Why Here ... Why I Want To Stay

So many things this year have pushed me away from Thailand. When i fist considered the country it was because it was a clean, safe, easy place to buy. I lived in Cambodia before, an amazing place, but too unstable to buy

New rules, new confusion. Worst thing i've heard is "Rectoactive". Applying laws rectoactively means that even if they come up with some rule that allows property ownership today, tomorrow they can take it away. Tomorrow they could spin it around and send you home.

Rectoactively they could change the condo law and dismiss all farang investment in the sector.

Thailand is a unique country. Chaotic, but peaceful. do not TRUST

So many things this year have pushed me away from Thailand. When i fist considered the country it was because it was a clean, safe, easy place to buy. I lived in Cambodia before, an amazing place, but too unstable to buy

New rules, new confusion. Worst thing i've heard is "Rectoactive". Applying laws rectoactively means that even if they come up with some rule that allows property ownership today, tomorrow they can take it away. Tomorrow they could spin it around and send you home.

Rectoactively they could change the condo law and dismiss all farang investment in the sector.

Thailand is a unique country. Chaotic, but peaceful. do not TRUST

Actually, I believe "rectoactive" means they can make you bend over and take it up the rectal cavity.

Chaotic, but peaceful -- that's what I love about this place. :o

Think retro...rather than rectro.......ouch.... :o

By the same token one day COMMON SENSE just might prevail when along comes a Thai Politician that decides its about time the country entered the 20th Century...21st is a bit much..and opens the place up....

Opportunities for ALL with no un due restrictions..(rectro-strictions) on who you are or where you come from ...just get on with the job...

Can you work.....please come and help us built the place.....WE need teachers ,engineers,lawyers,ELECTRICIANS.,road paviors,plumbers.....in accord with the Best International Standards.... :D

Wanna buy a house /property/business ....No problem ...How much...?

Got Thai wife/hubby /kids.....BIG welcome plus a 100 year VISA Stamp....with NO restrictions....thanks for coming and STAYING....

Register as a resident /vote /stand for the Thai parliament.....YES....

3 years here as a good Citizen...Want a Passport ...Just apply.....easy

Been ripped Off ....just make a report and our New Modern Honest Law-abiding Police force will deal with it in accordance with the l...... :D

Think retro...rather than rectro.......ouch.... :o

By the same token one day COMMON SENSE just might prevail when along comes a Thai Politician that decides its about time the country entered the 20th Century...21st is a bit much..and opens the place up....

Opportunities for ALL with no un due restrictions..(rectro-strictions) on who you are or where you come from ...just get on with the job...

Can you work.....please come and help us built the place.....WE need teachers ,engineers,lawyers,ELECTRICIANS.,road paviors,plumbers.....in accord with the Best International Standards.... :D

Wanna buy a house /property/business ....No problem ...How much...?

Got Thai wife/hubby /kids.....BIG welcome plus a 100 year VISA Stamp....with NO restrictions....thanks for coming and STAYING....

Register as a resident /vote /stand for the Thai parliament.....YES....

3 years here as a good Citizen...Want a Passport ...Just apply.....easy

Been ripped Off ....just make a report and our New Modern Honest Law-abiding Police force will deal with it in accordance with the l...... :D

Aye but then LOS would become like the boring west - which is what most of us all tried to escape from

:D

"rectoactive" was supposed to be a joke. Which was why it was in " ". I guess I'm as funny as John Kerry.

I prefer Cambodia to Thailand. Only reason I came here was because I thought it was easier to buy. So I'll go back (not to the west) but to the Bodge. Much simpler property ownership rules and the visa is a pinch.

I'll see you on street 51

:o

Cheerio

Want things easy here you go

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Retirement FM3 is a Mexico Visa valid for 365 days that allows foreigners to reside in Mexico for more then six months and can be extended every year.

A retirement FM3 does not mean that you have to be 65 or older; the age does not matter in this case as long as you can prove legal income of $1, 000.00, per month brought from abroad you qualify for this Visa.

Who needs a retirement FM3?

Foreigners that reside in Mexico for more then six months

Foreigners that own property

Foreigners that want to be protected in case of legal issues

Foreigners that want to have a Mexican driver license

Foreigners that want to have an US Vehicle in Mexico

Foreigners that want to change from FM3 to FM2 status

Posted: January 9, 2007, 9:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to think I could have driven there

One more year I would have qaulified for residency status Oh those Carne Asada Tacos

Visiting or Retiring Mexico

Back to Sparks Mexico Links Page

Please realize that every Mexican Consul or Immigration Office will have different standards and requirements so these listed below are only the most common situations

Visas

The first thing you’ll need to begin your new life in Mexico is a visa. The type of visa you choose to apply for can dramatically affect your freedom of movement, or freedom to stay in Mexico. You’ll want to choose the right visa for your needs.

