Change Thai Baht to Vietnam Dong

CLW

I have an upcoming trip to Vietnam.

Would it be better

A) to exchange Thai Baht here at Super rich

B) exchange at the Airport in Hanoi

C) use ATM withdrawal in Vietnam

Or won't there be much difference at all...

A) I always change some money to Viet dong in Thailand. Maybe pick up 2-5 million dong. Upon arrival, there's no need to run around to find a good exchange. However, sometimes they don't always have Viet dong on hand. Call Superrich first. 

B) Haven't been to Ha Noi in years but at SGN, I always use the Exim Bank exchange counter. Exim and ACB (my bank in VN) always have better rates among the Viet banks.

C)  ATM withdrawals are almost always limited to 2 million per transaction. You can blow that in a day. Bring your cash and exchange at a gold shop or Exim. If it's a lot, the gold shop rate will be a bit better. If you pull from your Thai account via a Viet ATM, the exchange rate is terrible. 

A) I always change some money to Viet dong in Thailand. Maybe pick up 2-5 million dong. Upon arrival, there's no need to run around to find a good exchange. However, sometimes they don't always have Viet dong on hand. Call Superrich first. 
B) Haven't been to Ha Noi in years but at SGN, I always use the Exim Bank exchange counter. Exim and ACB (my bank in VN) always have better rates among the Viet banks.
C)  ATM withdrawals are almost always limited to 2 million per transaction. You can blow that in a day. Bring your cash and exchange at a gold shop or Exim. If it's a lot, the gold shop rate will be a bit better. If you pull from your Thai account via a Viet ATM, the exchange rate is terrible. 
Thank you.
First amount I changed inside Hanoi Airport. Almost interbank rate +- 1%.
Therefore very good. I guess even better than Superrich.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 7:37 AM, CLW said:

First amount I changed inside Hanoi Airport

I am going on a trip there next week. Where should I go inside the airport to get some Dong ? 

I am going on a trip there next week. Where should I go inside the airport to get some Dong ? 
Sorry can't remember the name of the exchange booth.
It was something under the escalator and only a desk if I can remember correctly.
I bought my Sim card there as well.
However, it's similar as in BKK airports, all have the same rate.
Just watch out for any fees.
I use oanda currency converter app on my phone. It's works offline as well.
With that I checked the rate and it was better than the proposed rate for bank exchange.

On 12/8/2017 at 3:58 AM, balo said:

with yer ATM card there are machines just to the right as you exit the arrivals gate/customs at Noibai...never have exchanged cash meself...2 million dong limit (about USD100)...

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from Hoi An and Da Nang.  I didn't do any research before leaving thinking I could easily exchange Thai Baht to Dong.  Wrong!  

Some things I learned.

1. ATM max withdrawals usually 2 million Dong which is not much money at all.  I did find ACB allows 3 million Dong per transaction.  If anyone knows an ATM machine that allows a larger withdrawal that would be greatly appreciated.

2. Many hotels can only change USD for Dong.  This is a moot point really since most vendors accept USD.  I went to several before I could find one that accepted Canadian dollars and it was at a very poor rate.  No choice.  I needed Dong.  Did not find any that accepted Thai baht.  Very few exchange stands and no banks within walking distance from where I was staying.  Thanks for the tip on the Gold shops.

3. most vendors in Vietnam I encountered accept USD and are fair about the exchange rates as opposed to using Dong.  I will bring USD with me next trip!

Enjoy Vietnam.  I really enjoyed Hoi An and Bana Hills in Da Nang.

Edited by AlexCanada

1. There was a time recently, according to reports, that BIDV would give 5 million but it seems to have been dropped to 2 million like all the banks. At least that's the case here in Vung Tau. I have an ACB account which lets me withdraw 5 million max, but then I live here in VN. 

2. You must have got lucky with the vendors to buy with US$, however, you usually lose on the exchange rate due to fudging on smaller bills and all the zeroes. Foreigner bars will usually insist on Viet dong, and even have signs up saying so because it is illegal to use anything but dong. 

3. The only way to do it is to take your US$ or CDN$ or THbaht to a gold shop. Tip: Check the online Exim Bank ForEx page for fairly accurate and the least stingy rates before buying/selling at a gold shop and calculate what the payout to you should be. Gold shops tend to give a touch more than Exim. 

Wallet tip: Keep the 500,000, 200,000 and 100,000 notes in one pocket of your wallet and the others in sequence in the other pocket. 200,000 and 10,000 notes resemble each other in red/green colour shading as do 500,000 and 20,000 notes, which are a very similar blue. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp