Tourists call for water quality check at Hua Hin beach

webfact

9 hours ago, Xonax said:

Let´s have a Water Quality check at all beaches and pools in Thailand, like they have in most civilized countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hua_Hin_District#EnvironmentThe quality of the waters of the Gulf of Thailand off central Hua Hin were rated "fair" in 2015 by the Pollution Control Department. But, the report noted that "...the main tourism areas, namely Cha–Am Beach, ... and Hua Hin Beach, ... should be consistently monitored, since enterococci [fecal] bacteria levels exceeded the standard...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Thailand#Water_quality

Thailand State of Pollution Report,  2015 http://infofile.pcd.go.th/mgt/PollutionReport2015_en.pdf

Please check these links below to see millions of dead fish on the Vietnam beaches due to contaminated substances dumped into the ocean from  the Taiwan chemical company and from many contaminated sources.  Many people there got sick to eat seafood.  Please be cautious !

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-vietnam-fish-20160504-story.html

http://www.smh.com.au/world/millions-of-dead-fish-wash-up-on-vietnams-coast-in-huge-environmental-disaster-20160506-goo2bo.html

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-vietnam-deep-water-fishing-polluted-area.html

This is nothing to do with contaminated water, it happens a lot after rough weather, shoals of s small young fish are washed up on the beach and the waves rapidly recede leaving them stranded in the sand, were they die etc. Happens regularly on other beaches. 

2 hours ago, anfh said:

This is nothing to do with contaminated water, it happens a lot after rough weather, shoals of s small young fish are washed up on the beach and the waves rapidly recede leaving them stranded in the sand, were they die etc. Happens regularly on other beaches. 

And you are an expert marine biologist?

Wheres your explanation other than “it happens alot after rough weather”.

I’ve lived along many beaches, Never seen anything like this.

15 hours ago, Suetape said:

To late to change my travel plans to HAU HIN in early December but after reading  this I’ll definitely stay out of the water.    I booked a cooking class and morning cycle tour so far.     Any other suggestions? 

You're probably better off simply getting a taxi 45 minutes South to Koh Sam Roi Yot national park as the beaches there are simply divine with very few people, plus there is so much to see and do in one day with caves and what not. Prachuap town also is a lot better than HH imo for beaches. If I HAVE to go to a beach in Hua Hin, I often go to Suan Son Pradipat as it is cleaner and further down the shore than the crowded and dirty main beach 

water in huahin is much cleaner than in pattaya. or chaam . the itchiness comes from  tiny microscopic jellyfish. sometimes i feel it too. i've been living in huahin for past 10 years. swimming everyday in the sea, or kitesurfing or teaching kite- sending   5-10 hourrs in the sea everyday.

and yes yesterday the beach was fully covered with fish. and thais  coming with buckets, bags to collect fish and eat it or sell it. by the evening there were still piles of fish everywhere and  lots of them floating dead in the water. and smell wa awful as  it starts rottening. today no kitesurfing for me for sure

18 hours ago, HHTel said:

This is a regular phenomenon at this time of year.  The explanation given previously is the amount of fresh water being drained into the gulf from dams and heavy rainfall cause stress to the marine life.  These are salt water fish. It has nothing to do with the water quality in Hua Hin which gets the dead fish due to the existing currents. 

Oh bullish!t!

I've lived near the beach and lakes all my life. The only time I saw anything close to this was when a lake near my house had insufficient oxygen for the fish and they began jumping onto the beach, dying by the hundreds.

What we have here is fish being washed up already dead on the beach by the hundreds of thousands due to Thai pollution.

It is so obvious.

3 hours ago, soistalker said:

Oh bullish!t!

Well this bullshit is predictable every year.  Some even make a point of coming into Hua Hin to pick up the fish.  Look at the flood timetable along with dams releasing water and you can predict it quite accurately.

6 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Well this bullshit is predictable every year.  Some even make a point of coming into Hua Hin to pick up the fish.  Look at the flood timetable along with dams releasing water and you can predict it quite accurately.

