A newby pensioner asking for advice

nasanews

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I am an early retiree stuck in LOS but after almost two years I find it hard to adjust financially and scheduling my week, also I am a playboy.

Appreciate your inputs."

Are you really expecting useful feedback? Your one sentence summary of your issues has no specific information in it that we can comment on. 

7 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Are you really asking for advice?  Well here it is.  Unretire yourself, go back home, make some money, and after you've better prepared yourself, re-retire for a more blissful existence.  You can thank me later.

Exactly. So many guys here get hooked on the drug pussy and forget they need to feed themselves.

Most of us worked hard and now we are enjoying ourselves.

I for one am still working and I turn 60 next week.

Get a grip on yourself man.

21 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

I for one am still working and I turn 60 next week.

Not really sure that's something to boast about.  If you'd had a more successful life you could have retired a decade or two earlier and enjoyed the fruits of your labour or enterprise.

Your're also possibly being selfish, blocking jobs that a younger generation so desperately needs.

8 hours ago, mstevens said:

What do you mean by "adjust financially"?  Are you saying you find it expensive, or can you not control yourself when it comes to spending on your playboy lifestyle?  A clearer question would be easier to answer.

Yes I cannot control my self if that answers your question, I always end up short on money at the end of the month.

4 minutes ago, nasanews said:

Yes I cannot control my self if that answers your question, I always end up short on money at the end of the month.

So if you cannot control yourself why ask the original question asking for advice......the response is that only you can answer and solve your lack of self control.

There you go........solved.

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

So if you cannot control yourself why ask the original question asking for advice......the response is that only you can answer and solve your lack of self control.

There you go........solved.

Some Thai people specially women call me crazy.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Not really sure that's something to boast about.  If you'd had a more successful life you could have retired a decade or two earlier and enjoyed the fruits of your labour or enterprise.

Your're also possibly being selfish, blocking jobs that a younger generation so desperately needs.

Condescending to say the least!

The vast majority of people work well past 60.

To suggest he could have worked harder or been more successful that he could have retired before age 40, too bloody arrogant. Many people work incredibly hard all their lives and find it doesn't always translate into financial success. I'm glad for your success in life, but quit looking down your nose at people. Pompous ass.

I understand your feelings as I was in that self same situation too.

I returned back home after two years of struggling.

The advice to not live like a tourist, is hard to do when all the Thai folks seem to treat us like we are either rich or tourists.

21 hours ago, nasanews said:

...I find it hard to adjust financially and scheduling my week, also I am a playboy.

Appreciate your inputs.

I've also been here on early retirement, and also had lots of fun time in soi sanuks, so I understand you, and need for scheduling. We have a Danish impression, "sæt tæring efter næring", which probably best can be translated as "learn to nourish the nourishment"; i.e. don't spend more money than you earn; or can afford to use from your savings...:thumbsup:

Not mentioning details about your financial budget – which indeed is privacy for us farengs – it's a question of life-style; and definition of "playboy". Some can manage a kind of, or level of, playboy life-style for about 3,000 baht a day, or around a million baht a year, whilst others may need at least 10-fold of that to be "playboy"...:whistling:

My best "input" will be:

Make a sanuk-budget, could be every second day, or a number of days a month, living as "playboy". Buy some exciting thick books to read the other days, or combine with cinema trips (cheap compared to playboy-style) or the like; alternatively you can begin posting comments in ThaiVisa news section, that will also keep you well occupied...:smile:

Just now, Slain said:

The advice to not live like a tourist, is hard to do when all the Thai folks seem to treat us like we are either rich or tourists.

The problem are the tourists.  I'm not really blaming them, because they can't be expected to know the value of everything, but they are the problem.  They go everywhere and splash their cash, tip where tipping is not part of the culture, overpay for pretty much everything, and it makes it harder for the rest of us who want to live here and pay the same as Thais.  If you are farang then you have a lot of money; this is their mindset.  The Thai government doesn't help either with it's dual-pricing structures all over the country.  It is a battle to pay the same as a Thai and you have to walk away from a lot of encounters and waste a lot of time if you want to stick to your principles.  At the same time you have to remain cool.  It's not for everybody.

