Changing From Tourist Visa To Non Immigrant "oa" Visa.

Apologies, if my questions are covered in other posts in this forum, but I feel very confused about the visa regulations, so I would like to ask for advice for my specific situation.

I am retired, receive pension from my home country, age over 50 years and currently stay here on an 30 days extension of a 60 days tourist visa, this extension is valid until 31. january 2007

My plan is:

Before 31. january change the visa type to non immigrant "OA" valid for 1 year.

Can this be done ?

If yes, do I need more than the following documents ?

passport.

Document from my embassy stating my gross pension income. (more than 1.00.000 baht/year)

If I manage to get this non immigrant "OA" visa, will the date of obtaining this visa be january 2007, or will they use the date of the original tourist visa ?

Any help much appreciated.

North :o

Apologies, if my questions are covered in other posts in this forum, but I feel very confused about the visa regulations, so I would like to ask for advice for my specific situation.

I am retired, receive pension from my home country, age over 50 years and currently stay here on an 30 days extension of a 60 days tourist visa, this extension is valid until 31. january 2007

My plan is:

Can this be done ?

If yes, do I need more than the following documents ?

passport.

Document from my embassy stating my gross pension income. (more than 1.00.000 baht/year)

If I manage to get this non immigrant "OA" visa, will the date of obtaining this visa be january 2007, or will they use the date of the original tourist visa ?

Any help much appreciated.

North :o

They can change your tourist visa to an O class visa. The O-A can only issue in your home country. The one year extension will commence from the date of the original tourist visa. Get the statement of income and head off to Immigration and begin the process. It isn't hard. Dress nicely and be pleasant. All will be well.

My plan is:

Your plan is faulty !

You do not want an AO (only issued outside Thailand) ... What you want is a Non O as advised by DrPP.

Get 90 day Non O, then get 12 months extension a few weeks prior to expiry.

Search forum for details. :o

Naka.

You are expected to have 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay of a tourist visa - with 15 days recently reported by Sunbelt as the minimum. So you should do it tomorrow or Monday. First you convert to a non immigrant O visa and then extend your stay for retirement for one year.

Thank you for the inputs.

Unfortunately I cannot change my visa yet as suggested by lopburi3, since I am still waiting for the letter from the embassy, but I have an extra tourist visa already to be utilized before 25. january, and then I can do the change of visa class as suggested

Ok, I remember wrong about the possibility to get an OA visa in Thailand.

And, in my first post I missed a zero in the income number, the correct figure is: more than 1.000.000 baht

So, as long as you have more than 800.000 baht income per year veryfied by the embassy, does that mean you don´t have to show money in the bank ?

Do I need other documents ?

North

Thank you for the inputs.

Unfortunately I cannot change my visa yet as suggested by lopburi3, since I am still waiting for the letter from the embassy, but I have an extra tourist visa already to be utilized before 25. january, and then I can do the change of visa class as suggested

Ok, I remember wrong about the possibility to get an OA visa in Thailand.

And, in my first post I missed a zero in the income number, the correct figure is: more than 1.000.000 baht

So, as long as you have more than 800.000 baht income per year veryfied by the embassy, does that mean you don´t have to show money in the bank ?

Do I need other documents ?

North

In addition

You will need a bank book (original) + copy

A bank statement (Original)

A few fotos

Application form

Fees ( a few thousand baht)

If not in Bangkok yiou might need a medical certificate

Take along with you the documents proving the yearly income to support the letter from embassy

Good luck

You should have a bank account but the amount of funds will not be an issue. Copies of the passbook pages and a letter issued within 7 days by the bank branch confirmed final total on passbook (standard form normally costing 200 baht). Your letter from Embassy and a 4x6cm photo taken within 6 months. Form TM.7 filled out and signed and payment of 1,900 baht. Support proof of Embassy letter. If done upcountry expect to have extra copies required.

For most people it is about a 20 minute process. If you plan frequent travel a multi re-entry permit at 3,800 baht would be good to obtain on same visit - after you obtain the extension of stay.

All the information given so far is accurate but not very detailed.

As long as you have a tourist visa, whether it is the original time frame or extentions thereof and you have a couple of weeks left on it, you are in good shape to go to immigration and change your visa status to non-imm-O, but be sure and have all your retirement information with you as this change is "in anticipation" of a retirement extention of the non-imm-O and they want to see that you qualify for the retirement extention before they make the change of visa status, IMHO.

Since most of us go to the Embassy or counsulate in person to get our pension letters, your having to wait to get yours raises questions in our minds that you might choose to clarify so were sure your on the right track. You will need 1900 Baht for the change of status, and when granted they will automatically give you a 90 day period of stay for your non-imm-O and then you can go back for the extention within 30 days of expirry, however, as posted, your one year extention, the first time, will be backdated to your entry date on the tourist visa. Next extention should be for a full year.

