soulmate?

1FinickyOne

เครื่องบอกอัตโนมัติ

I can't see 'soulmate' here where did you find it timestamp?
I have never seen เครื่อง used to describe a person.
I think of เครื่อง as a thing.
บอก is a transitive verb so must be followed by a noun.
I suspect that อัตโนมัติ as a noun น. ความเห็นส่วนตัว ความเห็นโดยลำพังตน is not used in everyday speech. As an adverb it means เป็นไปได้ในตัวเอง (automatic) and comes from English I expect, so if it were applicable to บอก it would need อย่าง .
เครื่องบอกอย่างอัตโนมัติ > A thing telling automatically (?) Automatic speaker.(?)

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I can't see 'soulmate' here where did you find it timestamp?
I have never seen เครื่อง used to describe a person.
I think of เครื่อง as a thing.
บอก is a transitive verb so must be followed by a noun.
I suspect that อัตโนมัติ as a noun น. ความเห็นส่วนตัว ความเห็นโดยลำพังตน is not used in everyday speech. As an adverb it means เป็นไปได้ในตัวเอง (automatic) and comes from English I expect, so if it were applicable to บอก it would need อย่าง .
เครื่องบอกอย่างอัตโนมัติ > A thing telling automatically (?) Automatic speaker.(?)

It was a joke mate. Replace 'Speaker' with 'Teller'

Crikey, I addressed my comment to the wrong person, sorry.
If you see ‘soulmate’ as ATM (เครื่อง เอ ที เอ็ม) then I wonder what you think soulmate means.
Incidentally there is a relationship between ‘to tell’ and ‘bank teller’ in English but บอก can’t be used for ‘teller’ in that sense.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Crikey, I addressed my comment to the wrong person, sorry.
If you see ‘soulmate’ as ATM (เครื่อง เอ ที เอ็ม) then I wonder what you think soulmate means.
Incidentally there is a relationship between ‘to tell’ and ‘bank teller’ in English but บอก can’t be used for ‘teller’ in that sense.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Ok. Thanks to all. I am sure I can speak around and put forth the same meaning. 

Tgeezer... I am relatively conversant, though I definitely have gaps, especially in comprehension. I can read basic signs only. I am pretty much street learned. Do you have any learning materials to recommend. Anything with a complex transliteration guide is usually too tedious for me, though my pronounciation is pretty good and I can read enough for that purpose. I am thinking of going through my nieces grammar school vocabulary books. Thanks. 

Tgeezer... I am relatively conversant, though I definitely have gaps, especially in comprehension. I can read basic signs only. I am pretty much street learned. Do you have any learning materials to recommend. Anything with a complex transliteration guide is usually too tedious for me, though my pronounciation is pretty good and I can read enough for that purpose. I am thinking of going through my nieces grammar school vocabulary books. Thanks. 

I am learning Thai as s recreation. I am interested in communicating but I separate that from learning the language which I do as an academic exercise.
ชนชาติไทย เป็นชนชาติหนึ่งที่มีระบบภาษาที่มีเอกลักษณ์เฉพาะตัว which means that Thai people have a unique language and I try to approach Thai in that spirit.
I have a chart of ตัวหนังสือ usually referred to as ก. ไก่ , pinned onto the back of the bathroom door and a book of the same at hand these wre very important to me in the first stages of learning. Plus I like to read the Royal Institute's dictionary. Here in England I have a 2525 edition and by comparison with later editions it is interesting to see how Thai has changed in that short time. Very often if I find a definition which is difficult to understand when I look up the more modern version, I often find that it is easier to understand and sometimes I find that the old meaning has been dropped altogether. Other Thai dictionaries are even easier for English speakers to understand
I think that I would do all that on the internet now because with sound, it would be much better.
I would not advise you to bother to learn any phonetics for Thai, it is much easier to learn the sounds represented by the Thai symbols.

7 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Tonray, I think that I get it now, cynical but good. I appear a bit stiff because I don’t translate much, I see บอก as พูดให้รู้ .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It does not translate well because of course ATM is the commonly used word worldwide. But yeah...just a little joke...

if you want to complete the joke

ตู้กดตังค์ lit.: cabinet where you punch out money

or there's an already good thai description of 

ตู้ทอง  gold (display) cabinet, someone who overly adorns oneself with gold jewellery

ตู้ทองเคลื่อนที่ mobile gold cabinet

buy เอ ที เอ็ม is probably best

back to the original

เนื้อคู่ is good

see also

คู่ชีวิต

พรหมลิชิต

Most Thais are Buddhist and thus are not particularly receptive to the concept of a soul. The Buddhist concept is a-atama. Contrast this with the Hindu title for Mohandas Gandhi, the maha atama (Mahatma Gandhi), great soul.

7 hours ago, Johpa said:

Most Thais are Buddhist and thus are not particularly receptive to the concept of a soul. The Buddhist concept is a-atama. Contrast this with the Hindu title for Mohandas Gandhi, the maha atama (Mahatma Gandhi), great soul.

Yes. I understand that there is no direct translation, I would even have trouble defining "soul mate" in English... I was just looking for a word that they might use that would come across a little deeper than special friend... I guess we can always add the mahk mahk.. [with feeling] 

But thanks for extra info...

Edited by kenk24

if you want to complete the joke

ตู้กดตังค์ lit.: cabinet where you punch out money

or there's an already good thai description of 

ตู้ทอง  gold (display) cabinet, someone who overly adorns oneself with gold jewellery

ตู้ทองเคลื่อนที่ mobile gold cabinet

buy เอ ที เอ็ม is probably best

back to the original

เนื้อคู่ is good

see also

คู่ชีวิต

พรหมลิชิต

I think that these are good examples of why simplified language doesn't work for me. In all probability เคลื่อนที่ has been translated as the adjective, 'mobile' which can be applied to the noun ตู้ in Thai style to arrive at "Mobile cabinet".

But it doesn't say that, so when it appears out of the original context I have no choice but to read it. เคลื่อนที่ cannot be read because ที่ is a fixed thing, for that reason เคลื่อนที่ needs to be defined, and so it is defined in my RID as ว. ไม่อยู่กับที่ , ไม่ประจำที่ >moved.

To say 'mobile cabinet' I think that ตู้เคลื่อนที่ needs more ตู้ที่เคลื่อนที่ได้ .

I can picture a situation where someone with hundreds of 'equivalent words' but yet to encounter 'mobile phone' might conclude that โทรศัพท์เคลื่อนที่ worked.

ตู้กดตังค์ is similarly wrong grammatically neither ตู้ nor ตังค์ can be made meaningful with the verb กด in my opinion.

However Thai wasn't always so prescriptive so my application of grammar some could be justified in criticising.

โทรศัพท์เคลื่อนที่ is exactly what the formal is for mobile telephone and is in use 15-20 years ago 

I should have known! I think that what this exercise shows is that English has a grammar and although most of us don’t use it we do have access to it, the poor old Thais do not have access to a grammar.
I came to the conclusion long ago that words in proximity with approximate meanings was what Thai was and it works perfectly well for Thais most of the time. Translating English is the problem and I try to avoid that!