Will Oz Govt know if I marry in Thailand?

14 hours ago, bheard said:

I'm sure you're correct about Centrelink finding out via the consulate, but to blame the nanny state is not correct. In this situation the nanny state you refer to is trying to be the exact opposite. It's wants to cut your benefits, which is not exactly being your nanny!
And they're right on the ball. 2 weeks after leaving the country my Centrelink app tells me I have a letter in it informing me that in 4 weeks time I will have my pension cut.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That could be because you haven't done your 2 years, or it could be for the supplement,  as I hear they cut off after 6 weeks, rightfully so in my opinion, but not the 2 year rule, that sucks !!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, bazza73 said:

This is a very grey area. Centrelink pays pensions on the basis of Common Law ( they call it defacto ) relationships in Australia.

However, if you are in a defacto relationship in Thailand, that is not recognized under Thai law.

AS far as I am concerned, I am living in Thailand under Thai law on a retirement visa. Australian laws apply to me when I am in Australia.End of story.

Good luck with that one 555

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The point l am trying to make is it's unfair if the Oz government think Thai wives make a good living well if they had brains they would be dangerous.

The onus would be on you to provide otherwise, i.e. ah Mr Centrelink, we live in a rural area which has 22 million Thai's it's called Isaan, and most people live off the land, here are 10,000 books, and links from the web that shows their living conditions and what their chances are of making more than $10 a day if they finished school and are young because they don;t have a Discrimination Act like in Australia whereby its illegal to advertise an age, etc, etc, etc, apart from that if your suggestion my village slut goes back to working in a bar at her age, I think we will go broke pretty quick.

So I would suggest you would some rights under an appeal, that and evidence of any health conditions. One rule can't be for all, keep looking for the loopholes 555

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Don't get trapped as many have and will with this.

If you reside outside of Australia for more than 183 days in a financial year and remain in one country for the duration of your stay, i.e. Thailand, they can and in most cases will look at you as a foreign resident, not to be confused with your Australian citizenship, the foreign resident rule is to screw you, meaning if you leave Australia for a better life, to escape high cost of living and the slave trade we created to keep you in, then we will punish you.

1) Medicare will cease after 5 years

2) You will no longer be able to vote

3) If you own a property and rent it out, we will charge you 1/3 tax on the rent you receive and will not allow you to have a threshold at all, currently no tax for Australian residents/tax payers up to $18,200 so you lose that and your property will be subject to capital gains tax as at the date you leave the country.

I could go on and on and on, but its a busy day for me today making tax free dollars on the stock market as she has been cracking the last 3-4 days so gotta make the most of it.

Suggest you start reading more or go to the Australian Taxation Offices website and check out foreign residence.

If you are living overseas for more then 183 days in a financial year, you can go back and apply for the old age pension OAP, and they will approve you, if they determine you are back for good, i.e. not just back for the 2 years and will start paying you, but if you leave in that two years period, they will stop it.

If you live in Australia 2 years prior, you can get it approved and take it with you, i.e. portable, suffice to say, again, they must be convinced you are not going to leave, but you have more chances staying back in Australia for 2 or more years, than just turning up and claiming it, because like I said, they will approve you, but you cannot take it with you, and if they feel you have just returned to get it and there is a possibility that you will leave after the 2 years, you will get burnt.

Start your research mate, too many Xpats have been burnt and most of us here have already done our research and put plans into place.

Good luck

Thanks.. I've been here 11 years.. have it sorted..

14 hours ago, Fatone said:

Thanks for all the info and opinions, The overall concensus appears to be that it would be stupid to register the marriage with Thai govt. Think I will just have a buddhist wedding and not tell.

Suggest to make it 100% full proof, you stay on the retirement extension of stay as opposed to going on to an extension of stay based on marriage.

If you take her back to Australia on a tourist visa every now and again, you should be ok, i.e. she is a good friend, for the record I am gay Mr Centrelink, so as I said, she is a good friend. 

