Best way to go for up to 6 month cell service?

JohnMc45

So I have attempted to decipher the web sites of the big 3 cell companies and read some old threads here. I am still lost.  Will be in Thailand for up to six months setting up a new factory. Will be staying/working out by the BFTZ in Samut Prakan but weekend holidaying around Thailand to. So reasonable coverage outside greater Bkk would be good.   Will need moderate use of phone/text and will have wifi at condo but will probably need a fair bit of data for everything else. What is my best bet?     

What does a "fair bit" of data mean? How many GB/week/month? How important is speed?
There are a number of different packages out there; some give you lots of data, some are "unlimited" but at reduced speed.

Sent from my TA-1021 using Tapatalk

What is your budget?

The best solution might be to utilize pre-paid services and subscribe to a monthly recurring data plan. Then just remember to add value to your SIM before the renewal day/date.

Most post-paid contracts require a 12-month commitment, but maybe your local contacts can arrange something for you?

All three providers offer similar packages and service.

Out-bound calls will be ~ 1 baht/min or less, originated SMSes ~ 1 baht/each, although you could subscribe to a calling plan as well, in-bound calls are free.

There are perhaps a thousand or more options/promotions at any one time, and if you have a feel for your usage requirements you can probably find the perfect package. Maybe just get a SIM when you arrive, add 1,000 baht, subscribe to a data plan and see what you use/need?

I dont think there is much difference coverage wise unless you are in some remote area. All have similar prepaid data packs.

I have used DTAC for years and GF has true, if I have no service or 2G etc, so does she.

I use a 4G 1.5G free facebook and messenger, 199/month, most of the time that lasts the month, if i use it all in 2 weeks (SMS to tell you) enter the ussd code and start again.

As others have said, put 500 baht credit on your phone (it doesnt expire each month) buy another data pack when required.

You can store the ussd code as a contacts on your phone, check balance, renew data pack etc

Edited by Peterw42

You can purchase any type of prepaid SIM you want. Tourist SIMs are often prepackaged with calling time and internet volume over a fixed period (7/30 days), and they can be transitioned to "normal" packages. Or you can just buy any 50 baht "normal" SIM, add value, subscribe to a plan and off you go.

Assuming you have a Work Permit you could get a post-paid account, but these often require a 12-month commitment.

I'd wait until you get here, go pre-paid for the first 30 days, get a feel for your usage, talk to your local contacts then modify your plan for the remainder of your time here.

Ok, That clears a lot up. Some of the info I was reading was I think written by the tinfoil hat brigade. It was sounding like as a non Thai you could only buy tourist sim's and because you had to show your passport then the Thai gov was tracking everyone.  At <500Bath/m for a per paid package I am not to worried about saving a little on post paid. I spend about that for my Mom to have a basic cell to call a taxi or two a month in Canada.      

6 minutes ago, JohnMc45 said:

Ok, That clears a lot up. Some of the info I was reading was I think written by the tinfoil hat brigade. It was sounding like as a non Thai you could only buy tourist sim's and because you had to show your passport then the Thai gov was tracking everyone.  At <500Bath/m for a per paid package I am not to worried about saving a little on post paid. I spend about that for my Mom to have a basic cell to call a taxi or two a month in Canada.      

"Tourist Sim" is a branding/marketing term, its just a sim with some credit and a data pack already in place.

Just pick up a basic SIM costing 49 baht at one of the airport booths. They might pretend to not have any or tell you that there is no data or credit on it, but gently insist.

Anyway, you will buy credit at the same time so they will be happy.

For the least fuss, you can buy a package with capped bandwidth but unlimited data.

All networks have packages capped at 1, 4, & 6 Mbps. Some will also have 10 Mbps and maximum speed unlimited(1605 baht per 30 days)

23 hours ago, JamJar said:

Just pick up a basic SIM costing 49 baht at one of the airport booths. They might pretend to not have any or tell you that there is no data or credit on it, but gently insist.

Anyway, you will buy credit at the same time so they will be happy.

For the least fuss, you can buy a package with capped bandwidth but unlimited data.

All networks have packages capped at 1, 4, & 6 Mbps. Some will also have 10 Mbps and maximum speed unlimited(1605 baht per 30 days)

Yes I agree with JJ for once.....plenty of data packages out there if you dont need "speed" per se plenty of "always on" connections for around 200---250  baht a month. Personally use True sim

You should look at Post paid packages - I use Dtac get some great speeds (around 50+ mark on 4G) and I get 16gb +300 mins call time for 600 baht.

Also pay 125 baht extra for a second sim for use in tablet which gives another 1gb but then shares normal data package.