You pay another 1900 Baht when you extend your non-imm-O.

You will need a bank account showing expenditures for lving expenses, regardless of whether your pension letter shows monthly pension of 100K baht. It would be a good idea to also have the underlying proof of what your pension income is, ie. a letter, pension statement or bank statment showing regular receipts of your pension income as these may be asked for, especially for the first time.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

As previously posted, I was charged 1900 Baht in Chiang Mai on 9 Nov 2007 for a change from tourist visa to non-imm-O and on 9 Jan 2007 another 1900 Baht for an extention of that non-imm-O.

Perhaps Chiang Mai has a different charge rate than BKK, as is the case on many other prices between the two cities.

Show me yours.

The fee is 2,000 baht and that applies everywhere. Do you have the receipt?

The form for change is TM86 as http://www.imm.police.go.th/nov2004/download/tm86.doc

If you have no visa the form is TM87 as http://www.imm.police.go.th/nov2004/download/tm87.doc

Page two of both are marked 2,000 baht fee.

It must have been your good looks.

I'm just about to start on this process (changing TV to NI O in anticipation of getting retirement status) and I'm based in Chiang Mai and qualify age and income wise. Assuming I manage to get a bank account opened (had three refusals yesterday - they said I need a work permit!) will I have to get a statement of income letter from the British Embassy in BKK or is it possible to get one in Chiang Mai?

The bank accounts I may need to prove regular income in the UK are held online and I don't get printed statements which makes the concept of "original" documents a bit of a nonsense. Anyone run into problems with this?

If anyone knows a bank in CM that will let me open an account I'd be grateful for the info. Thanks.

You should have a bank account but the amount of funds will not be an issue. Copies of the passbook pages and a letter issued within 7 days by the bank branch confirmed final total on passbook (standard form normally costing 200 baht). Your letter from Embassy and a 4x6cm photo taken within 6 months. Form TM.7 filled out and signed and payment of 1,900 baht. Support proof of Embassy letter. If done upcountry expect to have extra copies required.

For most people it is about a 20 minute process. If you plan frequent travel a multi re-entry permit at 3,800 baht would be good to obtain on same visit - after you obtain the extension of stay.

I had a little difficulty getting a bank account, but after asking in various bank, I managed to get one.

As long as you have a tourist visa, whether it is the original time frame or extentions thereof and you have a couple of weeks left on it, you are in good shape to go to immigration and change your visa status to non-imm-O, but be sure and have all your retirement information with you as this change is "in anticipation" of a retirement extention of the non-imm-O and they want to see that you qualify for the retirement extention before they make the change of visa status, IMHO.

Since most of us go to the Embassy or counsulate in person to get our pension letters, your having to wait to get yours raises questions in our minds that you might choose to clarify so were sure your on the right track

Sorry, but I don´t understand, what you mean ?

. You will need 1900 Baht for the change of status, and when granted they will automatically give you a 90 day period of stay for your non-imm-O and then you can go back for the extention within 30 days of expirry, however, as posted, your one year extention, the first time, will be backdated to your entry date on the tourist visa. Next extention should be for a full year.

You will need a bank account showing expenditures for lving expenses, regardless of whether your pension letter shows monthly pension of 100K baht. It would be a good idea to also have the underlying proof of what your pension income is, ie. a letter, pension statement or bank statment showing regular receipts of your pension income as these may be asked for, especially for the first time.

I thought, that when I had this statement from the embassy about my annual income, they did not need more ??

For the last almost 2,5 months of stay here I just went to an ATM and made withdrawals, easy and inexpensive, since my bank at home don´t charge me for withdrawals in ATM´s

So the only proof I have for private expenditure here in Thailand, are statements of accounts from my home bank.

North

British Consulate, Chiang Mai

The address of the Honorary Consulate is:

British Honorary Consulate

198 Bumrungraj Road

Muang Chiang Mai 50000

Thailand

Telephone: +66 (0) 53 263 015

Fax: +66 (0) 53 263 016

E-mail: [email protected]

Opening hours: 0900 to 1130, Mondays to Fridays

British Honorary Consul: Mr Jon Glendinning

Consular Assistant: Mrs Panita Inthasan

The principle role of the Honorary Consulate is to offer consular assistance to Britons in the Chiang Mai area. This is done in close co-operation with the British Embassy in Bangkok. Details of consular assistance available to Britons in Thailand can be viewed at Consular services. Please note that applications for passports and certain other consular functions have to be forwarded to the Embassy in Bangkok, and adequate time should be allowed for this. The relevant application forms are however available at the Honorary Consulate in Chiang Mai.

Lopburi, I downloaded the form TM86 as per your link but it doesn't open properly in Word - looks like a formatting issue. Is there a pdf somewhere?

