Bangkok is one of the most dangerous cities to live in, study says

webfact

5 hours ago, Sig said:

I'm not sure how BKK could have gotten such a bad rap! In the short 6-7 years I lived in BKK, I was only held up at gunpoint once, only witnessed one shooting, only saw the results of 3 stabbings and one other shooting, only saw 2 coups (those 6-7 years weren't consecutive), only saw 2 gang fights between technical school enemies, only saw 2 dead bodies floating in the khlongs, only one semi-riot (among hoodlums), only one year did I witness the city taken over by violent mobs of red-shirts and was within a block of dozens of killings during that time, saw the World Trade Center (now nice and politely renamed) and buildings at Victory Monument and Siam Center torched, witnessed buses, vans, and taxis driven by drunk or high drivers on multiple occasions, but on only one occasion did I see my friend's car totaled by one of those out of control maniacal bus drivers on a main avenue in the city, had burglars break in and steal from neighbors only one time each in the 3 different condos I lived in there, only one time did anybody jump from a very high floor in one of the condos I lived in, and only caught a pickpocket one measly time. There may have been more colorful moments, but that's all I recall at the moment.

Getting by with so few problems I attribute to nearly never going to bars or clubs, keeping off the streets past 11p.m. most of the time, keeping associations with "educated" people (businessmen, lawyers, judges, church people, devout Buddhists, academics, scientists, and the like) rather than the kind of company farang are commonly thought to keep. I enjoy life up north quite a bit better. I think the biggest problem I've had in my years here is trying to find creative ways to return kindnesses shown me on regular occasion, no violence, death, mayhem, petty crime, etc. Lanna culture seems to have had a lasting effect over the past hundred years, making the north quite different than the culture that took it over (annexed it) all those years ago. hmmm one glaring omission... driving up here is no better than BKK and maybe even worse?

Gee....you've seen it all.

My way is much safer....only go to bars after 11pm and hang out with bar girls....never had a problem.

Never seen a jumper, a murder or experienced theft of any kind.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2017 at 11:52 AM, darksidedog said:

Ooo! That won't go down well with TAT and the Junta. I am sure we will hear denials from them in fairly short order, telling us that key factors were incorrectly interpreted and that recent actions by the Government have addressed many of the issues, so that the ranking should be considered unfair and out of date.

they just dont understand us

15 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Any? Really? You've spent time in them all then? It's not just about behaving oneself, their also talking health/infrastructure and are probably on the money.

Took till post #10 though, not bad.

Take a  'butchers' at todays BBC news from London, its on some sort of high alert danger level red to off the scale pink to Fukashima run to the khasi and panic warning.  Certain no-go areas in London have been the norm for years.

15 hours ago, Kevbo said:

Yes, moronic indeed, but he's not the only one on this forum that thinks, should of, would of, could of, is English......you know who you are mate ! Can't say any more

England is bankrupt, in austerity, in social crisis, the pound devalues, governed by idiots...and the English worry about Grammar.

16 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Thanks for the Discussion, I think that BKK is not that dangerous, as most people here say, and well, the cops are just the Cops. ...

Things are not getting much better with them anywhere, the Population pressure stepping up, as we slowly fill up the whole world, so that there is not spare room left ... and Human beings being Human beings, ... they all try to carve their Little Piece of the world out. ...

Yes the Rose coloured Glasses of the 80's ???  …  Well, I think that it is a LOT better here now !!! ... Like my stories of how safe I feel here, are from NOW, not the 80's ...

My 80's stories, go something like, so drunk that I nearly fell on the Policeman’s table in the Restaurant, and knocked their drinks over, …. And when they said "Hey Folang, do you know who we are" … I just said,  “Yes !!! Sure I do”, .... And staggered out of the open fronted place, and just managed to get on my Motorbike, and rode Home .. …  But well yes, No rose Glasses, I am 64 now, and have stopped drinking, even though I do live in Thailand !!! ... And well that REALLY has made it a MUCH better Place for me, … and well, I probably will live a bit longer now also …..

So Please excuse my Just trying to tell you about it, Enjoying Life, and not worrying about the cops or the other Dramas … that are just …. Human actions results of the environment, …. And just to be factored in ??? Within reason, …. If you actually want to Know about, and enjoy Life  

Hi Mark, I'm a 'potato sack'. and still giggling.

4 hours ago, talahtnut said:

England is bankrupt, in austerity, in social crisis, the pound devalues, governed by idiots...and the English worry about Grammar.

No not worried ! Just don't like to see ignorance, especially when it's arrogant ignorance ..... When did I say I was English ?

40 minutes ago, Kevbo said:

No not worried ! Just don't like to see ignorance, especially when it's arrogant ignorance ..... When did I say I was English ?

You did not say you were English. Where did I say you were English?  Your recursive transgressions only serve to light up your own insular cortex. Have a Singha and chill.

• Confused 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:24 AM, Moti24 said:

The capital of Australia is Canberra.  However, I have a relation that has lived in Sydney, Perth, on the Gold Coast and currently living in Adelaide.  All large cities throughout the world are very similar; if you go looking for trouble, you'll find it.  I've lived in Bangkok for a few years and had no problems at all.  And yet, I have stayed the odd week in the sticks, and have witnessed WW3 almost break-out for hardly no reason whatsoever.

In general, Thailand isn't a country that I would refer to as a safe place to live.  But, where is these days.

Viet Nam is ranked as one of the safest places to travel and lived esp. for single female travelers.

Sai Gon ( 9 million) and Ha Noi ( 6 million) are among the safest places to lived and work for ex pats. those 2 are the largest cities in VN. then you have Hue and Da Nang ( 1 .2 million) , Hai Phong, and Vinh round out major pop centers in the country. rarely do you hear any news involving crime against ex pats . and if you do, the perps will be punish harshly . the VN gov't will not put with any crap that involves hurting the image of the country unlike the Thai gov't.

