30 Baht healthcare experiences

wildwildbill

17 minutes ago, sandyf said:

When it comes to low cost care they seem to be very strict on residence. When I went to the Chonburi hospital for my free flu jab many were being turned away because they did not live in the Mueang area. Its the same with the mobile health clinic.

It's due to people traveling to a better hospital outside of where they live and overloading their facilities. To use the 30 baht scheme you have to reside and be registered at the hospital which is associated to the address in ones blue book. They know the rules.

Edited by sinbin

I think you can use the 30Bhatt scheme if you are thai national at other hospitals but you need a letter of referral, not so difficult to get if you are friendly with your local hospital

Also remember free dental also on 30bhat scheme , it was not very long before I knew more about the 30 bhat scheme than my wife

Yes, except in an emergency, care under the 30 baht scheme is limited to the hospital one is registered at (which in turn is based on where you are listed in a tabian ban) or a higher level facility they refer you to.

The problem many Thais have is that they live  in an altogether different province from where they are listed in a tabian ban. It is possible to change tabian ban listing but does involve several steps/red tape.

Same story for people covered under Social Security scheme though they often have a choice of which hospital to register at.

8 hours ago, Smokemachine said:

The 30 baht scheme for the Thais is available only when they go to the hospital in their own residence province? 

If their tabien baan is stated at pattaya province. They can't use the 30 baht scheme in Bangkok. Is the policy still the same currently?

Yes, See above post. Exception would be in case of emergency, or if the hospital they are registered at referred them to a hospital in Bangkok, which they will do only if the needed care cannto be obtained locally.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I have dual citizenships, one of which is Thai, therefore I'm eligible for 30 Baht medical scheme and I've been using it at Chula hospital since its inception for prescription of an expensive synthetic hormone (among others).  

Before that, I used to go to Bumrubgrad and I still go there.  Despite all the hearsay I hear about the poor quality of medical care under 30 Baht scheme my personal experience at Chula is anything but excellent, if not superior to Bumrungrad.  And it might depend on which hospital they assign you to depending on the address on your Tabien Baan (unlike medical under social insurance you can't choose).   However it's not without a glitch.  You can't go there for simple cold or tummyache.  For that they assigned me a public clinic called "Center 16" (ศูนย์ 16) near the old Lumpini Stadium in the low-income neighborhood of Bong Kai.  It's only when you have a condition beyond their capacity (I have a feeling most ailments are) they refer you to a real hospital like Chula.  And you have to go there to get that referral renewed annually.  

I also have to go to Chula twice each time for one doctor appointment to get the medication I need.  That's because unlike Bumrungrad result of my blood test does not show up before noon, the time my outpatient clinic closes (endocrinology for me, might depend on the clinic and department).  So I have to come back on another date to see my doctor, who wouldn't prescribe me the medication without checking my electrocyte.  As for Bumrungrad they didn't require me the same blood test at all, despite it actually being necessary.  In the U.S. many patients who receive the same medication under private medical coverage receive generic medicine but I only ever had brand name medication prescribed both at Bumrungrad and Chula under 30 Baht thingy.  

Now my question is my parent, who doesn't have Thai citizenship but longtime permanent resident of Thailand had recently had a "gold card" for 30 baht medical scheme sent to her.  Is a permanent resident who therefore doesn't have a Thai citizenship eligible for 30 Baht medical at all?  Has the topic been done or should I start another fresh new thread for that?  

Edited by Nordlys

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No, permanent residents are nto eligible, only citizens.

Hi, Thanks Sheryl.  That's my understanding too but what do you think they sent her one for when she doesn't and never had a Thai citizenship?  Do other permanent resident receive "gold card" only to be turned away at the hospital they've been assigned to?  

Edited by Nordlys

1 hour ago, Nordlys said:

Hi, Thanks Sheryl.  That's my understanding too but what do you think they sent her one for when she doesn't and never had a Thai citizenship?  Do other permanent resident receive "gold card" only to be turned away at the hospital they've been assigned to?  

Most permanent residents never receive a "gold card", even if they aks for one

Actually this is the first tiem I have heard of someone just being snet a card unasked.

Experience with people who were enrolled in 30 baht scheme even though not  eligible has been that it often works at the facility that enrolled them but will be caught out if they are referred to a higher level of care. For sure, facilities like Chula are well aware of who is and is not eligible.  But staff at lower level facilities sometimes do not know.

• Like 1

I have to admit I haven't seen her "gold card" myself but she claims to have received it when she received the same for all her three children who were born Thais, myself included (my house registration under her address). So it wasn't sent out to her recently like I said earlier but soon after the health scheme's inception.

What do you mean by "higher level of care"?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Higher level of care = when the hospital where she is primarily registered is unable to provide what she needs and has to refer her to a more advanced facility. How often that hsppens depends on the capabilities of the primary facility. In some very basic community hospitals pretty much everything but simple colds, flus, cuts and the like need to be referred. In larger hospitals only more specialized things need referral.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 20/10/2017 at 11:58 PM, jimn said:

Please dont scaremonger and make incorrect statements. It is actually 6 months out of the UK and that is if they acually know you are out of the country and you are not maintaining a UK address and not still be registered with a doctor.

Yes, NHS care is residency based. One merely needs to demonstarte intent to resume residency.

Not so if you are from the UK.  NHS England will not deny you emergency treatment but if you have been out of the UK for more than three months you will be given a bill for the treatment and classed as an Overseas Visitor.   Non emergency treatment is available after waiting three months.  Not a problem currently as waiting times in UK for non emergency are generally much longer than three months. 

Out of the country for more than 3 months? my UK doctor gives me a 6 month prescription every year, as I spend 6 months in Thailand every year. He never mentioned me being an overseas visitor.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app