A newby pensioner asking for advice

nasanews

12 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

London Museums all free to everyone, went round them all last year.

There is no justification for racism.

How is what I posted Racist?!?

I merely suggested that the "Farang Price" is the normal price but Thais are subsidised so they get a discount & don't need to pay "Full" price.... No different than OAPs or Students being subsidised (am I being ageist now)? 

All I tried to say was that there are 2 ways of looking at this, you can look at it as "Farangs" (of all races) being ripped off or you can look at it as the government trying to help Thais enjoy their country).

Ironically here in Singapore the government charges it's citizens (& SPRs) s$100 to enter a couple of "Attractions" but non-citizens/SPRs can enter for free... Guess they're being racist also.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, LostinSEA said:

All I tried to say was that there are 2 ways of looking at this, you can look at it as "Farangs" (of all races) being ripped off or you can look at it as the government trying to help Thais enjoy their country).

Farang is the Thai word for Caucasian, that's only 1 race.

They use different words for other races.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Farangs are Caucasians, that's only 1 race.

Technically Farang is a term to describe all Europeans, but I think we've gone way OT enough for one day :)

OP: I sort of know what you're going through having retired at 48 & spent 18 months travelling around Australasia & spending 180-200% of my budget pm [I'm back working now, though not for budget reasons] but I honestly can't understand how if you're settled in one place you haven't got yourself into a routine yet.

Would you mind sharing your typical weekly/monthly activities... Or is it just, get pension, drink & scr3w until pension gets low, wait for next pension?

3 hours ago, LostinSEA said:

Technically Farang is a term to describe all Europeans, but I think we've gone way OT enough for one day :)

Technically, it isn't and technically you're wrong.

Plenty of Semites in Europe, they are called 'Kairk' in Thailand.

There are also blacks, they get called 'Nego'

Sure, there are plenty of bar girls who left school at 12 who don't  differentiate, but a language isn't usually defined by a countries prostitutes.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

52 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Technically, it isn't and technically you're wrong.

Plenty of Semites in Europe, they are called 'Kairk' in Thailand.

There are also blacks, they get called 'Nego'

Sure, there are plenty of bar girls who left school at 12 who don't  differentiate, but a language isn't usually defined by a countries prostitutes.

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง  [faràŋ], colloquially [falàŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".[1]

The word farang may have either originated from the Hindi word firangi (Devanāgarī: फिरंगी, "foreign"), a derogatory term for Europeans that was coined during British colonial rule in India, or from the Persian word farang (فرنگ) or farangī (فرنگی), meaning "Frank, European". This in turn comes from the Old French word franc, meaning "Frank", a West Germanic tribe that became a major political power in Western and Central Europe during the early Middle Ages, and from which France derives its name. Because the Frankish Empire ruled a large part of Europe (France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Low Countries) for centuries, all Europeans and even Middle Easterners associated the word "Frank" with Latins who professed the Roman Catholic faith. Frangistan (Persian: فرنگستان‎‎) was a term used by Muslims and Persians in particular, during the Middle Agesand later periods, to refer to Western or Latin Europe.

According to Rashid al-din Fazl Allâh, farang comes from the Arabic word afranj.[5] In Ethiopia faranj means white/European people. In either case, the original word was pronounced paranki (പറങ്കി) in Malayalam, parangiar in Tamil, entered Khmer as barang, and Malay as ferenggi. From there the term spread into China as folangji (佛郎機), which was used to refer to the Portuguese and their breech-loading swivel guns when they first arrived in China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang 

Why you chose to add the comment on Thai Prostitutes who left school at 12 is a bit beyond me... Smoked 1 too many stoogies today maybe :stoner:

8 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

European ancestry= Caucasian

You can't cure stupid!

So all Europeans are Caucasians & all Caucasians are European?

Why not roll another one & get back to complaining about how all the "White Guys" in the UK are hard done by...

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

European ancestry, I'm sorry you can't understand what that means, are you Australian by any chance?

