Top Bangkok Bars

makavelli

Thanks for all the information.

I am there for 2 nights on a Wednesday and Thursday so going to go to Q bar, Bed Supper club, and a few others.

The only problem is thought I dont want to have to jump in a taxi to go to another high rated bar. Is there not a certain place or Soi in Bangkok that caters for the higher end bar/club.

I am not going to go to the nana cause cant be bothered with go-go's.

I am staying on Sukhumvit Soi 5

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am there for 2 nights on a Wednesday and Thursday so going to go to Q bar, Bed Supper club, and a few others.

The only problem is thought I dont want to have to jump in a taxi to go to another high rated bar. Is there not a certain place or Soi in Bangkok that caters for the higher end bar/club.

A lot of bars/clubs start out high-end for the first 3 months and then go low-end when the hi-so punters move on and the freelancers/freelancer worshippers find out about it. The only one I can think of that's stayed high end is Met Bar, and that's because it's the only members-only/door policy bar in the city. Added to that it's still friendly and fun. 87 went down, Mystique was a good club but closed, Hu'u is too quiet, Koi is good for a pre-club drink (dress up), Syn at Nai Lert is dead, Qbar now home to the above clientele, Bed can still be good on some nights. Other than that, go Thai and head to Thonglor if you're young, Astra or Flix at RCA or Ratchada (The Resort, White House) if you're older and want to look at expensive white women in a Thai businessman's environment. Middle of the road must be Zantika on Ekamai (if you can handle the music).

My take on this: a lot of clubs and restaurants in Bkk (and other cities) believe that they can bank on the initial success forever. Lack of solid business plan, marketing plan and a long-term business strategy will eventually close the hippest and most urban f and b outlet.

Add that some places are funded with dad’s dosh and the owner doesn’t give a rat’s ass if the place goes bust or not.

I also believe that chain five-star hotel bars in South East Asia has lost its appeal a long time ago.

A lot of bars/clubs start out high-end for the first 3 months and then go low-end when the hi-so punters move on and the freelancers/freelancer worshippers find out about it. The only one I can think of that's stayed high end is Met Bar, and that's because it's the only members-only/door policy bar in the city. Added to that it's still friendly and fun. 87 went down, Mystique was a good club but closed, Hu'u is too quiet, Koi is good for a pre-club drink (dress up), Syn at Nai Lert is dead, Qbar now home to the above clientele, Bed can still be good on some nights. Other than that, go Thai and head to Thonglor if you're young, Astra or Flix at RCA or Ratchada (The Resort, White House) if you're older and want to look at expensive white women in a Thai businessman's environment. Middle of the road must be Zantika on Ekamai (if you can handle the music).

The best bar in Bangkok is the one that I am in at that moment. :D Just joking!

There are just too many bars, but a short list is below for the visitors. Old hands will keep their own hot spots to themselves for sure.

Gullivers: huge, air conditioned bar with a large range of reasonably priced drinks and good western food too. Great for watching sport on the big screen. Sukhumvit Soi 5 (Nana BTS) and Khao San Road – at the end where the temple is.

The Bulls’s Head: very authentic British style pub, with real ale and Guinness on tap. On the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 33/1. BTS Asoke.Bring friends.

The Cat House: located inside the Nana Plaza, which may put some people off, but this non-go go bar has a happy hour from 4pm until 8pm in which you can drink as much beer as you like for 150 Baht. Sukhumvit Soi 4, BTS Nana.

The Bus Stop Bar: a good escape from the chaos of the nearby Nana Plaza, this ‘clean’ bar has a large open-air seating area and a good mix of Thai and expat customers.

Cheap Charlies: as the name suggests, the main selling point of this place is the cheap beer! Little more than a wooden bar on the Soi with tables and chairs in front of it, this place gets surprisingly busy. Sukhumvit Soi 11, BTS Nana.

The Dubliner: lively, bustling Irish style pub with regular live music. Expat crowd, not the kind of place for a quiet drink but great for a dance and a few pints of Guinness. Sukhumvit Road in between Soi 22 and 24. BTS Phrom Phong.

