Will Oz Govt know if I marry in Thailand?

If I marry my girlfriend and register the marriage in Thailand will Australian centrelink find out? I will be on Oz age pension and there is a big reduction in payments if they find out I am married, but if I am officially married in Los I can get marriage visa and only need income and savings of 400k rather than 800k for retirement visa. If I marry and my wife is not eligible for oz pension I lose single pension and get half married pension so it is aboutt $A200 a fortnight less. Any Oz expats out there tried this?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say NO. Not unless you tell them. 

Although we live in the information age, do you really think the Thai government is correlating a list from the local Amphers and sending it to all the governments of the world ? 

Lots of people think that the "free to marry" stat dec from the embassy is informing the Australian Government, its not !

Even if the Australian Gov noted the contents of a stat dec, (they dont) its not proof you got married only freedom to marry.

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Although we live in the information age, do you really think the Thai government is correlating a list from the local Amphers and sending it to all the governments of the world ? 

Lots of people think that the "free to marry" stat dec from the embassy is informing the Australian Government, its not !

Even if the Australian Gov noted the contents of a stat dec, (they dont) its not proof you got married only freedom to marry.

but if you were to ever take your legally married wife to Australia would they be able to track that

1 minute ago, BEVUP said:

but if you were to ever take your legally married wife to Australia would they be able to track that

Yes thats right, but only if you apply for the visa as married to an Australian. There are still privacy laws covering the information provided by a Thai visa applicant and the sharing of that information. The Thai persons information can be shared not the status of another person mentioned in the application..

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You sure you've got that right,  it don't make any sense.

Not sure but something like this

He's on OAP , then reports to Centerlink that he is now married (he ends up on married couple pension ) which would be for 2 people

But since his wife is not of Auss Retirment Age ( able to still work ) his Marriage couples Pension will be cut

This is the way I hope it works, better for me to get marriage visa! But it is likely we will need a tourist visa for her to visit Oz at some stage. Do we need to declare marriage to get visa? What if she doesnt change her name on passport?

I think it is the same as Sweden, If you register a marriage in Thailand

it is not valid in your home country, you need to marry here there too ;)

And yes you can get a marriage visa, it is only registered in Thailand anyway, But you need to renew and ask for a marriage visa in Thailand, not in your home country. 

I have done this for years and have no problem. :)

Edited by hellstens

To get a registered marriage over here you need to sign a stat dec and get it stamped at your consulate. I wonder if they keep a copy and add details to a database. Probably. Its the nanny state of oz govt we are talking about. The question is can you get that stat dec stamped from an attorney over here instead of the consulate? I dont know. 

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think Peterw42 is spot on. In your shoes, my concern would be that you are legally required to notify Centrelink of any changes to your circumstances. Thus, if they were to become aware at any time in the future, you may have a huge over-payment and there may also be criminal ramifications.

1 hour ago, davidst01 said:

To get a registered marriage over here you need to sign a stat dec and get it stamped at your consulate. I wonder if they keep a copy and add details to a database. Probably. Its the nanny state of oz govt we are talking about. The question is can you get that stat dec stamped from an attorney over here instead of the consulate? I dont know. 

The stat dec is "free to marry", not "I am married". 

4 hours ago, Fatone said:

Yes if married you get half married pension for sure if they know

This doesn't make any sense at all.

I am married to a Thai, we were married in Australia, she is 21 years my junior, does that qualify me to get a marriage pension, I don't think so ?

The question I have is; how can I be entitled to apply for a marriage pension when she is 21 years my junior, what you are saying here is, because we are married, I am entitled to a marriage pension, just out of marriage, and then they will halve that, I don't believe this is right, as my understanding is, you both have to be of the pension age, perhaps someone can clear this up ?

Do you mean that they would reduce your single age pension, if you were married because they would assume that she can support you, just asking.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Good question.. I'm in the same situation.. you definitely looses some of your pension if they know you are married..  there was a similar question awhile back .. there was a link to Centerlink pension rates (sorry I've lost the link).. if I remember correctly you are right.. about $200 a fortnight.. Centerlink is hooked up with immigration.. they know everything immigration knows.. ...btw... Medicare isn't hooked up to immigration.. stupid me asked a question and got cut off.. be careful.. 

As far as I know all foreigners need a letter from their respective country embassies or consulates to confirm that they are free to marry (i.e. not already married). If that letter is issued, then you have to assume that the embassy has to record this, so that Oz Gov will definitely be aware.

If you are worried about your pension then it's probably safer just do the ceremonials and have a barbie; however this course may make it more difficult to get the Mrs a visa if you want to take her home. 

20 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Good question.. I'm in the same situation.. you definitely looses some of your pension if they know you are married..  there was a similar question awhile back .. there was a link to Centerlink pension rates (sorry I've lost the link).. if I remember correctly you are right.. about $200 a fortnight.. Centerlink is hooked up with immigration.. they know everything immigration knows.. ...btw... Medicare isn't hooked up to immigration.. stupid me asked a question and got cut off.. be careful.. 

Just did some research myself on this, it appears if you are married, you can apply to get the married rate which is about $613 per person, per fortnight, i.e. around $1,226 per fortnight, and then they halve it, so its about $613 per fortnight Vs $814 per fortnight for a single pension, albeit about $5,000 AUS per year the difference, still enough to live in Thailand, depending on your creature comforts. So might not have to go through my divorce plan after all.

But watch out for that 2 year rule, if they can smell you are going to go back overseas, they can decline your pension, so the more assets you have in Aus, the stronger your case.

As for Medicare its good for 5 years if you are out of the country, after that, you are toast, and will have to reapply.