And if I was, wouldn't there be a fair chance that I was of European ancestry?... But no, I'm as British as the day is long 

I take it you're a fellow Brit... How does the saying go... Being born British is to win the lottery of life, being born English is to win it on a roll-over week (OK I MADE THAT UP :P)

Now can we please get back on topic... 

44 minutes ago, LostinSEA said:

The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race".

Three errors in a single sentence.  Is that a record?

(1) The current version of the RID is 2011.  The 1999 version has been superseded.

(2) The dictionary is only in Thai so most certainly doesn't give an English language definition.

(3) The 1999 version includes no such definition.  In fact, all three entries against the word are about plants.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

(1) The current version of the RID is 2011.  The 1999 version has been superseded.

(2) The dictionary is only in Thai so most certainly doesn't give an English language definition.

(3) The 1999 version includes no such definition.  In fact, all three entries against the word are about plants.

Does it have an image of the falang flag?

Falang.png

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

And your point is?

Please share your definition of a Farang... Enlighten us...

3 hours ago, LostinSEA said:

And if I was, wouldn't there be a fair chance that I was of European ancestry?... But no, I'm as British as the day is long 

I take it you're a fellow Brit... How does the saying go... Being born British is to win the lottery of life, being born English is to win it on a roll-over week (OK I MADE THAT UP :P)

Now can we please get back on topic... 

The comment about winning the lottery of life baffles me, when Brits in Britain do nothing but talk about their crappy weather.

Just now, bazza73 said:

The comment about winning the lottery of life baffles me, when Brits in Britain do nothing but talk about their crappy weather.

I always wanted to be Swedish, then the Muslims ruined that little fantasy for me.

Then I wanted to be a New Zealander, but holy crap have you seen the food prices there in the last two years?

Even the attraction of being a Jew in Hollywood has gone.

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

Low blow.

Absolutely... Completely uncalled for 

I'm still laughing my nuts off about the fact that he missed the syllogism in my comment about European=Caucasian ergo Caucasian=European  comment & then chooses to say you can't cure stupid!

I'm just gonna sit back & LMFAO off at the muppett.. hey, it is a pet hobby of mine.

4 minutes ago, Oxx said:

My point is that you are making up nonsense in an attempt to justify your personal prejudices.

I have zero prejudices fella...

Have a nice life...

Edit: Before you reply... Please look at the link I posted, I didn't make up the nonsense & I'm trying to argue against prejudice & the stereotyping that's prevalent in this thread 

Edited by LostinSEA

It is good to see some here happy by comments specially those made by people with sense of humor as for those who argue who what do Thais mean by calling a foreigner who doesn't speak their language a farang.   I would tell them Thais do call non Asians farang! even an Indian would be called a farang if he/she is caught in between it is not just white people.   I am not white and not Indian and they call me farang for the first time two people see me.

As for the advice I'm looking for I can see it with my own eyes in Thai people, many live on minim 300 baht daily income they always smile and spend their last penny, many even in debt.

Really amazing people.

13 hours ago, LostinSEA said:

It's a Joke (<deleted> Get a sense of humour) 

Mine was a joke too, which obviously went straight through to the wicketkeeper. Don't worry, happens a lot to English batsmen when they are facing Australian fast bowlers.

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Mine was a joke too, which obviously went straight through to the wicketkeeper. Don't worry, happens a lot to English batsmen when they are facing Australian fast bowlers.

Sorry too many Aussie XXXX last night (OK so I was actually on the Pure Blonde... a lovely tipple :wink:).

Peace Bro :)

On 10/20/2017 at 11:49 AM, duanebigsby said:

Condescending to say the least!

The vast majority of people work well past 60.

To suggest he could have worked harder or been more successful that he could have retired before age 40, too bloody arrogant. Many people work incredibly hard all their lives and find it doesn't always translate into financial success. I'm glad for your success in life, but quit looking down your nose at people. Pompous ass.

I agree Mate, what a complete Tossa !