Titanium Vodka Bar: cool vodka bar – literally! Features a room with sub-zero temperatures in which shots of Russian vodka are sold and knocked back very quickly before returning to the relative warmth of the air con in the main bar. Sukhumvit Soi 22, BTS Phrom Phong.

The Irish Exchange: large pub on two floors with copious amounts of Guinness flowing and other beers on tap. Predominantly an expat crowd, a friendly bunch at that, and has regular live music and good food. Convent Road, off Silom Road. BTS Sala Daeng.

Home: house music and a good cocktail bar bring in a mixed crowd to this trendy Silom bar. Silom Soi 4, BTS Sala Daeng.

Vertigo: great place to go for unprecedented views over the city, Vertigo at the top of the 5-star Banyan Tree hotel comes at a price but is well worth it.

Lava: one of the more poplar Khao San Road bars, this funky place plays mainly mainstream R&B and hip-hop. Typically of Khao San, the crowd is mainly tourists with a few groups of Thais joining the dance floor.

Suzie’s: popular with Thais, this long-running Khao San Road pub is well worth including on your Khao San pub crawl. Located down a small covered lane towards the ‘Burger King end’ of the street.

Saxophone: well worth seeking out for the excellent live music, this buzzing place is situated right by the Victory Monument.

Ad Maker: located in the Langsuan area, the mixed Thai and western crowd here make for a lively atmosphere to accompany the regular live music.

:o

The best bar in Bangkok is the one that I am in at that moment. :D Just joking!

There are just too many bars, but a short list is below for the visitors. Old hands will keep their own hot spots to themselves for sure.

Gullivers: huge, air conditioned bar with a large range of reasonably priced drinks and good western food too. Great for watching sport on the big screen. Sukhumvit Soi 5 (Nana BTS) and Khao San Road – at the end where the temple is.

The Bulls’s Head: very authentic British style pub, with real ale and Guinness on tap. On the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 33/1. BTS Asoke.Bring friends.

The Cat House: located inside the Nana Plaza, which may put some people off, but this non-go go bar has a happy hour from 4pm until 8pm in which you can drink as much beer as you like for 150 Baht. Sukhumvit Soi 4, BTS Nana.

The Bus Stop Bar: a good escape from the chaos of the nearby Nana Plaza, this ‘clean’ bar has a large open-air seating area and a good mix of Thai and expat customers.

Cheap Charlies: as the name suggests, the main selling point of this place is the cheap beer! Little more than a wooden bar on the Soi with tables and chairs in front of it, this place gets surprisingly busy. Sukhumvit Soi 11, BTS Nana.

The Dubliner: lively, bustling Irish style pub with regular live music. Expat crowd, not the kind of place for a quiet drink but great for a dance and a few pints of Guinness. Sukhumvit Road in between Soi 22 and 24. BTS Phrom Phong.

Titanium Vodka Bar: cool vodka bar – literally! Features a room with sub-zero temperatures in which shots of Russian vodka are sold and knocked back very quickly before returning to the relative warmth of the air con in the main bar. Sukhumvit Soi 22, BTS Phrom Phong.

The Irish Exchange: large pub on two floors with copious amounts of Guinness flowing and other beers on tap. Predominantly an expat crowd, a friendly bunch at that, and has regular live music and good food. Convent Road, off Silom Road. BTS Sala Daeng.

Home: house music and a good cocktail bar bring in a mixed crowd to this trendy Silom bar. Silom Soi 4, BTS Sala Daeng.

Vertigo: great place to go for unprecedented views over the city, Vertigo at the top of the 5-star Banyan Tree hotel comes at a price but is well worth it.

Lava: one of the more poplar Khao San Road bars, this funky place plays mainly mainstream R&B and hip-hop. Typically of Khao San, the crowd is mainly tourists with a few groups of Thais joining the dance floor.

Suzie’s: popular with Thais, this long-running Khao San Road pub is well worth including on your Khao San pub crawl. Located down a small covered lane towards the ‘Burger King end’ of the street.

Saxophone: well worth seeking out for the excellent live music, this buzzing place is situated right by the Victory Monument.

Ad Maker: located in the Langsuan area, the mixed Thai and western crowd here make for a lively atmosphere to accompany the regular live music.

Ah, thought I recognised that article (from here), so do you like the 1Stop Bangkok site then?

... The Bus Stop Bar: a good escape from the chaos of the nearby Nana Plaza, this ‘clean’ bar has a large open-air seating area and a good mix of Thai and expat customers. ...
An open air beer garden, recently renovated with a second story, lush and walled off from the street. Good place for a pre-drink, excellent food.

Management prohibits free-lancing and rowdyness so nice place to bring a date to start out the evening.

Edited by cobra

• 1 month later...
The Q bar and Bed are right outside my condo door. both places are hopelessly lame. I'd rather get hit by a Mack Truck than listen to offensive hip hop trash. Try Woodstock

Yeah! Empty expensive burge joints in Thong Lo rock! You've got your inger on the pulse, dude.

Used to enjoy a few in Woodstock when it was in Nana, tried the new place once and that was enough. Bobby's Arms also deserted.

What's Jools like now with the new regime?

Sorry, perhaps i should have started an old gits thread.

What's the deal with the Champagne Bar right there on Sukhumvit not far from soi 4? Anyone ventured inside. The website is rather lame and doesn't provide much info. Are there nice looking hostesses or must one bring their own..in which case what do you get for the daily/nightly membership?

I have been told I should go to RCA, anyone been there or know anything about it?

Apparently it is a good place to go partying.

Thai University students and the recently graduated with jobs.

RAZZ

Go to Carnival in Nana & ride the bull when your pissed. Only been there a couple of times but I never got hassled for drinks ect. Almost made it for the whole minute without falling off too, it was some of my sharpest drunken work!

If you lot don't think thats fun your not living!

Go to Carnival in Nana & ride the bull when your pissed. Only been there a couple of times but I never got hassled for drinks ect. Almost made it for the whole minute without falling off too, it was some of my sharpest drunken work!

If you lot don't think thats fun your not living!

That brings back a memory of a very cliched stag party I attended a few months ago. My "greatest ever acheivement" was cemented that night: being pissed right up but managing to ride out the mechanical bull for the full duration on my first ever go, while the two girls (professional mechanical bull handlers) removed my clothing and then got thrown off. (I'm not a particularly high achiever....I know)

My arms and thighs ached for about a week afterwards. Now I know why those two hosts in short skirts had such bloody well toned legs - all that riding IS good for you.

Heading to Bangkok in the Summer and spending a few nights in Bangkok. Was there last Summer and had a couple of visits to the Q bar, it was good. Does anyone know of any other "Top" rated bars in Bangkok like Q bar?

Try Jool's bar on Soi Nana. Its full of edgy expats from the warzones and blasted lands with tales to tell! :o

Its a proper boozers bar so make sure you're up for some serious drinking :D

Thanks for the replies.

What is Soi 33 like for a few drinks?

Does RCA have aload of bars and not just clubs?

I really want to stay away from the Nana to be honest, rather hit some of the other "Zones" I dont really know.

What is Thonglor?

Also what is Siam Road like for bars?

Obviously I wont be heading into deepest darkest Patpong but there must be some good bars along Siam Road without having to go into Patpong market area!

Thanks

wheres all the fun places near thong lo ? live there but havent seen any clubs, need some info!

- just did some searching on google.. lots of clubs @ suk. soi 55 (thong lo area) anyone recommend stuff?

Santika(zantika)in the ekamai area is an ok club although the music is not very good ( over played pop. music ) but worth checking out.

Edited by cooL_guY_corY

Wouldn't said they where good bars in rca more clubby places where all the young thai's tend to go but it's alright me and the missus have been there a few times it's as close to the bigg market as you'll get in bangkok but every where shuts early in Bangkok now 12 bells i think(1200) now so dont expect a late one and if you want a carry out for the hotel room in the afternoon forget it to went to tesco express in radtaborrok sorry about the spelling they cant serve drink till 1700hr just if you and the missus wanted a couple of drinks before you went out.We stayed in maxx hotel its just at the end of the soi rca

Kerrs

Thanks for the replies.

What is Soi 33 like for a few drinks?

Does RCA have aload of bars and not just clubs?

I really want to stay away from the Nana to be honest, rather hit some of the other "Zones" I dont really know.

What is Thonglor?

Also what is Siam Road like for bars?

Obviously I wont be heading into deepest darkest Patpong but there must be some good bars along Siam Road without having to go into Patpong market area!

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommened some good bars to go in Thonglor?

I have read that this part (Thonglor) is the more upper class part of Bangkok to go for a few drinks and a nice restaurant.

Am I correct?

Cheers everyone for their replies.

Anna's Garden (not far from Sukhumvit) is a garden restaurant with a bar in the back.

Ice Bar, pretty much opposite Anna's Garden is a newly opened bar with live music.

At the other end you've got a collection of bars near the klong. Jazz bar, Ashley's rumour etc.

Witches Tavern is an expat oriented bar about half way down the soi. Has live music, ladies night every Wednesday etc.

If you go down a small soi connecting Thong Lor to Ekamai (I think it's Soi 21) you will find a few small arty bars which are pretty popular mainly with young Thais.

Can't think of any more of the top of my head.

To digress a bit, might I ask the average age for the clubbing scene in Bangkok?

I've been to Bangkok many times over and into the clubs with no worry for Age Restriction. However, my girlfriend's younger sister is joining us on this trip and she's only 19.

The age restrictions for Bed Supper Club or Q Bar is stated as 20+ on their website.

I'll appreciate any recommendations for a club that a 19yr old would have access to.

Thank you,

Ritz

To digress a bit, might I ask the average age for the clubbing scene in Bangkok?

I've been to Bangkok many times over and into the clubs with no worry for Age Restriction. However, my girlfriend's younger sister is joining us on this trip and she's only 19.

The age restrictions for Bed Supper Club or Q Bar is stated as 20+ on their website.

I'll appreciate any recommendations for a club that a 19yr old would have access to.

Thank you,

Ritz

Qbar don't tend to ask for ID. Ana's Garden, Santika don't. Most others do.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of decent bars in Soi 33 Harry's Bar & Grill next to Green parrot has darts pool and fantastic Hamburgers no hassle hostesses but can be persuaded to show you the upstairs rooms, I also like Powellys (used to be CK's) good sports coverage and again hassle free girls.

Aviod the "artists" bars like the plague over priced surly service cute girls though but expensuve

Yep - same situation, here. I meet up with a friend every year (10 years now) and we stay at a hotel in soi 8 (not far from Nana Station). Used to be a ton of bars all over the place, stretching up to the Cowboy area. Now they're all gone (where to?) and Nana is just a tranny paradise (was the last time we met up) and definitely BORING :D We stayed for one drink and left the area. Too, used to be hordes of people out on the Sukhumvit sidewalk from Asoke to past Cowboy - beer, drinks at small tables along the road, chatting to unknowns, laughing and having fun. where they all gone ? Seems all that's left is Cowboy (which is still great) and some bars in a complex up soi 21. Meeting up with the friend again in 2 months time and he's asking where the action is. Where are there any good beer-bars & ordinary (not hi-so) clubs/agog-go's around the the soi 4 to soi 26 area?? :o

As far as Night Clubs go…These are the places I and many of my friends have had fun hanging out for a ‘normal night out’ as we would do back at home.

Mostly we get no extra attention, and are treated no differently from anyone else and do our best just to mix in and enjoy ourselves…Many a good night has been had.

I’ve thrown age ranges in to give an idea (just my observation, may not be correct in the eyes of others).

Not in Any Particular Order:

1) Slim RCA: 99% Thai. 3 sections (Hip hop – Thai Band – dance/house) Ages: 20-30yrs.

2) Route RCA: 99% Thai. 2 sections (Hip hop – Thai Band) Ages: 20-25 yrs.

3) Astra RCA: 50% Thai. Good with special events (Ranging): Ages: 20 - 35 yrs.

