Aussie guy / Thai girl divorce who is owed a considerable amount of money.

Artisi

A friend,  Thai female married in Thailand to an Aussie guy: He has run her into an impossible debt (hospital bills) which she in good faith signed for to get him out of hospital  - he immediately left for Aust. without any intention of returning and is now asking for a divorce and refusing to assist with the debt. 

Any suggestions as to how best she should approach this problem.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speak to a solicitor in oz. If the marriage is registered in thailand then maybe she has a case to persue the divorce according the the family law act. 

Or approach a television station (A current affair) in the state that he comes from. Tell them what happened and provide the evidence from the hospital. Name and shame him. The tabloid tv stations love this sort of story. This is the ultimate solution to the problem...

this con works both ways (99% thai against westerners) by greedy selfish careless individuals who have in a premeditated way chosen their victim for “hit n run” with total disregard to the emotional wreck they leave behind... what makes this different is the fact this lady obviously loved this guy enough to actually care about his well-being and thus pay for his Hospital treatment.

There’s just something not right about that at all!

How much was the Hospital bill that was worth running away from??

Advise To the Thai Girl who paid....
Sell him a divorce for x2 of Hospital bill lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What assets are available in Thailand? Particularly land assets. Were the debts secured against any assets? Any cash in the bank?

What income does the Thai female have? Is she in regular employment paying income tax with payslips/documentation etc.?

What assets does the Australian male have in Australia? Particularly land assets to sequester. Any Australian income/earnings to attach?

Debt collectors will work down the list.

Edited by Briggsy

Man, not a whole lot of empathy in the room... in fact, the air seems quite 'bitter'. Other women in LOS may be experts at this scam, but this person seems genuinely good hearted so I don't think we should delight in her problem. Just saying...  

35 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

this con works both ways (99% thai against westerners) by greedy selfish careless individuals who have in a premeditated way chosen their victim for “hit n run” with total disregard to the emotional wreck they leave behind... what makes this different is the fact this lady obviously loved this guy enough to actually care about his well-being and thus pay for his Hospital treatment.

There’s just something not right about that at all!

How much was the Hospital bill that was worth running away from??

Advise To the Thai Girl who paid....
Sell him a divorce for x2 of Hospital bill lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The outstanding amount she is stuck with is B100 000 plus - he did cough up with an initial payment but leaving her to sign-off for the outstanding balance. 

Have already advised her, he pays the balance plus some extra or no divorce or see her in court in Thailand. 

48 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

What assets are available in Thailand? Particularly land assets. Were the debts secured against any assets? Any cash in the bank?

What income does the Thai female have? Is she in regular employment paying income tax with payslips/documentation etc.?

What assets does the Australian male have in Australia? Particularly land assets to sequester. Any Australian income/earnings to attach?

Debt collectors will work down the list.

She has limited assets, 2 children from an earlier marriage and runs a small shop that barely supports her and the kids on a daily basis. She is unaware of what he has in Aust. it was never divulged (I would think purposely)  other than a pension. 

My suggestion  at this stage is to seek legal advice. 

1 hour ago, davidst01 said:

speak to a solicitor in oz. If the marriage is registered in thailand then maybe she has a case to persue the divorce according the the family law act. 

Or approach a television station (A current affair) in the state that he comes from. Tell them what happened and provide the evidence from the hospital. Name and shame him. The tabloid tv stations love this sort of story. This is the ultimate solution to the problem...

Great advice.  Get on the net and send pictures of the guy, address if known and anything you can think of to the  programing department. Pictures of the poor girl in tears. They really do love stories like this. If the money owed is serious enough, set up a go fund me. If the story gets on the box the go fund me could well be successful. Show no mercy!

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I feel sorry for your friend, she is only suffering what thousands of her countrywomen have done to thousands of western men, including myself.

I can't see any way out of her predicament other than bankruptcy, but she will be feeling just like I do now, I suppose.

Really? She deserves it because some woman took you, eh?  Most of the Western men taken by Thai women were in a buyer-supplier financial relationship with the women. Being taken financially in a financial relationship, should not be a great surprise. Similarly, if that man was being paid for his services by the woman, then there may be some credible argument to her paying for his hospitalization and him refusing to repay her.

If she is out of pocket by 4000AUD, then trying to engage a lawyer in Australia to recover this, would most likely be a case of throwing good money after bad ... beside which, you (artisi) have already said she is in an impossible debt situation.

if the guy is already on a means tested pension, I can’t see her having much luck. An Australian court, if it ever got that far, might find for her, but impose restitution at 25AUD a fortnight (or similar)

but then, if she paid willingly, he could argue that he didn’t know that this payment was anything other than a gift, or Good Samaritan donation, as he was unable to pay himself.

and as a pensioner, he may never wish to remarry, so the threat of not granting a divorce may not actually mean much, at days end... in need, he can just live in sin... and sin, after all, is a big attraction for a lot of folk coming to Thailand.

as is often advised on these pages, never accumulate more than you can carry outta here in haste... this guy seems to have followed that advise, when things went pear shaped for him.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I feel sorry for your friend, she is only suffering what thousands of her countrywomen have done to thousands of western men, including myself.

I can't see any way out of her predicament other than bankruptcy, but she will be feeling just like I do now, I suppose.

Couldn't have said it any better