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

Centrelink's rules require me to notify them every time I go overseas. I don't have to notify them when I return, they know that automatically.

So if they know immediately I return, why do they need notification when I leave? They know anyway.

Another example of petty bureaucracy in action.

I would say because that is their rule, and it provides everyone with an equal opportunity to fess up, and when they don't bingo, gotcha where they want yah.

Yes they know, but they are covering all bases, i.e. bazza73 you know it is a requirement that you advise us of your change in circumstances, i.e. financial or going overseas, so for not advising us, we can do this and that to you, and if your not happy about it, have to return to object through the appeals process, otherwise known as a lot of red tape to make your life a little harder.

That's what I think is the reason having read a lot of appeals cases.

20 hours ago, hellstens said:

I think it is the same as Sweden, If you register a marriage in Thailand

it is not valid in your home country, you need to marry here there too ;)

And yes you can get a marriage visa, it is only registered in Thailand anyway, But you need to renew and ask for a marriage visa in Thailand, not in your home country. 

I have done this for years and have no problem. :)

Sorry but Oz is not the same. To marry in Thailand, you will need to obtain documents to prove you are single and in my case, when my Australian wife passed away, I had to have a copy  of the death certificate. Both translated.  If you are legally married in Thailand, and obtain the marriage certificate, and it has to be translated, then it is recognised in Australia and you do not have to marry there.:wai:  

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Centrelink's rules require me to notify them every time I go overseas. I don't have to notify them when I return, they know that automatically.

So if they know immediately I return, why do they need notification when I leave? They know anyway.

Another example of petty bureaucracy in action.

I'd say the answer is pretty obvious. They want to know why you are going overseas. 

52 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Sorry but Oz is not the same. To marry in Thailand, you will need to obtain documents to prove you are single and in my case, when my Australian wife passed away, I had to have a copy  of the death certificate. Both translated.  If you are legally married in Thailand, and obtain the marriage certificate, and it has to be translated, then it is recognised in Australia and you do not have to marry there.:wai:  

You don't need to obtain documents to prove you are single. A statutory declaration made at the embassy is all that is required. You state on that that you are single.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would say because that is their rule, and it provides everyone with an equal opportunity to fess up, and when they don't bingo, gotcha where they want yah.

Yes they know, but they are covering all bases, i.e. bazza73 you know it is a requirement that you advise us of your change in circumstances, i.e. financial or going overseas, so for not advising us, we can do this and that to you, and if your not happy about it, have to return to object through the appeals process, otherwise known as a lot of red tape to make your life a little harder.

That's what I think is the reason having read a lot of appeals cases.

In other words, it creates makework for the staff they would otherwise have to fire.

31 minutes ago, tropo said:

You don't need to obtain documents to prove you are single. A statutory declaration made at the embassy is all that is required. You state on that that you are single.

When I was married it was required by the Amphur. Anyone can say anything on a Statutory Declaration, which by the way is a legal document but before they would marry us I had to have one from the Australian Government otherwise no marriage.  That was back in 2007.  If you were previously married, you will need to provide an original divorce or death certificate to demonstrate you are no longer married. You must bring original documents to be certified by the Australian Embassy. The Embassy cannot certify photocopies.  :wai:

13 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

When I was married it was required by the Amphur. Anyone can say anything on a Statutory Declaration, which by the way is a legal document but before they would marry us I had to have one from the Australian Government otherwise no marriage.  That was back in 2007.  If you were previously married, you will need to provide an original divorce or death certificate to demonstrate you are no longer married. You must bring original documents to be certified by the Australian Embassy. The Embassy cannot certify photocopies.  :wai:

A stat dec from the Australian Embassy, translated (into Thai) and certified by the DFA is all that is required by the Amphur. It's the same now as it was in 2007, clearly stated on the Australian Embassy's website.

It doesn't make sense that they must see divorce papers IMO. If you wanted to cheat, all you had to do was answer "never married".