4) Prob Bar RCA: 99% Thai. Good (ranges of pop music): Ages: 20-35 yrs

5) Escudo Thonglor: 99% Thai. (Hip hop) Ages: 23-33 yrs.

6) Song Salueng Thonglor: 99% Thai (range – hip hop to live band) very crowded: Age: 20-30 yrs.

7) Santika, Ekammai: 80% Thai (range – hip hop to dance – live band) Age: 25-35 yrs.

8) Nanglen Ekammai: 99.9% thai (hip hop) 20-30 yrs (need passport).

9) Escobar (next to Nanglen) 99.9% Thai (hip hop) 25-35 yrs (need passport).

10) Booze, Thonglor 10. 98% Thai (range – hip hop to dance – live band) Age: 20-35yrs.

11) Jet, Thonglor 10. 99% Thai (hip hop to live band) Age 25-35yrs.

12) Q Bar: 60% International Thai (Range – dance) Age 25 – 40 yrs.

13) Bed: 50% Thai (Range) Age 25 – 40 yrs.

14) Inch Ratchada Soi 8: 99% Thai (hip hop – band) Age 20-30 yrs.

15) Tapas Silom: 40% International Thai (dance, latin) Age 25 – 40 yrs.

16) Met bar: Intenational crowd. Firday night disco !! Age 25 – 35 yrs

As far as Night Clubs go…These are the places I and many of my friends have had fun hanging out for a ‘normal night out’ as we would do back at home.

Mostly we get no extra attention, and are treated no differently from anyone else and do our best just to mix in and enjoy ourselves…Many a good night has been had.

I’ve thrown age ranges in to give an idea (just my observation, may not be correct in the eyes of others).

1) Slim RCA: 99% Thai. 3 sections (Hip hop – Thai Band – dance/house) Ages: 20-30yrs.

6) Song Salueng Thonglor: 99% Thai (range – hip hop to live band) very crowded: Age: 20-30 yrs.

7) Santika, Ekammai: 80% Thai (range – hip hop to dance – live band) Age: 25-35 yrs.

10) Booze, Thonglor 10. 98% Thai (range – hip hop to dance – live band) Age: 20-35yrs.

Hi there.

Thanks for the informative post.

Just to confirm do your %'s relate to the people or the music? i.e. 99% thai people or 99% thai hip-hop as opposed to 99% english language music?

Thanks

Hi there.

Thanks for the informative post.

Just to confirm do your %'s relate to the people or the music? i.e. 99% thai people or 99% thai hip-hop as opposed to 99% english language music?

Thanks

The %tages are an attempt to give a very rough estimate of the people there.

As far as music goes, for an inexplicable reason all the popular places play mainstream pop hip hop (if that makes sense).

The only explanation that I can hazard a guess at for this is that this is what the girls can dance to, easy rhythm, easy dancing, the guys just follow – that’s my theory anyway.

The popular thing to do in these places is buy a bottle of whiskey for the table and mix with coke, soda, ice etc (normally 1000-2000 Baht in the more Thai places to 3500 in the places more frequented by foreigners – i.e. Bed, Qbar). Whiskey keeps usually for 3 months, and if at the end of the night its not finished it can be handed in for a receipt / ticket and consumed another time. This seems better than bloating up on beer and is also easier on the pocket when in a group.

As whiskey is the drink of choice for most Thai’s in clubs, it cheaper there, i.e. Johnny Walker red or Black label being the most common, however in places attracting more foreigners the whiskey at 2500 to 3500 per bottle is a similar price to other spirits such as Gin and vodka etc.

A late night Club called ‘The Tunnel’ on Langsuan Soi 5 is also popular, but it’s a gamble when and how late its going to be open (sometimes 2 sometimes 5am). The last two times I have gone there it was closed, a friend told me its operating again now.

These are some GREAT lists for clubs. I enjoy Escobar alot, they place tight house music during the weekdays and even though its a bit small, the vodka bottle prices are great. only 1000 for a bottle of vodka. I haven't been to Q bar , is it a bar or a club? Anybody been at FLIX lately on RCA? Is it packed during weekdays? Mostly play house music right?