CU advances to 308th in world university rankings, Thailand told more research needed at universities

webfact

CU advances to 308th in world university rankings, Thailand told more research needed at universities

By The Nation

00c0632b7142fa44b13fb92a94f5080d.jpeg

Chulalongkorn University (CU) has ranked among the world’s 500 best universities, according to the latest ranking.

It is the only Thai higher-educational institute to make it to the top half of the Centre for World University Rankings (CUWR) 2017 list, which came out yesterday and identified the world’s top 1,000 universities. 

In the latest list, the CU sits at the 308th spot – up from 320th a year earlier. 

Two other Thai universities on the CUWR 2017 list are Mahidol University (MU) and Chiang Mai University (CMU). 

MU has also risen up the list this year, placing 518th – up from 522nd last year. 

But CMU has fallen down the ranking, from 808th last year to 846th this year. 

“The performance of Thailand’s representatives in the top 1000 in 2017 is generally similar to last year,” said Dr Nadim Mahassen, president of the CUWR. “Further funding should be invested in research if the country aspires to increase its competitiveness on the global stage.” 

CUWR is the publisher of the largest academic ranking of global universities.

For the 2017 edition of the rankings, 27,770 degree-granting institutions of higher education worldwide were evaluated, among which the top 1000 research-intensive institutions received rankings based on eight objective indicators covering education, alumni employment, and research.

Leading the list is the prestigious Harvard University from the United States (US). Coming next are Stanford University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, both from the US as well.

But the fourth and the fifth ranked are from the United Kingdom. They are the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford respectively. 

This year, 61 countries – more than ever before – feature in the top 1000 list, which represents the top 3.7 per cent of degree-granting institutions of higher education globally.

“The US remains the dominant force in higher education worldwide, claiming the top three spots, eight of the top 10, and 54 of the top 100. It leads with 225 universities represented in the top 1000, followed by China (97), Japan (71), the UK (65), and Germany (57),” Mahassen said.

The best-performing Asian university on the list is the University of Tokyo, which ranks 13th. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30329492

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-17

This is like a student just prepping and being tutored to get the grade to get the piece of paper.

The focus should be on the research the university does and the subsequent effects on society and the workplace.

Focusing on these silly and very subjective league tables is putting the cart before the horse.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

14 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

So it seems only The Nation thinks the Center for World University Rankings = CUWR?? Lol 

Which University on the list did the writer go to? 27,771 perhaps. 

Well spotted but, for the umpteenth time, stop calling me Lol

16 hours ago, webfact said:

“The performance of Thailand’s representatives in the top 1000 in 2017 is generally similar to last year,” said Dr Nadim Mahassen, president of the CUWR. “Further funding should be invested in research if the country aspires to increase its competitiveness on the global stage.” 

Further Funding Invested in Research - or RIFF in 'The Nation' speak - Just 4 simple words that tell most if not the whole story, closely followed by a root & branch cleanout of dead wood, cliques and cronyism that, I suspect, will be rife amongst the ageing 'educated' who will hardly know what good further education resembles. And, if the Junta's the tiddliest bit interested, less SUBs = more TUDs . . . simple, if their was a working brain amongst them :saai:

46 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

This is like a student just prepping and being tutored to get the grade to get the piece of paper.

The focus should be on the research the university does and the subsequent effects on society and the workplace.

Focusing on these silly and very subjective league tables is putting the cart before the horse.

Hardly subjective in my view, when it can safely be assumed they are based on degree-achievement stats.

Edited by Ossy
Message clarity

Thai Universities/Colleges are mere money making mechanisms. Nobody fails; all are welcome so long as parents can afford the fees irrespective of academic abilities; at the end of the course, worthless scraps of paper are issued  and real learning can begin as the scrabble for jobs ensues. Here again money talks.

3 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Since the forum stemmed from a piece by The Nation, wholly based on the CWUR table, I believe my source more relevant than one that you might rate more highly. If you'd stated your preferred source of ranking in the first place, it would have helped. We're all getting so used to misinformation from the top dogs that it's little wonder we stoop to deploying it ourselves . . . not me, of course :sleep:

1 hour ago, Ossy said:

Since the forum stemmed from a piece by The Nation, wholly based on the CWUR table, I believe my source more relevant than one that you might rate more highly. If you'd stated your preferred source of ranking in the first place, it would have helped. We're all getting so used to misinformation from the top dogs that it's little wonder we stoop to deploying it ourselves . . . not me, of course :sleep:

As I posted, the source I mentioned has a higher credibility - do check it yourself

6 hours ago, Ossy said:
7 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Oxford - and First of course  - next question  :clap2:

Huh! . . . not according to the CWUR list http://cwur.org/2017.php That clearly gives Oxford 2nd place.

The issue re credibility of ratings was entirely of your own making. My initial challenge, re the correctness of your 'Oxford First' assertion was entirely sound, since at that point, the only ratings table 'on the table' was the CWUR one. OK - according to the Times HE ratings, your OU might have outscored CU . . . I don't have a problem with that, as you appear to have in accepting the vagueness of your unaccredited initial claim.

Unless you wish to be argumentative rather than reasonable, I don't expect to hear from you again.

50 minutes ago, Ossy said:

The issue re credibility of ratings was entirely of your own making. My initial challenge, re the correctness of your 'Oxford First' assertion was entirely sound, since at that point, the only ratings table 'on the table' was the CWUR one. OK - according to the Times HE ratings, your OU might have outscored CU . . . I don't have a problem with that, as you appear to have in accepting the vagueness of your unaccredited initial claim.

Unless you wish to be argumentative rather than reasonable, I don't expect to hear from you again.

As you have just said the Times list is more credible - which was my point nin the first place  :thumbsup:

308th place

Explains why things are what they are here with the other top local uni's way down the list of education, except for the boys in green who are even further down but running a country

Expect no changes in the distant future as the dumb get dumber.