Viet Nam is ranked as one of the safest places to travel and lived esp. for single female travelers.
Sai Gon ( 9 million) and Ha Noi ( 6 million) are among the safest places to lived and work for ex pats. those 2 are the largest cities in VN. then you have Hue and Da Nang ( 1 .2 million) , Hai Phong, and Vinh round out major pop centers in the country. rarely do you hear any news involving crime against ex pats . and if you do, the perps will be punish harshly . the VN gov't will not put with any crap that involves hurting the image of the country unlike the Thai gov't.
Doubt it. Google hand bag snatching, it's the worst by far in all of Asia.

40 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:
2 hours ago, Hong Bong Dynasty said:

Doubt it. Google hand bag snatching, it's the worst by far in all of Asia.

LOL!! you're going with hand bag snatching as a reason for unsafe travels to VN?? you need to go there yourself to experience the country first hand then. those victims are usually careless and foolish to flaunt their name brand purses in open, busy areas in District 1 of Sai gon.  oh btw, those victims are mostly Viet and do involved tourists from time to time. use common sense when travelling anywhere. remember crime happens when there is an opportunity. those incidents aren't enough to discount what I posted.

Edited by Hong Bong Dynasty

17 minutes ago, Hong Bong Dynasty said:

https://www.travelvietnam.com/blog/359-vietnam-is-in-the-list-of-safest-countries-to-visit.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293921-i8432-k9722088-Is_Vietnam_dangerous_for_solo_traveller-Vietnam.html

https://safearound.com/asia/vietnam/

I gave you a list for all around information so it doesn't appear that I am bias. hopefully you decide to come and visit VN. safe travels!

Edited by Hong Bong Dynasty

On 10/18/2017 at 11:17 AM, InMyShadow said:

Funny that. Those who are frightened of BKK live elsewhere in Thailand or one poster saying he back in the UK.

Overwhelming majority feel perfectly safe.

False news..They should have mentioned Los Vegas, Chicago, New York and a dozen others.

Case closed.. Next!

Scunthorpe can be very scary on Market day !  

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Soi cowboy can be scary .....  especially when it's time to pay the bill

Yes I will back that remark, though Only with One visit lately, and experience of a dodgy total over priced rip off .-100% I suppose you could say I suppose (Forgettable ? Sxxxxx hxxxxx ???) .... ... d/t a Group of 4 but us sitting in different places, and well got some drinks charged twice, with yes, ..fake almost Tears from the staff, and No action at all from the Corrupt Cashire. ....  (Though, Yes one of my Friends was not the smartest man in town either)  ... But It did not happen like this back in the 80's and even 90's I think.

Edited by Mark mark

17 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Hi Mark, I'm a 'potato sack'. and still giggling.

Yearrr, Thanks Mate !!! ... And GOOO for it !!! ...  But well, do not tea Leaf any thing from the bars or Duty free at SavanaBumi right ? ... Like they have security Cameras out there, that apparently must work !!! ??? (Ps, I am 5' 7" and 97 kg so well, trying Really hard, not to be seen as a Potato sack my self, ... Very few Full length mirrors in my House Right !!!)  ...

Edited by Mark mark

7 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Yearrr, Thanks Mate !!! ... And GOOO for it !!! ...  But well, do not tea Leaf any thing from the bars or Duty free at SavanaBumi right ? ... Like they have security Cameras out there, that apparently must work !!! ??? (Ps, I am 5' 7" and 97 kg so well, trying Really hard, not to be seen as a Potato sack my self, ... Very few Full length mirrors in my House Right !!!)  ...

Good thinking mate...'Potato Sack' is now in my repertoire

images.jpg

21 hours ago, talahtnut said:

You did not say you were English. Where did I say you were English?  Your recursive transgressions only serve to light up your own insular cortex. Have a Singha and chill.

It was my post that you criticised suggesting the English were worried about grammar, thus insinuating that I was English. You are just spouting gobbledegook , perhaps you should have a singha and put the dictionary away

• Like 1

2 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Good thinking mate...'Potato Sack' is now in my repertoire

images.jpg

Well Thanks Brother, .... I am glad that someone likes my idea / Style of Humor, ... Still I do have to admit, that when I original did hear about Potato sacks,  ....   That it was someone else, talking about Australian package Tourist, heading towards an unsuspecting Smorgasbord table !!! ....  At that time !!! ...

Still, old aged Pensioners from Blighty, looking for some Souvenirs with "Attitude", for their games rooms back home, in SavanaBumi duty free shops, ... and getting caught for shop lifting, ... well they would also probably well fit the model also I think .... ???

• Haha 1

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:42 AM, midasthailand said:

I can't comment on digital, but health, infrastucture and personal safety are far better than my hometown of Sydney!

No shortage of excellent hospitals, many excellent dentists, world class orthopaedic surgeons.

BTS, MRT, ATM transfers to other people in different banks, excellent mobile coverage, malls, entertainment.

I have never felt threatened living in Bangkok and do not hesitate to go anywhere at any time of the day or night.

The same cannot be said for Sydney or any other Australian capital city.

Agree with that.

Probably won't get 'king hit' for no reason in Bangkok either. 

I wonder where Sydney is on that survey given they had to change licensing laws due to violence at night. 

• Like 1

Hmm i think the publishers never visited the eastern part of Berlin. The north west side and the south East side of Paris. Never were in Amsterdam new west or in the south of Brussels. Not to forget Luik on Verviets in Belgium. In some areas the police not even trusts to go in. This is never encountered in manilla or bangkok