Opens in my Word 2003 fine, inside and outside browser, so believe must be some other factor. Have not seen in PDF but you can obtain and fill out in office in any case.

Lopburi, I downloaded the form TM86 as per your link but it doesn't open properly in Word - looks like a formatting issue. Is there a pdf somewhere?

Opens in my Word 2003 fine, inside and outside browser, so believe must be some other factor. Have not seen in PDF but you can obtain and fill out in office in any case.

OK, I'll persevere! Thanks for your info on the British Consulate.

Bank Account in Chiang Mai: I solved the problem this morning by going to:

Kasikorn Bank

Thanon Moonmuang Chiangmai Branch

205/3-6 Moonmuang Road

Tel 053 218210

Asst. Manager: Joy

It's near soi 7 on Moonmuang Road and they couldn't have been more helpful. Didn't even look at the visa page and said they'd be happy to write any letters for immigration that I might need.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a little difficulty getting a bank account, but after asking in various bank, I managed to get one.

Since most of us go to the Embassy or counsulate in person to get our pension letters, your having to wait to get yours raises questions in our minds that you might choose to clarify so were sure your on the right track

Sorry, but I don´t understand, what you mean ?

. You will need 1900 Baht for the change of status, and when granted they will automatically give you a 90 day period of stay for your non-imm-O and then you can go back for the extention within 30 days of expirry, however, as posted, your one year extention, the first time, will be backdated to your entry date on the tourist visa. Next extention should be for a full year.

I thought, that when I had this statement from the embassy about my annual income, they did not need more ??

For the last almost 2,5 months of stay here I just went to an ATM and made withdrawals, easy and inexpensive, since my bank at home don´t charge me for withdrawals in ATM´s

So the only proof I have for private expenditure here in Thailand, are statements of accounts from my home bank.

North

I never got an answer to my last questions, I hope someone will be able to tell me if I need proof of expenditure or I just need the income statement from the embassy ?

And one thing more. As stated in posts above immigration will backdate the O visa extension to the date of arrival on a tourist visa, - in my case nov,3rd 2006.

For some specific reason I would like to avoid that, how can it be done ??

Thank you for any help.

North

You need the Embassy income letter and if asked proof to support that letter (it has been asked for lately).

Leave and return again before you make visa change/application.

Hmmm,I really don´t understand it, do you mean, that I should get a visa from some thai consulate, like in Vientiane, and return on that visa, or ???

This visa thing gives me a headache :o

But thank you for helping. :D

North

You said you were not happy using your current entry date. The way around that would be to have a new entry date that you were happy about. To do that will require you leave and enter using a new visa entry on the date you like. So a new visa from Vientiane should serve the purpose. You could even take your financial proof and see if they would perhaps issue a non immigrant visa to eliminate the extra change step later. Not sure they will but nothing lost is trying.

I hope someone will be able to tell me if I need proof of expenditure or I just need the income statement from the embassy ?

North,

I'm sure Lopburi will correct me if I'm wrong, but 'proof of expenditure' doesn't seem to be a requirement for retirement extensions these days. In fact, having to show a bankbook when you qualify solely on having retirement income of 65k plus, isn't a strict requirement -- but seems to be asked for by many of the Immigration offices recently (with 200k being the highest amount I've seen being looked for).

And, it's recently been reported that 30-day visa exemption stamps can still be converted to Non Imm O visas in-country if you otherwise qualify for an extension of stay, which you apparently do. So, it would seem, a quick over and back border run could do the trick for you. (But, to be sure, I'd check with the Immigration office you're dealing with to see what sheet of music they're on.)

You said you were not happy using your current entry date. The way around that would be to have a new entry date that you were happy about. To do that will require you leave and enter using a new visa entry on the date you like. So a new visa from Vientiane should serve the purpose. You could even take your financial proof and see if they would perhaps issue a non immigrant visa to eliminate the extra change step later. Not sure they will but nothing lost is trying.

Ok lopburi, I think I understand now- finally. :o

As far as I remember a friend of mine here in Khon Kaen recently went to Vientiane and got an 3 month Non Imm. "O", he only expected to get a touristvisa, but in the end got 3 month.

Do you have any information about what JimGant are telling in his post about the possibility to convert a 30-day visa exemption stamp to a Non Imm O, when you obviously qualify for that visa type ?

I hope someone will be able to tell me if I need proof of expenditure or I just need the income statement from the embassy ?

North,

I'm sure Lopburi will correct me if I'm wrong, but 'proof of expenditure' doesn't seem to be a requirement for retirement extensions these days. In fact, having to show a bankbook when you qualify solely on having retirement income of 65k plus, isn't a strict requirement -- but seems to be asked for by many of the Immigration offices recently (with 200k being the highest amount I've seen being looked for).

