do a drive by and take them all out. :o

Last night I was out.. I drove past 15 tuktuks in an unbroken row crawling along and blocking everything without one customer in them.

Why has patong got a traffic problem ?? Tuk Tuks.. Pure and simple.

The one way system blocks right up on the road between OTOP and beach Rd.. So instead of waiting in the line the tuktuks pull out and play chicken on the wrong side of the road with the oncoming traffic..

Last night I was out.. I drove past 15 tuktuks in an unbroken row crawling along and blocking everything without one customer in them.

Why has patong got a traffic problem ?? Tuk Tuks.. Pure and simple.

The one way system blocks right up on the road between OTOP and beach Rd.. So instead of waiting in the line the tuktuks pull out and play chicken on the wrong side of the road with the oncoming traffic..

With the army in charge, they should get down there, throw the scabby drunken thieving lot of in prison and take all the tuk tuks out and sink them in that underwater diving adventure park. The pollution and environmental damage would be better than having this shiftless scum blocking the beach road all year round.

The one way system is running smoothly along Rat-U-thid and its mainly the tuk tuks parking and driving along beach road at 5km honking their horns that is letting the side down. The few higher end tourist at this part of Patong, have to sit and eat on the beach front as this noise of honking horns and idiots shouting Tuk Tuk every 15 seconds is allowed to continue. Welcome to Thailand.

Come on Mayor, show some balls!

Government will give into em thats for sure.

Edited by Dupont

well LivinLos, I do have to agree with you mate. It is a pain in the ass! The one way traffic goes the wrong way, as when you turn into a soi, it is back the front. Chairat comes back today, so I will let him know.

the tuk tuk drivers are staging a protest on the beach road at this moment, blocking traffic and flexing their mafia muscle.

It would be a great time to do a drive by and take them all out. :o

So, they are starting to protest now, I was waiting for it...............

What means these new traffic rules will not "survive" the testing period followed by some lame excuses from the "officials".

Gerd

i agree with Duponts suggestion of dumping the lot off shore (along with their drivers in some cases).

THEY are the source of the traffic jams in patong, not anything else. Maybe we can get Chuwit on our side - at least the protest would be colourful!

i agree with Duponts suggestion of dumping the lot off shore (along with their drivers in some cases).

THEY are the source of the traffic jams in patong, not anything else. Maybe we can get Chuwit on our side - at least the protest would be colourful!

I was coming through beach road the other night and the TUK TUKs were having a meeting on the football/sports field. I pulled over for a listen and surprise surprise they're all moaning and bitching about the new system already.

Main gripe was that they can't turn around if they have missed a hailing tourist and so have to do a lap of the whole circuit!

I bet it'll be less than a month and the whole thing will be scrapped. With the amount of police captains and the like who own them a few muscles will be flexed and that will be that.

Did anyone really expect anymore? :o