Can I easily arrange car insurance for a visiting friend?

Tapster

Mmmm....OK, thank you very much.

That makes things a bit easier. I'll just get my car tax up to date (which will include the basic government insurance) and then get a month's comprehensive cover to take care of the time my friends will be using the car.

:biggrin:

On 10/22/2017 at 3:57 PM, Tapster said:

That makes things a bit easier. I'll just get my car tax up to date (which will include the basic government insurance) and then get a month's comprehensive cover to take care of the time my friends will be using the car.

Probably easier to get a years cover, with if required a refund when your friends are not using the car anymore.

On 10/22/2017 at 3:23 PM, worgeordie said:

I believe in Thailand it's the car that is insured ,not the driver,

so they will be able to use your car,they will need an international

driving license..

regards Worgeordie

Small technical point. Unless they are from India and a few other countries, they probably don't legally require an IDP,  but dumb Thai policeman ignorant of the law, including 'volunteers' in Chiang Mai will say they should have one.

Last month my 23 year old son came to visit us from Canada for 14 days.   My son is Thai and he has a Thai driving License.  My car has 2 registered insured drivers, my wife and myself. 

I simply called my car insurance and requested that they changed my wife as a driver for my son as the new insured driver for the two weeks period then automatically all went back to normal once the two weeks were done.    All for a fee of 50 Baht...

Better be safe than sorry especially in Thailand.

On 10/22/2017 at 3:57 PM, Tapster said:

"get a month's comprehensive cover to take care of the time my friends will be using the car.". Good luck with that!

2 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

Last month my 23 year old son came to visit us from Canada for 14 days.   My son is Thai and he has a Thai driving License.  My car has 2 registered insured drivers, my wife and myself. 

I simply called my car insurance and requested that they changed my wife as a driver for my son as the new insured driver for the two weeks period then automatically all went back to normal once the two weeks were done.    All for a fee of 50 Baht...

Better be safe than sorry especially in Thailand.

Most likely there is also cover for others than the named drivers, just with a higher deductable.

1 hour ago, Tapster said:

@stevenl

I think the canceling-after-a-month thing is the way to go for me.

I certainly don't want to pay for a year so that my friends have peace of mind for one month!

Thank you very much.    :biggrin:

you have to pay the full year upfront, so canceling after they leave you might not get any money back.

19 hours ago, ericthai said:

you have to pay the full year upfront, so canceling after they leave you might not get any money back.

Yes, you pay the year up front, but do get money back for the unused months. See the policies for the refund scheme.

Edited by stevenl