Polishing scratches out of reading glasses

Kenny202

Expect you have prescription type?   Off the shelf they sell for 1-200 baht everywhere so likely is not much room to charge a fee.

Google has DIY options such as:

Use a cotton or soft wool cloth with a little non-abrasive toothpaste to quickly buff away scratches on eye glasses. Rub the lens gently, moving the cloth in small circles. Continue this motion for around ten seconds. Rinse with cold water and wipe dry.

You can't get scratches out of eyeglass lenses for the simple reason that they are in the coating, mainly the anti scratch coating LOL.

Next time get yourself lenses without coatings.

I did on my last purchase about 2 years ago. Got Hoya CR-39, cheapest lens they have, without any coatings and as of today not a single scratch.

It is at the same time also one of the strongest materials they have, so ideal for frameless eyeglasses.

Expect you have prescription type?   Off the shelf they sell for 1-200 baht everywhere so likely is not much room to charge a fee.
Google has DIY options such as:
Use a cotton or soft wool cloth with a little non-abrasive toothpaste to quickly buff away scratches on eye glasses. Rub the lens gently, moving the cloth in small circles. Continue this motion for around ten seconds. Rinse with cold water and wipe dry.

When you say off the shelf u mean the ready made +1.50 +1.75 etc type?
Yeah I've had them before and they're good. I'd like to sort these though and some other sunglasses I have as the frames are expensive.

I've tried all the above remedies. .no good. Hard as nails. I don't know how they got scratched so easy in the first place

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes - sorry worded it bad - the off the shelf ready made market types are cheap.  Are the frames worth buying new lens?  Expect a glasses shop could do that - but they are really expensive for anything - I buy mail order from Zenni for last decade - but do use local sold reading glasses currently and find the microfiber cloths work good for cleaning.

Edited by lopburi3

Try grinding then down yourself. You can buy small amounts of diamond powder in the jewellery supply shops near Charoenkrung and Silom roads. Buy several micron grades e.g 0-10 microns relatively coarse down to 0-2 microns which is fine enough to polish diamonds. One small tube will only cost about 100 baht.

Not sure how you would do it but may suspend the powder in oil and rub around the lens with your finger?

You will probably not affect the optical quality too much unless you rub for hours.

I only throw frames away when they are irreparably broken.

Until then, when my prescription changes or the lenses need replacing, I just get the man in First Optic to fit new ones for 400B the pair. He's in Pattaya but the same price/service should be available everywhere.

Zenni has a selection glasses for $6.95, including lenses.  I bought a pair at that price for reading and they aren't bad.  The frames were on a par with decent store bought sunglasses and the prescription was correct. 

Zenni manufactures and ships from their own factory in China.  Orders take about 10 days to Bangkok..$9.95 shipping