5 new Highway 7 toll booths open Jan. 5

Rimmer

5 new Highway 7 toll booths open Jan. 5

1264-n8-Pay.jpg

Pattaya:--Highway 7 will start collecting tolls in the Pattaya area Jan. 5, with current rates increasing to as much as 245 baht after Songkran.

Manit Praisalee, head of the Special Highway Department, said Oct. 9 that the final work at the new toll booths is underway and their “soft opening” will occur Jan. 5.

The five new toll booths on the Bangkok-Chonburi motorway were supposed to have been completed in August. They are located in Ban Bung, Bangpra, Nongkham, Pong, and Pattaya.

Rates will be one baht per kilometer driven, with the cost from Pattaya to Chonburi remaining 60 baht until April 18, when the toll will jump to 105 baht for cars, 170 baht for six-wheeled vehicles and 245 baht for 10-wheel trucks.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-10-20

3 minutes ago, quandow said:

The very definition of highway robbery!

Is it mandatory quandow...??... I take it Motor bikes still can not use the toll roads..

Edited by oxo1947

46 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Is it mandatory quandow...??... I take it Motor bikes still can not use the toll roads..

You can take Frontage Road, but it's a pain for motorbikes. Going TO Chonburi from Pattaya you can't get to Frontage Road without going through a convoluted path across from Regent's Int'l, and coming FROM Chonburi to Pattaya, Frontage Road dies and you have to take an exit nearing Pattaya (I can't remember the name) then backtrack. They didn't plan this with motorbikes in mind. And yes, motorbikes aren't allowed on 7 at all.

Edited by quandow
Added last sentence.

I never pay attention when on the bus or taxi from BKK to Pattaya.  I recall 3 toll stops?  Does this 5 new mean there will now be 8 stops?  Or are some of the new 5 replacing some of the old existing ones?  If 7 or 8 stops, goodness. That reminds me of trying to drive around the Chicago area.  Seemed like stopped every 10 miles on the highway.  There were federal toll booths, local city toll booths, etc.

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I never pay attention when on the bus or taxi from BKK to Pattaya.  I recall 3 toll stops?  Does this 5 new mean there will now be 8 stops?  Or are some of the new 5 replacing some of the old existing ones?  If 7 or 8 stops, goodness. That reminds me of trying to drive around the Chicago area.  Seemed like stopped every 10 miles on the highway.  There were federal toll booths, local city toll booths, etc.

I'm still not sure of the final layout but I think the 5 new tolls will be one on each of the feeder roads to different towns/locations so most likely will only add one to your journey from BKK to your destination. If you're unlucky it might be two.

the middle one before chonburi will be removed, as the whole system is 'closed' means you take a card and pay at your exit, meaning you'll only encounter only 2 toll booths, ideally the congestion at the middle toll booth will be alleviated since further traffic to Rayong and such will have their separate exit booths to us that use Pattaya

1 hour ago, USPatriot said:

Taking the side roads    the tolls are nothing but a scam. Arizona has no toll booths and has some of the best roads in America.

They do have different ways of collecting 'road tax' in different countries. A lot of the tollways here, I believe, are built by companies not by the government so they get their money back by charging fees.

3 hours ago, USPatriot said:

Taking the side roads    the tolls are nothing but a scam. Arizona has no toll booths and has some of the best roads in America.

haha.  An old Mad magazine cartoon.  The big guy stopped his car at the toll booth and tells the attendant, "I know for a fact that this road was paid for long ago and there is plenty of money leftover for maintenance, so why is this booth here?"  And the booth guy says, "to keep me employed"

On 10/26/2017 at 2:57 PM, digbeth said:

the middle one before chonburi will be removed, as the whole system is 'closed' means you take a card and pay at your exit, meaning you'll only encounter only 2 toll booths, ideally the congestion at the middle toll booth will be alleviated since further traffic to Rayong and such will have their separate exit booths to us that use Pattaya

I saw these new Blue toll booths when taxi was driving from BKK to Pattaya and back as this time all traffic actually had to  go through those toll booths. Why the hell are they making new toll booths on a highway that was already there forever???

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I saw these new Blue toll booths when taxi was driving from BKK to Pattaya and back as this time all traffic actually had to  go through those toll booths. Why the hell are they making new toll booths on a highway that was already there forever???

They had a sign when that extension from 36 to Sukhumvit in Pattaya is completed that the highway is free to use temporarily and that toll will commence at a later date.

Since 'Forever' is around 2009 when that part of extension was opened

The bit of Highway 7 between Chonburi to 36 was only there in its current form from around 2007