The FM-T Visa

An FM-T Visa, or Tourist Visa, allows you to remain in Mexico for up to six months at a time. If you intend to keep a home in the United States or Canada, and visit Mexico for less than six months at a time, this may be the best option for you. If you plan on staying in Mexico for longer then 6 months at a time, or if you wish to work in Mexico, you should obtain a “resident” visa, either an FM2 or FM3 (see below). FM-T Visas are extremely easy to get and only cost about $22us. You will receive the form on your flight to Mexico, and will have it stamped at the immigration office at the airport (the cost is included in your airline ticket). If you cross the border in a car, you should stop at the immigration kiosk to get your form. Extending an FM-T visa to 180 days can be difficult and costly which is why you ask for 180 days at immigration.

The FM3 Visa

An FM3 Visa allows you to remain in Mexico for up to one year at a time. At the end of each year, the FM3 Visa may be renewed (renewals should be requested 30 days before the expiration date of the visa). With an FM3 Visa, you may leave and enter Mexico freely, at any time, and you are allowed to work in Mexico. Getting an FM3 makes bringing your household items (including one car) into Mexico very easy.

Besides the list below, you need to submit a request letter ... but here in Manzanillo they give you a questionnaire that they then take the information from and complete the request letter for you. You just sign it!

You will need to submit the following:

Your passport and copies of every page.

Proof of income. This figure changes constantly. It is based on minimum wage (250 times the minimum wage in Mexico City) and fluctuates with the exchange rate. The current amount is $13,100.00 pesos per month (half that again for a married couple). This proof could be in the form of a bank statement showing your investments generate that amount or more, it could also be a letter from your consulate stating you receive social security, a pension, etc.

The monthly income requirements are possibly reduced by 50% if you own and reside in your Mexican home. If this is the case, be sure to include a notarized copy of either the deed (escritura) or trust.

All that is required is proof that the minimum income is deposited in any financial institution, anywhere with credibility, be it the US, Europe, or offshore institution. Even a stock brokerage account, showing the requisite income, has proved sufficient, both in obtaining an original FM-3, both within Mexico at the local immigration office and at an overseas Mexican Consulate.

If you are married and your spouse also wishes to apply for an FM-3, have your original marriage certificate authorized and translated at the Mexican Consulate nearest the place of marriage.

Proof of residence - Utility bills, rental contract, letter from the local municipio

A number of pictures to their specification

Once you have all of the above mentioned items, make three copies of each and submit your package to immigration.

Normally, immigration stamps the original documents plus two sets of the copies with the date it was received. They keep the originals and one set of copies, the second set is for your files. It is habit to make the third set of copies as things can sometimes get misplaced.

The administrative "Fee" is about $1400.00 Pesos for your first FM3 and $1200 following years.

The FM2 Visa

An FM2 Visa might be a good option for those who wish to become Inmigrados (Permanent Residents who are not required to renew their visas every year. See the Inmigrado section for information on Inmigrado status). As an FM2 holder, you are considered an Immigrant, and may apply for Mexican citizenship after 5 years. FM2 Visa holders may not leave the country for more than 18 months during any five-year period, or they will lose their eligibility to apply for Inmigrado status; if an FM2 Visa holder leaves the country for longer than two years at a time, they will lose their status as an Immigrant. As an FM2 Visa holder, you may work in Mexico if you also apply for a work permit from Immigration , as long as the work is legal. You must also show proof of a certain amount of income when applying for an FM2 Rentista (Rentista Immigrante) Visa (see the Rentista section for information regarding Rentista Visas). The income required is less if you own your own home in Mexico. If you wish, you may also settle as a retiree, provided you can prove to the Mexican government that you can live on your savings, or on income from your investments, without needing additional income. While an FM2 removes the pain of having to renew your visa each year, it is more expensive and harder to receive than an FM3, and it is not recommended for retirees who intend to go back and forth to the US more then once a year. Click Here for applicable fees, documents you will need to file for an FM2, and a lawyer who can help you get it.

Rentista

Rentista status may be issued to those who are 51 years of age or older, who intend to settle in Mexico without working. Applications for Rentista status must be accompanied by a letter from a bank or other financial institution, or from a government Social Security or pension agency, certifying the amount of money that the applicant receives each month. Copies of banks statements and proof that the account is really yours (check book, letter from your bank or even original statements may be enough). Those over 51 who intend to retire in Mexico are encouraged to apply for a Rentista type of FM2 or FM3 Visa.

“Inmigrado” (Permanent Resident Status)

After living in Mexico for five years on an FM2 Visa, you may make a “Declaratoria de Inmigrado,” and apply for Inmigrado status. As an Inmigrado, you may qualify to receive Mexican nationality, and you do not need to give up your home country citizenship.