Iran was behind cyber attack on British lawmakers in June - The Times

rooster59

Iran was behind cyber attack on British lawmakers in June - The Times

640x640 (11).jpg

Cables and computers are seen inside a data centre at an office in the heart of the financial district in London, Britain May 15, 2017. REUTERS/Dylan Martinez

LONDON (Reuters) - Iran carried out a cyber attack on British lawmakers earlier this year, The Times newspaper reported on Saturday, citing an intelligence assessment of the incident.

The report came the day after Britain joined other European countries in warning the United States against harming a nuclear deal with Iran.

Britain's parliament was hit by a "sustained and determined" cyber attack in June, designed to identify weak email passwords, just over a month after a ransomware worm crippled parts of the country's health service.

The Times said that the attack was Iran's first significant cyber attack on a British target after the hack was initially blamed on Russia.

Britain's National Cyber Security Centre was not immediately available for comment.

The Iranian government had no immediate comment.

While the motive for the attack has not yet been established, the hackers were not seeking simple financial profit, The Times said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-15

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Iran carried out a cyber attack on British lawmakers earlier this year, The Times newspaper reported on Saturday, citing an intelligence assessment of the incident.  The hack was initially blamed on Russia.

I'm sure the initial blaming of Russia was also intelligently assessed.

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Based on the cooperation between Russia and Iran, it matters little whether Russia or Iran are blamed. They both have the same foreign policy agenda in the Middle East.

5 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Yes that would have been when Russia was the finger-pointing target.

I'm surprised that N Korea didn't get the 'intelligence' blame but that would have been last month's 'news' so it has to be Iran. So predictable from the Murdoch gang.

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:
8 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Based on the cooperation between Russia and Iran, it matters little whether Russia or Iran are blamed. They both have the same foreign policy agenda in the Middle East.

read and weep :sleep:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/02/massive-us-planned-cyberattack-against-iran-went-well-beyond-stuxnet/

6 hours ago, Srikcir said:

I don't know that Russia and Iran have a very tight intelligence cooperation. As to their foreign policy agenda in the ME being "the same" - that's a laugh. There are several issues where interests coincide, and quite a few where they do not.

11 minutes ago, Morch said:

I don't know that Russia and Iran have a very tight intelligence cooperation. As to their foreign policy agenda in the ME being "the same" - that's a laugh. There are several issues where interests coincide, and quite a few where they do not.

I don't know really where their interests don't coincide. Maybe on some minor issues but...

"Since the fall of the Soviet Union, the two neighboring nations have generally enjoyed very close cordial relations. Iran and Russia are strategic allies[3][4][5] and form an axis in the Caucasusalongside Armenia...Militarily, Iran is the only country in Western Asia that has been invited to join the Collective Security Treaty Organization, Russia's own international treaty organization in response to NATO, while much of the Iranian military consists of Russian weaponry."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Russia_relations

6 minutes ago, mrfaroukh said:

Nice to know a third world country can actually hack into developed country computer system.

Iran is definitely not a third world country.  North Korea would better qualify for that somewhat antiquated term and it has proven itself to be quite formidable in that regard. Hacking might require lots of knowledge but not so much in the way of infrastructure.

11 hours ago, baboon said:

What extraordinarily convenient timing...

Ah, Murdoch, renowned investigative genius has found the truth. True the Iranians have the ability - they destroyed the admin section of Saudi Aramco & a nasty bank in the US - in retaliation for Stuxnet. But they'd hardly bother with the Brits at this time.

How the Times has fallen, just another Murdoch arse wipe. 

25 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I don't know really where their interests don't coincide. Maybe on some minor issues but...

"Since the fall of the Soviet Union, the two neighboring nations have generally enjoyed very close cordial relations. Iran and Russia are strategic allies[3][4][5] and form an axis in the Caucasusalongside Armenia...Militarily, Iran is the only country in Western Asia that has been invited to join the Collective Security Treaty Organization, Russia's own international treaty organization in response to NATO, while much of the Iranian military consists of Russian weaponry."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Russia_relations

An contemporary starting point would be Syria - where while both support Assad's survival, Russia got no interest in seeing Iran's influence unchecked. And other than being a thorn in the USA's side - Russia is not interested in a military nuclear capable Iran. With all due respect to CSTO...no, scrap that. It's mostly irreverent other than as a title (and as far as I recall, Iran never joined).

11 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Who would have guessed Iran would do such a thing? :giggle:

Wake up, children. Everyone is attacking everyone all the time. The stupid Americans make it too easy with Windows, the moron's internet toy. The Iranians got sloppy and revealed the Siemens apps that ran their centrifuges, hence Stuxnet. The Russians run their own systems. Lots of attacks but no intrusions. The Chinese are running Linux, as all intelligent people should, so no break-ins.  

1 minute ago, Morch said:

An contemporary starting point would be Syria - where while both support Assad's survival, Russia got no interest in seeing Iran's influence unchecked. And other than being a thorn in the USA's side - Russia is not interested in a military nuclear capable Iran. With all due respect to CSTO...no, scrap that. It's mostly irreverent other than as a title (and as far as I recall, Iran never joined).

Well, in the case of Syria, I think it's very much in the interests of Russia to have Iran heavily involved. Without Hezbollah and Iran's own interventions, the burden of defending Assad would fall on Russia. That would make it a very expensive venture.  I don't see much reason for conflict between them there. Why would Iran want to boot Russia out of Syria? It seems like a mutually beneficial relationship. 

16 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Well, in the case of Syria, I think it's very much in the interests of Russia to have Iran heavily involved. Without Hezbollah and Iran's own interventions, the burden of defending Assad would fall on Russia. That would make it a very expensive venture.  I don't see much reason for conflict between them there. Why would Iran want to boot Russia out of Syria? It seems like a mutually beneficial relationship. 

Again, it's a matter of degree. Up to a point, and under control, Iranian involvement and presence fits with Russia's interests. There was nothing said about booting. Back to the comment that originated this off topic exchange, there is nothing indicating intelligence ties, and information sharing level between the two countries are as close as suggested.

38 minutes ago, Morch said:

there is nothing indicating intelligence ties, and information sharing level between the two countries are as close as suggested.

Iran and Russia Team up with Taliban to undermine US-led mission in Afghanistan

http://www.mei.edu/content/io/iran-and-russia-team-taliban-undermine-us-led-mission-afghanistan

Iraq to Share ISIS Intelligence With Russia, Iran and Syria

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-terror/iraq-share-isis-intelligence-russia-iran-syria-n434476

The Russia–Syria–Iran–Iraq coalition is a joint intelligence-sharing cooperation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia–Syria–Iran–Iraq_coalition

3 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Iran and Russia Team up with Taliban to undermine US-led mission in Afghanistan

http://www.mei.edu/content/io/iran-and-russia-team-taliban-undermine-us-led-mission-afghanistan

Iraq to Share ISIS Intelligence With Russia, Iran and Syria

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-terror/iraq-share-isis-intelligence-russia-iran-syria-n434476

The Russia–Syria–Iran–Iraq coalition is a joint intelligence-sharing cooperation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia–Syria–Iran–Iraq_coalition

Other than headlines, there's little in these links which suggests close intelligence ties. Cooperation on localized areas of mutual interests notwithstanding. That it would cover cooperation of information sharing with regard to something as described in the OP is not supported in any way.