NAKED or FAIRED ??

mercman24

any thoughts.?? always had big sports bikes in the UK and even then, when stopped i use to get a lot of engine heat and fans firing up when stopped, was thinking unfaired bike this time just to get some fresh air onto me not going big this time maybe 250/300 honda /yamaha so can do some out of town riding., 

OTY really.  Personally I'd go the naked style bike but it depends a lot on your type of riding.

If long distance trips then one of those visor/shield type things would be recommended.  They cut down the force on your body when going a bit faster plus good at deflecting bugs!

It also depends on your riding style...upright like a ADV bike or laid down like a superbike.

Around town I'd prefer upright...even crusing I'd prefer upright. But that's just my preference.

Ok, I am a Captain Slow, but don't think faired bikes work here in LOS, even screens will cut down on the badly needed cooling effect. I have a screen on my Vespa in Portugal and on a hot day it is not nice, but when it is cooler it is great. The vast majority of the time it is inadvisable to ride fast, so you will be crouched over, belly on the tank, for no reason.

I just bought a CRF250L (collect at the weekend) and my reasons are related to the above, "if you can't ride fast, ride rough". Indeed that is often necessary, due to the roads around here, plus there are thousand of kms of tracks to explore. I think they are pretty good on road too despite the OR tyres, I know the Lifan dirtbike I have ridden for the past two years is. Haven't tried jumping over a sleeping dog yet, but it handles potholes with ease.

Also you sit up high, so you can see and be seen, not a bad thing at all.

I will leave others to tell you about the road bikes as I am somewhat biased.... right now anyway.

You cant take a Bike onto expressways in Thailand, the very place you would get most advantage from a fairing.

No fairing and the wind tends to take some of the weight off your wrists if you have a hunched over cafe racer. 

19 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

I like the naked look but it is a personal taste. My Stallion 400 Scrambler is a naked bike and I take some day trips (4 hr rides) and have no problem with wind resistance at 100-120kph.

Saw one yesterday in a petrol station, the guy had just collected it from the dealer and was doing his first fill. Helped him get the fuel cap on (push down), a reeeeeally nice looking (and sounding) bike. Good choice for you, would have thought.

Post a picture will you Rdr, hope you don't mind me calling you Rdr, are you R2D2's brother?

4 hours ago, AllanB said:

Saw one yesterday in a petrol station, the guy had just collected it from the dealer and was doing his first fill. Helped him get the fuel cap on (push down), a reeeeeally nice looking (and sounding) bike. Good choice for you, would have thought.

Post a picture will you Rdr, hope you don't mind me calling you Rdr, are you R2D2's brother?

Allen, no problem calling me Rdr as I have been called worse.:smile: Actually it stands for Road Rocket which is a nickname given to me by the boys in blue. Had a license plate on my old car that read, Rdrokit, which is the closest to my nickname that was available at the DMV. I tried loading a pic of my bike but for some reason it gives me a message that the photo will not load. I tried Exployer, Firefox and Chrome and scaled down the image but still wont load. Look at post 189 on page 13 and you can see my bike.