And, it's recently been reported that 30-day visa exemption stamps can still be converted to Non Imm O visas in-country if you otherwise qualify for an extension of stay, which you apparently do. So, it would seem, a quick over and back border run could do the trick for you. (But, to be sure, I'd check with the Immigration office you're dealing with to see what sheet of music they're on.)

Thank you for the answer. As I have said before, until now I have been making withdrawals from ATM´s to get money for living, but ok, I have kept all receipts from the ATM´s, if that would be of any help.

About the possibility to convert the 30 day exemption stamp to a Non Imm O, this is really interesting, if it can be done, I think I will ask immigration in Nong Khai.

North

Edited by North

You can convert a tourist visa or entry without visa to non immigrant type if you meet the rules for extension of stay (and currently they are using the old rules so even 400k bank balance will do. The cost is an extra 2,000 baht and you should have 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay time (although exceptions are often made).

You can convert a tourist visa or entry without visa to non immigrant type if you meet the rules for extension of stay (and currently they are using the old rules so even 400k bank balance will do.

Uh, now I'm confused. North is querying about a retirement extension: how does "they are using the old rules so even 400k bank balance will do" apply? And even if he were asking about a [first time] extension based on marriage -- how would the 400k bank balance apply now that they've switched to the 40k income requirement for first timers? Obviously I'm missing something here.

Click on the following for a pdf TM86: TM86

My MSOffice also won't read the TM86.doc correctly (English rolls underneath the Thai script). I do have a Thai font loaded, which MS Word recognizes. However, I believe I need to do what the following link suggests (but which I'm lacking some of the dll's necessary -- I don't have the original XP discs -- so I can't determine whether or not this is the problem).

Click Here

After the link comes up, scroll down to the Windows XP hyperlinks, then click there.

(Hope someone can verify this can correct the problem with MS Word reading Thai documents.....)

He was asking about conversion as outlined in para 2 of your post and I was providing the general rule. Indeed 400k is the old rule for marriage extension but it can be used to extend your stay even now (for marriage). The visa change office continues to use the old rules. For retirement there is no change from old to new except for the 3 month in account.

You are expected to have 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay of a tourist visa - with 15 days recently reported by Sunbelt as the minimum. So you should do it tomorrow or Monday. First you convert to a non immigrant O visa and then extend your stay for retirement for one year.
You can convert a tourist visa or entry without visa to non immigrant type if you meet the rules for extension of stay (and currently they are using the old rules so even 400k bank balance will do. The cost is an extra 2,000 baht and you should have 21 days remaining on your permitted to stay time (although exceptions are often made).

Hmmm, I must have been asleep when I wrote the last few posts (in february), because, I did go to Laos on the 24th of january and reentered Thailand on my second entry of the tourist visa.

So does that mean, that this new arrival date 24th of january ( which is the second entry of my tourist visa issued last october) will be the date referring to, when they backdate the Non Imm O, that I hope to get ??

If yes, then my new time schedule looks like this:

My tourist visa number 2 is valid until March 24th. 2007, then around March 1st. I can go to immigration and apply for a visa change from tourist visa to Non Imm O.

If all the paperwork is ok, they will on that day give me an Non Imm O valid for three months.

Then I need to wait approx. two months ( until 1st. May) At that time I can apply for a one year extension based on retirement. If immigration are satisfied with all the paperwork I provide, as I understand it, they will give me the extension on the spot ( not sending the case to Bangkok and have me waiting for months) Is that so ??

Which means, that I can have the Non Imm OA extension around 1st. may 2007 ?

And,- after getting the one year extension, as I understand it, I can buy a multiple re-entry permit for 3,800 baht. Is that permit valid for one year ?

The reason, why the time schedule is so important to me is, that I want to try to make an import of my personal belongings, and therefore my belongings must arrive in Thailand no later than 6 months after the issuing date of the Non Imm O.

Ooooh Headache, the pharmacy next door makes good money, he he. :o:D

I hope, that I have got everything right this time !

North

Headache number two. You are not allowed duty free import. Only those here on extensions of stay with a work permit get that.

Otherwise looks OK but if you have the money/proof they can probably do the extension of stay the same day they do the visa conversion (to non immigrant O - not to "OA") and save you another trip. You are obtaining a one year extension of stay on the basis of retirement. An O-A visa is issued by a Consulate outside of Thailand for a pre-approved extension of stay.

The multi re-entry permit is only valid until the marked permitted to stay date in your passport. So if you obtain after extension of stay it will have the same date.

Headache number two. You are not allowed duty free import. Only those here on extensions of stay with a work permit get that.

Lopburi, I am sure you are right about this, but I can try and see what happens. Maybe if my belongings arrive at a good day ( someone celebrating birthday or other kind of sanuk ) at the customs, they will not find it worthwhile to look into my shipment for taxable goods, well, you never know, it is worth trying, I think.

If they are not having a good day maybe I just have to pay !

North