Bangkok is one of the most dangerous cities to live in, study says

webfact

31 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

"seen very little evidences of deliberate violence, mostly accidental... "

Never heard of accidental violence. I'll use that as a defence in Thailand when I knife a guy.  Your honour it was accidental violence as I slipped over and my knife unfortunately cut his throat" LMFA only in Thailand.

Australian/Brit expat term currently in vogue in Pattaya.

7 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Do you read and speak English or just Thai?

English and some Thai. In English Thai Visa Forum rules say you can not just partial quote someone. Let's just start with that. Your main meaning of course is some "newbie" who has only been here on and off for 17 years ( and several trips before that) could never have the knowledge and wisdom of "you" who must have been here since the 80's or before. However the newbie probably has spent more time in the recent years out and about all over neighborhoods in BKK. Is that clear English?

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1

I would tend to disagree. The bag snatching centre would be Pataya. Thankfully I still have my bag and the testicles it came with.
I would rather have my brief case handcuffed to my arm in Pattaya than be forced to live in that 3rd world ghetto in Cambodia. [emoji16]

13 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

I would rather have my brief case handcuffed to my arm in Pattaya than be forced to live in that 3rd world ghetto in Cambodia. emoji16.png

Yes...I know when I'm licked....

all over.

Edited by TimTang
  • Haha 1

There's no way this is correct. From a traffic perspective perhaps, but even then it is far safer to drive in Bangkok (unless you are one of the clueless troglodytes that insist on attempting to superimpose the "great white way" onto the correct-for-Thailand way, in which case you deserve pretty much everything you get) than some places I've been; many of which, by the way, have been humorously referred to as "developed nations" (as if that moniker would be suited to any nation that still advocates 'cleaning' your a** with sandpaper). Rookies.

Edited by Songlaw
Grammar correction. Removed "s" from, "insists."

7 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

Bangkok is not that dangerous. For me the issue is being beaten, threatened just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time in any major US city, I would expect much of Europe is the same. I have never in 20 years in Thailand been through what is routine yearly assaults of some sort, general abuse from people on the streets on public transpo etc, in American cities. I do not have to face situations on a monthly basis where I have to go into paranoia mode in Bangkok.  I do not have to have to ask people where things are sketchy and best totally avoided in Thailand. If you don't do that when visiting a major American city, then it may well be your last visit period.

I agree with you. There are occasional incidents in Bangkok where people act inappropriately but generally speaking you're less likely to encounter or be a victim of violence. I've witnessed violent outbursts, but I was never involved or have been the recipient (thankfully).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Ooo! That won't go down well with TAT and the Junta. I am sure we will hear denials from them in fairly short order, telling us that key factors were incorrectly interpreted and that recent actions by the Government have addressed many of the issues, so that the ranking should be considered unfair and out of date.

You forgot, "And tourism won't be affected".

4 minutes ago, TimTang said:

I agree with you. There are occasional incidents in Bangkok where people act inappropriately but generally speaking you're less likely to encounter or be a victim of violence. I've witnessed violent outbursts, but I was never involved or have been the recipient (thankfully).

Unless the "violent outbursts" were "Thai on Thai," odds are that it was (possibly unwittingly) incited by a farang. I have never witnessed anyone (save the occasional random bag-snatch, etc.) who was doing the right thing given an ounce of sh*t, for any reason anywhere in this country. Is it a paradise full of warm fuzzies? Of course not, but if you are even remotely self-aware, the biggest fear you will likely ever face is that of being ignored. For those who might argue, being "forcefully and serially sold to" is not generally considered a PTSD-inducing level of violence, so save your breath.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wvavin said:

No! It is definitely not the Thais fault. These dangers are caused by foreigners. Thais are very peaceful Buddhists.

Yes it's true that a majority of Thais that abide by the teachings of Buddha are peaceful people. There are many that don't give a shit about Buddha or any supreme being what so ever just like any country.

You should still be careful. There are many out there (Thais or not Thais) that may pretend to be righteous  but are not. Just stay on your toes while not being judgemental. This is just a kind warning.

5 hours ago, Falcon said:

I disagree with this as looking at the statistics of Pattaya, Phuket, etc. these are far more dangerous cities with far more fatalities and physical injuries happening than bangkok.

Obviously, they aren't including small towns in this survey. It's a worldwide survey and they are only looking at capital cities

53 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Bangkok is pretty safe for me Helps when u look like Hercules (Just Kidding)

There you said it

Farangs are usually a lot bigger so a one on one is out of the window, gets nasty when 4 to 1

Its as rough as rough can get but there are worse.

I found Cambodia very safe but would not trust it being safe so keep eyes and ears alert like all visitors should.

BK is the capital of scams (for me, cannot talk for Pat as left quickly) It attracts the worst from other parts of the country, some serious non educated scammers waiting to meet you day and night there.

Thank the Lord for that. Pattaya can take a breather.

Couple years ago I was stupid enough to walk shirtless from patong beach to nearby hotel and had a 400 quid gold chain snatched by a biker , he was blooming quick I must say but I thought no point in reporting it as no one around seemed interested and what to do?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, Songlaw said:

Unless the "violent outbursts" were "Thai on Thai," odds are that it was (possibly unwittingly) incited by a farang. I have never witnessed anyone (save the occasional random bag-snatch, etc.) who was doing the right thing given an ounce of sh*t, for any reason anywhere in this country. Is it a paradise full of warm fuzzies? Of course not, but if you are even remotely self-aware, the biggest fear you will likely ever face is that of being ignored. For those who might argue, being "forcefully and serially sold to" is not generally considered a PTSD-inducing level of violence, so save your breath.

WOW!!!...OK...I got everything up until you don't agree with the warm fuzzy Thailand scenario. Then you went into some sort of violence that I'm not familiar with.

I can tell by your post that you are intelligent and you have something to say. Sad to say my intelligence must be limited because I'm having difficulty understanding. If you could clarify maybe you can knock my IQ up a couple of points.

1 hour ago, TimTang said:

Exactly...unless you're an A$$hole looking for trouble you're not likely to find any. On the other hand, you might meat a lady that catches your fancy (just make sure it is a LADY unless you're into that kinda thing).

I think you meant to write: "...you might fancy a lady that catches your meat..." which adds a little more intrigue to your comment in parentheses!

WOW!!!...OK...I got everything up until you don't agree with the warm fuzzy Thailand scenario. Then you went into some sort of violence that I'm not familiar with.

I can tell by your post that you are intelligent and you have something to say. Sad to say my intelligence must be limited because I'm having difficulty understanding. If you could clarify maybe you can knock my IQ up a couple of points.
Forcibly sold to. You get that right? What else you struggling with?
  • Haha 1

-if you live in tourist area like khao san road

-if you live in a cheap appartment that have poor security and live amongst farang deadbeats. 

-if you drive car or bike

-if you are the drunk with the big mouth

-if you have crazy Thai girlfriend 

For each tick of above choices consider you 20% at danger.

I only tick one myself so i consider i am 80% safe.

10 year+ and no trouble in Bkk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, TimTang said:

Aussies are easy to spot and even easier if they are carrying a machete.  I don't see it as a big problem.