Home Automation

narkeddiver

I’ve been dabbling with this a little bit and I thought I’d do a post in case anyone else is looking to do this or wants to share their own set-up (apologies in advance if you find this wall of text boring ;))

I’m currently using Apple HomeKit and Siri but this set up is also achievable with Android and Alexa.

When it comes to technology I always believe you should use what you’re most comfortable with and let others use what is best for them, for me it’s Apple, if it’s Android for you then great :)

Hardware

Philips Hue Hub

Philips Hue Bulbs

Apple TV 4

Raspberry Pi 3

Broadlink RM Mini 3

Software

Node.js

Homebridge

Automations

First person arrives home: hallway lights turn on

Last person leaves home: all interior lights tuned off, AC turned off, TV turned off

Sunset: Porch light turns on

Sunrise: Porch light turns off, AC turns off

I also have one command for nighttime that turns all the interior lights, the AC and the TV off

Set-up

My set up is pretty basic at the moment. The Hue Hub is connected via Ethernet to my router and the Hue bulbs are paired with the Hue Hub. The Hue Hub has a code that allows it to be registered with Apple HomeKit so that the bulbs can be controlled by Siri and the Apple Home app

The Broadlink RM Mini 3 is a programmable, infrared transmitter that connects to to your WiFi network an I use it to control the TV and the AC. Unfortunately it is not compatible with Apple HomeKit but this is where the Homebridge software comes in

Homebridge is a piece of open source software that acts as an interface between non HomeKit compliant devices and HomeKit and it can also perform the same role for Samsung SmartThings and Alexa I believe

People have written loads of plug-ins for all sorts of devices so I just installed the Broadlink RM plug-in

I've installed Homebridge on my Raspberry Pi 3 but as well as Linux there are Mac OS and Windows versions available as well

The devices you want to control are added to a JSON configuration file (it’s pretty easy to do and each plug-in comes with a sample configuration file to point you in the right direction)

In my case the devices I added were 2 on / off switches, one for the TV and one for the AC and then it was just a case of putting the Broadlink in learning mode, pointing the required remote controls at it, pressing the relevant buttons and the copying the resulting command string into the configuration file - took me about 5 minutes to set it up

Future Projects

I’d like to add Hue bulbs and a motion sensor or the bathroom so if any gets up to go during the night the lights will automatically came on in a dimmed mode so the light isn’t so much of a shock. I’d also like to add a temperature sensor so if someone is at home and the room temperature goes above a certain level the AC will automatically turn on and likewise will automatically turn off if the room goes below a certain temperature 

Final Thoughts

The good thing about this technology is that there are many different devices, software and apps that will allow to achieve the same result, you’re not tied into a particular provider. Indeed one guy I’m watching on YouTube is a wizard with a soldering iron and he is building his own devices using Arduino boards

I’m not by any means an expert in this but I’m happy to try and answer any questions

Archived