Trying to unlock Brexit, Britain's May to make offer on EU citizens

webfact

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

But that would be wrong. EU wants: Deal of the UK's obligations, deal of EU-UK citizens in each country, deal of the Northern Ireland - Ireland border. All those important negotiations for both sides, before the talk about trade deals can really kick in.

It's not that EU doesn't want to have the deals. Those three are prerequisites to start talking about trade deals. 

I'd be happy if the deals could be made as fast as possible and Brexit could happen in 2019.

The UK government were wrong to sign up to those prerequisites, who in their right mind agrees to a deal until the FULL deal has been discussed?

They should refuse to debate more until those prerequisites are removed. 

Ireland, if the EU want a hard border, that's their problem, trying to make it the UK's only is ridiculous.

Movement of people, only difficult if you want it to be. All EU citizens legally in the UK end March 2019 have full right to remain, the EU reciprocates. Tourism and work permits can't be that hard to sort out, IF they want it sorted out. 

As of the end of March 2019 we have no legal obligations, unless we sign an agreement beforehand. That is why the prerequisites should be taken away and some real negotiating start.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

The UK government were wrong to sign up to those prerequisites, who in their right mind agrees to a deal until the FULL deal has been discussed?

Ireland, if the EU want a hard border, that's their problem, trying to make it the UK's only is ridiculous.

Movement of people, only difficult if you want it to be. All EU citizens legally in the UK end March 2019 have full right to remain, the EU reciprocates. Tourism and work permits can't be that hard to sort out, IF they want it sorted out. 

As of the end of March 2019 we have no legal obligations, unless we sign an agreement beforehand. That is why the prerequisites should be taken away and some real negotiating start.

I don't think UK had anything to say to the prerequisites. To find deals for the primary issues however help UK to define the relationship with EU and it's neighbours in the future. I'm sure nobody wishes to go back to the era of IRA. 

As a much larger force, EU holds the cards and it can indeed dictate how this Brexit is been played. 

EU requires rules which will protect EU citizens and which will hold the test of UK legal system. If EU don't the a satisfactory deal, then the trade deals between larger EU and smaller UK will become rather challenging. 

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The problem for Theresa May is more her own side.

Poor woman. No, not really. She was eager to become the PM of the UK. She was eager to start the Brexit clock. Now, look at her, she truly represents what Brexiters wanted and what UK has become within the Europe. DMkqyVAW0AA9pDO.jpg.cabe6fee3c718d118c4da6b18bfaa319.jpg

Anyway, my view of our European brethren posting in such a derogatory way about the UK all the time is that it's nothing more than whistling in the graveyard. If they had any real conviction in their opinions that the UK is toast, they would make their views known and then leave the discussions, confident in their predictions. Instead, they just repeat their putdowns over and over again like parrots. Or maybe they just like trolling for reactions.

34 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Anyway, my view of our European brethren posting in such a derogatory way about the UK all the time is that it's nothing more than whistling in the graveyard. If they had any real conviction in their opinions that the UK is toast, they would make their views known and then leave the discussions, confident in their predictions. Instead, they just repeat their putdowns over and over again like parrots. Or maybe they just like trolling for reactions.

So, how does it feel to listen day after day how horrible mess your country is in? We have not even started yet. Brexit side did trash talk about EU for years already. How does it make you feel?

Ah, you already answered. It doesn't feel so good. Does it?

While you might think that UK is the brightest spot of Europe, the rest of us disagree. Most of our countries have bright sports and dim ones as well. The same applies to UK, which in total is slightly above the average.

I for one do not have an issue with people from the EU already living in the country staying in the UK after Brexit...but under UK law.  If they dont like that and want to stay under EU law then p**s off back to the EU. 

Edited by Caps
removed accidental quote insertion

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Anyway, my view of our EU brethren posting in such a derogatory way about the UK all the time is that it's nothing more than whistling in the graveyard. If they had any real conviction in their opinions that the UK is toast, they would make their views known and then leave the discussions, confident in their predictions. Instead, they just repeat their putdowns over and over again like parrots. Or maybe they just like trolling for reactions.

Couldn't resist!

'Anyway, my view of our UK brethren posting in such a derogatory way about the EU all the time is that it's nothing more than whistling in the graveyard. If they had any real conviction in their opinions that the EU is toast, they would make their views known and then leave the discussions, confident in their predictions. Instead, they just repeat their putdowns over and over again like parrots. Or maybe they just like trolling for reactions.'

:biggrin:

Edited by SheungWan

7 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Couldn't resist!

'Anyway, my view of our UK brethren posting in such a derogatory way about the EU all the time is that it's nothing more than whistling in the graveyard. If they had any real conviction in their opinions that the EU is toast, they would make their views known and then leave the discussions, confident in their predictions. Instead, they just repeat their putdowns over and over again like parrots. Or maybe they just like trolling for reactions.'

:biggrin:

Except that us Brits like to chew the cud over all aspects of brexit, whereas our European brethren tend to concentrate on slagging the UK off endlessly.