1 minute ago, tropo said:

A stat dec from the Australian Embassy, translated (into Thai) and certified by the DFA is all that is required by the Amphur. It's the same now as it was in 2007, clearly stated on the Australian Embassy's website.

It doesn't make sense that they must see divorce papers IMO. If you wanted to cheat, all you had to do was answer "never married".

You seem to know all don't you?  I know what I was required and instructed to produce, so please, unless you know what my circumstances were, then don't post a response that tries to contradict and prove me wrong.  Your opinion doesn't matter much when it comes to what officials here require.  And not all people appear to be like you, want to cheat the system by lying.  Does it make your day by telling people that they should act dishonestly.  Says a lot believe me. :wai:

2 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

You seem to know all don't you?  I know what I was required and instructed to produce, so please, unless you know what my circumstances were, then don't post a response that tries to contradict and prove me wrong.  Your opinion doesn't matter much when it comes to what officials here require.  And not all people appear to be like you, want to cheat the system by lying.  Does it make your day by telling people that they should act dishonestly.  Says a lot believe me. :wai:

What are you on about? It's stated quite clearly what is required on the Australian Embassy's website. What is required now is exactly what was required in 2010, when I went through the process.  

This is what you said: "Anyone can say anything on a Statutory Declaration, which by the way is a legal document but before they would marry us I had to have one from the Australian Government otherwise no marriage".  

That's so vague it's impossible to contradict it. What document from the Australian Government? A stat dec? 

Getting "one form the Australian Government" means what? A stat dec from the Australian Embassy?

Your childish response, trying to make this personal, says a lot too... believe me.:wai:

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

What are you on about? It's stated quite clearly what is required on the Australian Embassy's website. What is required now is exactly what was required in 2010, when I went through the process.  

This is what you said: "Anyone can say anything on a Statutory Declaration, which by the way is a legal document but before they would marry us I had to have one from the Australian Government otherwise no marriage".  

That's so vague it's impossible to contradict it. What document from the Australian Government? A stat dec? 

Getting "one form the Australian Government" means what? A stat dec from the Australian Embassy?

Your childish response, trying to make this personal, says a lot too... believe me.:wai:

Please make up your mind with the dates.  You initially say 2007, when I was married, now it's gone to 2010 when you were married. Which is it?  If is not required today, doesn't mean it was not when I married. I don't make things up. 

For your benefit I was  referring to the single status document from the Department of Birth, Deaths and marriage, which it appears is now not accepted by itself. That is what I had to have otherwise no marriage. Not personal, just highlighting what actions you are advising others to take and as I said, if others follow your advise then it shows that anything can be said on a Stat Dec despite it being a legal document.  :wai:

1 hour ago, Si Thea01 said:

Please make up your mind with the dates.  You initially say 2007, when I was married, now it's gone to 2010 when you were married. Which is it?  If is not required today, doesn't mean it was not when I married. I don't make things up. 

For your benefit I was  referring to the single status document from the Department of Birth, Deaths and marriage, which it appears is now not accepted by itself. That is what I had to have otherwise no marriage. Not personal, just highlighting what actions you are advising others to take and as I said, if others follow your advise then it shows that anything can be said on a Stat Dec despite it being a legal document.  :wai:

No confusion of the dates. I know what was required when I married in 2010 (I'm aware you were married in 2007) and I know what is required now after reading carefully the current information on the Australian Embassy site. ONLY a stat dec is required if you're single, and they reportedly want to see other papers if you're widowed or divorced.

You were making it personal indicating that I was suggesting illegal activities and that told you something about me. I was not. As you didn't seem to understand my initial comment, allow me to elaborate.

I used IMO to indicate that in my opinion, it seems wrong that they require people who honestly answer that they are divorced to provide evidence, yet if you're single they just accept you at your word. That doesn't mean I'm suggesting that people who are not single should just say they are.