Sometimes it's just impossible.   If I want to go to an island like Koh Libong, Koh Mook, I cannot get the Thai rate, and there is no other way there, I cannot swim 4km with bags.  So I have to pay double.  Whenever I see a suggestion box (tip boxes work as well) at one of these places I will write on the paper why I think it is wrong that they surcharge foreigners, maybe it goes straight in the bin, but at least I tried.

I do live as close as I can to how a Thai would.  I try to eat the same foods and buy from the local places.  I like the food a lot, I didn't come to Thailand to eat roast beef dinners, pies and fish and chips.  But it's a real challenge to be accepted even doing simple things like buying streetfood or food from fresh markets.  It's a chore having to deal with vendors who are almost scared of you (because they are shy of engaging with foreigners) even when I can speak half-decent Thai.  It's a chore having to explain to them everytime that yes I can eat it and no that it isn't too spicy.  It's a chore having to only buy from places where the price is clearly displayed, because buying where it isn't displayed leaves you open to paying the farang price.  And it drains you day after day to the point where you just end up doing your shopping at Lotus and Big C.  Then all you have to contend with is the cashier not giving you the stamps purely because you have a white face.  I want my free promotional kettle goddammit!

I think if you want to live as a Thai would, time helps.  You understand their way of doing things more.  But also you have to learn to speak Thai as well.  So many older foreigners don't bother to do this and it restricts them in so many ways everyday, so that they're only left with the farang way of doing things which is often overpriced or run by opportunists who are after the contents of your wallet.   If you can't speak their language you can't integrate.  If you can't integrate you are an outsider and will be more likely to be treated as such.

Although this is the Pub section of the Forum and things are a lot less moderated in here, the Forum Rules still apply.

Members flaming other members will not be tolerated.

From the rules:

Posting Content & General Conduct

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

You see when I get my decent pension at the beginning of every month I enjoy my self going out dating girls buying them drinks never thinking then next night I see a sexy lady then my self tells me to go for it.

After twenty days in the month I start to realize that I over enjoyed my self and I have to ask for outside help from relatives whom have warned me a lot and good old friends, I know it is a shame to ask people for money but this the point of my post I want as some said to grow up and act like a man lol.

I need some advice on how spend my week on a daily basis like farang people do, they live here for many years enjoying their lives on their pension.

p.s playboy to me means changing girls.

Edited by nasanews
ADDED

18 hours ago, Oxx said:

Actually, it probably would.  I don't know his nationality, but if he were British, (a) his state pension (when eventually he receives it) would be inflation linked, (b) he wouldn't be subject to exchange rate fluctuations on his pension income, (c) all his medical costs would be covered by the state.  Other nationalities have similar advantages.

Yes of course but he is an early retiree and his problem is now.  He needs to go home and get a job.

13 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

The Thai government doesn't help either with it's dual-pricing structures all over the country.  It is a battle to pay the same as a Thai and you have to walk away from a lot of encounters and waste a lot of time if you want to stick to your principles.  At the same time you have to remain cool.  It's not for everybody.

Sometimes it's just impossible.   If I want to go to an island like Koh Libong, Koh Mook, I cannot get the Thai rate, and there is no other way there, I cannot swim 4km with bags.  So I have to pay double.  Whenever I see a suggestion box (tip boxes work as well) at one of these places I will write on the paper why I think it is wrong that they surcharge foreigners, maybe it goes straight in the bin, but at least I tried.

I've always been led to believe that it's not a case of Farangs having to pay more, but Thai's are subsidised so they have to pay less [To me there is a big difference, one way of looking at it is that you/we are being ripped off, the other way of looking at it is that you/we are paying a fair price but the Government is helping Thai's to enjoy the same thing by giving them a discount - end of the day if the price is worth it to you/us to enjoy the activity then it's a fair price].

I'm sure the same thing happens in other countries (Seem to recall Uk citizens can visit places like the London Museum free on certain day(s) of the week - apologies if this is no longer the case, it's been 12-13 years since I've been there).

44 minutes ago, LostinSEA said:

I'm sure the same thing happens in other countries (Seem to recall Uk citizens can visit places like the London Museum free on certain day(s) of the week - apologies if this is no longer the case, it's been 12-13 years since I've been there).

London Museums all free to everyone, went round them all last year.

There is no justification for racism.

Edited by MaeJoMTB