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

Except that us Brits like to chew the cud over all aspects of brexit, whereas our European brethren tend to concentrate on slagging the UK off endlessly.

Oh, really? We Europeans still love British people, Monty Python and all the good humour Brits have provided to the world. 

Here, the sweet and sour last song of Monty Python. 

Do wait one minute until the spontaneous encore happens.

25 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Loose translation: 'Except that us Brits tend to concentrate on slagging the EU off endlessly and telling everybody its the EU doing that'.

4 hours ago, oilinki said:

Oh, really? We Europeans still love British people, Monty Python and all the good humour Brits have provided to the world. 

And us Brits love our European brethren. Most of us just don't like the EU, and a lot of the things it stands for. And we don't deserve (or warrant) all the putdowns by people (who aren't honest enough to admit that they are) panicking about money.

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Loose translation: 'Except that us Brits tend to concentrate on slagging the EU off endlessly and telling everybody its the EU doing that'.

I have to say, SheungWan, you used to be quite humorous at times, but you really are sweating the small stuff most of the time these days. Is there some kind of programme to be relentless now that brexit is on the horizon?

10 hours ago, oilinki said:

I love that song

But I always get feelings of great sadness when I hear it and become quite maudlin ?. 

6 hours ago, Khun Han said:

I have to say, SheungWan, you used to be quite humorous at times, but you really are sweating the small stuff most of the time these days. Is there some kind of programme to be relentless now that brexit is on the horizon?

Well put....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_horizon

the edge of a black hole indeed! Long may we never get there ?

6 hours ago, Khun Han said:

He has never got over someone decrying his dress making degree. ?

11 hours ago, Caps said:

I for one do not have an issue with people from the EU already living in the country staying in the UK after Brexit...but under UK law.  If they dont like that and want to stay under EU law then p**s off back to the EU. 

... and the 1 million of more UK expats in Spain, would you like to send them the same message ? 

you know what's even funnier - people like you making statements like this without being able to explain why, owe money to whom how much and why, go for it because you'll be the first, your mate Junker Tusk and Barnier haven't been able too.

Get ready for the UK to walk because that's what happens next

The EEC was great........what went wrong 
The UK went wrong electing Tory austerity government , twice.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

'Ireland that's their problem.....' 

Wrong that's the UK problem too.

Even the unionists have stated that.

Unless you want Northern Ireland to be part of a united Ireland.

3 hours ago, the guest said:

... and the 1 million of more UK expats in Spain, would you like to send them the same message ? 

Yes.

We never (?) hear about emigrants to/from the EU appealing to the ECJ, but I'd be interested to learn about the cases - and the outcome of those cases.

We already know that the ECJ decided that the UK denying state pension inflation increases to pensioners in some (non-EU) countries was acceptable.....

14 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Unfortunately its usually the Hard Brexiteers with chips on their shoulders regarding educational background.

Absolutely right (roll eyes) - it's certainly not a couple of those supporting remain on this forum frequently referring to their  (apparently...)  superior education - or even more frequently referring to those who had the temerity to vote against their superior opinion, as uneducated/ignorant etc. :laugh: .

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes.

We never (?) hear about emigrants to/from the EU appealing to the ECJ, but I'd be interested to learn about the cases - and the outcome of those cases.

We already know that the ECJ decided that the UK denying state pension inflation increases to pensioners in some (non-EU) countries was acceptable.....

What is your source for ECJ denying pension uprating for non EU countries

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Absolutely right (roll eyes) - it's certainly not a couple of those supporting remain on this forum frequently referring to their  (apparently...)  superior education - or even more frequently referring to those who had the temerity to vote against their superior opinion, as uneducated/ignorant etc. :laugh: .

There are some very educated people who voted for Brexit. I am more focussed on some of the more pig-ignorant contributions on the forum.

Just now, SheungWan said:

There are some very educated people who voted for Brexit. I am more focussed on some of the more pig-ignorant contributions on the forum.

Know exactly what you mean.

The latest example (from another thread):-

14 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Don't let lack of an education stop you. Go for it.

4 hours ago, taipeir said:

'Ireland that's their problem.....' 

Wrong that's the UK problem too.

Even the unionists have stated that.

Unless you want Northern Ireland to be part of a united Ireland.

I meant regarding a hard border. The UK, don't actually to build one, if the EU wish to, that is for them to decide.

13 hours ago, the guest said:

Are the ones in Spain living under the EU law!  I doubt very much they are living under UK law.  I wonder why they are living under EU law?  Would it be because they are living in the EU?  

So when Brexit happens then the people living in the UK will NOT be living in the EU they will be living in the UK, so therfore it should be UK law.  Or maybe we should also let all the Chinese living in the UK live by Chinese law and all the Indians live by the rule of law from India and on and on we go.  So yes if they dont like it they can move back to the EU and the same would go the the expats in Spain, but clearly they except they live in the EU so therefore will remain under EU law....strange that isnt it!