Oh yes. I will look at the flood timetables. I look at them several times a day, Mr. Apologist.

1 minute ago, soistalker said:

Oh yes. I will look at the flood timetables. I look at them several times a day, Mr. Apologist.

Well, regardless.  I've lived in Hua Hin many many years and have seen this regularly.  Not quite as spectacular as this year but nevertheless it happens.  I've had relatives in BKK call to ask if there are fish on the beach yet!!  The reason they are dumped on the beaches here are down to established currents.

It rained heavily in the area for hours on Monday. The freshwater drained off into the sea and by the evening fish, prawns, crabs and other marine life started bobbing to the surface to breathe, unable to get enough dissolved oxygen.  

Source: Bangkok Post.

5 hours ago, soistalker said:

I've lived near the beach and lakes all my life. The only time I saw anything close to this was when a lake near my house had insufficient oxygen for the fish and they began jumping onto the beach, dying by the hundreds.

What we have here is fish being washed up already dead on the beach by the hundreds of thousands due to Thai pollution.

It is so obvious.

I've seen similar in Australia after an algal bloom de-oxygenated the water.

51 minutes ago, Gunnar Horpestad said:

Today, Thursday the 19th Oct. the beach is still full of rotten fish, and it smells absolutely terrible.
Why don't the Hua Hin govern. fix this??
Tourists and evern Soi dogs do not want to go to the beach.
The whole Hua Hin smells rotten fish.

It's a shame, a big time shame

Agree absolutely.  If it hasn't been cleared by now then the authorities need to hang their heads in shame.  It was stated that the army were to help in the clear up.

Too busy putting up 'no smoking' signs and building 'fish bowls'

54 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Agree absolutely.  If it hasn't been cleared by now then the authorities need to hang their heads in shame.  It was stated that the army were to help in the clear up.

Too busy putting up 'no smoking' signs and building 'fish bowls'

Let them "swim with the fishes". 

godfather.jpg

On 10/18/2017 at 5:22 AM, SpicyMeatball said:

And you are an expert marine biologist?

Wheres your explanation other than “it happens alot after rough weather”.

I’ve lived along many beaches, Never seen anything like this.

'Fish Kill' is not uncommon after excessive weather. 

After a 'warm weather storm' extremely high levels of fresh water run off into the sea locally alter the Sea water Salinity some fish who survived in a narrow environmental / salinity margin are unable to survive this shift. The salinity is further altered in extreme storm weather as deeper and shallower waters mix.

Additionally a lack of oxygen dissolved in the water also exacerbates this issue and is often caused from run-off from farmland chemicals and polluted streets. 

Authorities obviously failed to do the simple thing and take some heavy machinery to the beach and clear up the majority of the rotting flesh - it could have been sorted out in a morning if someone in the position of decision making power cared enough.

This is obviously an embarrassment to the Thai authorities.  They do make an effort to get it right but seem to lack the real know-how  when it comes to making it happen.  I lived in Singapore for one year in 1969-70 and the waterways there were filthy.  They stunk and garbage floated far out to sea in places.  Last week I went on a River Cruise there and couldn't see one piece of rubbish in the water anywhere.  Thailand will get it right but at a great expense, people will lose their livelihoods,  just as they did in Singapore, and prices will rise accordingly.  When footpaths are finally developed for people, and not motorcycles and other clutter, all the food vendors will disappear and the 50 Baht street meal with it.  An Indian Restaurant in Singapore charged 2,350 Baht for a simple one dish meal for 3 people.  A bus tour of the city cost 2,500 Baht for 3 people.  When change comes it will be costly, however, people will suffer.  What do you do with all the people now making a living by the side of the road?  Many businesses in Thailand are paying minimum wages and employing people part time.  A little more attention right now to the areas where tourists prefer to go will prevent word-of-mouth and tweets destroying an essential industry.

Archived