Xiaomi Mi Box 3 - BKK supplier (Fortune etc)?

SooKee

Looking to pick one of these up locally if I can.  Readily available on Lazada for about 3,600 (Thai seller - probably about 1,000 overpriced) and 2,500 or so from overseas sellers (where reviewers have said delivery times can be lengthy) so will be looking to buy one locally if I can before going the Lazada route, if the price is OK.  No real other reason to go out to Fortune Tower or the like but would be interested to hear if anyone's seen these around in BKK and at what price.

If I remember right, the original U.S. version of the Mi Box had the model number:

MDZ-16-AB. And sold for $69 retail thru Walmart, though they also could be purchased online thru Xiaomi's global store at the time for delivery to the U.S.  Other destinations supposedly got the China/international version.

And it still seems to show available there even now for $69:

http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

Don't see any mention there of any subsequent Mi Box models released for the U.S. market.

Supposedly, one of the differences between the U.S. version and the various Xiaomi China/international versions was that the U.S. version software updates were supposed to come from Google, as opposed to Xiaomi for the others.

How much of a benefit has that been? It's now been more than a year since the Mi Boxes were originally released in the U.S., and they're still stuck on a version of Android 6, which is what they shipped with.

Last time I checked, Google and Xiaomi or whomever were supposedly into Beta #5 or so of the long promised update to Android 7.0 for the U.S. Mi Boxes. And there are leaked files out there of the beta 4 and 5 firmware versions that people have generally reported positively on.  But if and when the real official Android 7.0 is going to make it to the U.S. Mi Boxes, no one in the public realm seems to know.

PS -- The U.S. version came with 2 GB RAM, 8 GB flash memory and a quad core Cortex-A53 2.0 GHz processor, along with a Mali 450 750 MHz GPU. And of course, HDR support and passable, but not trouble-free, 4K support.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, Jai Dee said:

You could buy it direct from Xiaomi Thailand - see here.

5,490 baht for the 2GB model. :shock1:

xiaomilovers also have it for sale.

Cheers.  I've had a quick look at the second link, good enough price at 2,890 (Lazada price from overseas is 2,300 ish) so not too bad.  Will do some digging on the supplier and payment options.

Xiaomi Th is WAAAY overpriced at 5,490 for a $69 device.  Couldn't get out to Fortune as I'm waiting in for a delivery.  Will have a look Friday, other than that Xiaomi Lovers would be a reasonable choice I think.  Just need to be 100% sure it is the Mi Box 3 (Int version - far right, top row).  From what I've read on the various forums the non international version can't be configured for English (hence my preference to see it before I buy or order COD so I can reject it):

https://xiaomi-mi.com/tv-boxes/

Edited by SooKee

You could buy it direct from Xiaomi Thailand - see here.

5,490 baht for the 2GB model. :shock1:

WOW......  Android 4.4???  And 4 GB ROM...

The specs on their Thailand Xiaomi Box 3rd Edition web page seem to have no mention of HDR or even H.265 support...

Xiaomi Box 3rd Edition Specification

Output resolution 4K ( 3840 * 2160 )
Color: Black

Capacity
RAM:2GB DDR3
ROM: 4GB eMMC
Memory card support : MicroSD Card up to 64gb

Chipset
CPU: Cortex-A9,Quad Core 2.0GHZ
GPU: Mali-450MP6,6 2 CORE 600MHz
RAM: 2GB DDR3 RAM
Others: eMMC 4.5 high standard flash memory

System
Google CTS certified MIUI TV based on Android 4.4

Entertainment
Video play formats: MKV, TS, FLV, AVI, VOB, MOV, WMV, MP4
H.264,VC-1,WMV-HD,MPEG1/2/4 to 1080P @ 30Zhen/sec;real7/8/9 up to 1080 @ 30 frames/sec.
Audio play formats: MP3, WMA, APE, Flac
MP3 64kbps-320kbps,WMA 64kbps to 320kbps,APE/Flac≤1500Kbps
Picture formats: JPEG/PNG/GIF/BMP
Support 3D Video output.

In contrast, the specs on the XiaomiLovers webpage seem to be basically comparable to the U.S. version.   And yet the much lower specced version from Xiaomi Thailand is far higher priced!

Bottom line: the two are totally different devices.

xiaomilovers also have it for sale.

In looking, the Xiaomilovers link you posted also points to another lower-specced box.

https://www.xiaomilovers.com/product/367/mi-box-3rd-64bit-กล่องแอนดรอยด์ทีวี-รุ่น-64bit

4 GM ROM, 1 GB RAM, Android 5.0, at least according to their specs.

The original U.S. version Mi Box is/was 8 GB ROM, 2 GB RAM, and Android 6.0.

Again, very different devices...

So I mis-spoke in the prior post -- the Xiaomilovers box is not at all the same as the U.S. version Mi Box. And neither is the differently lower specced Xiaomi Thailand box mentioned above.

59ef01404d1eb_XiaomiLoversBox.jpg.138463229dd2f80846b0f48af616943e.jpg

I've looked at Xiaomi Lovers. The problem in SEA is that there are actually quite a few variants of the Mi being sold, most intended for the Chinese market. The other problem is that quite a few sellers incorrectly advertise what they are selling. The XL site is quite confusing. Navigating to the box from different sections of the site seems to take you to different specs with the attached screen shot type photos not matching the tech spec they detail below. In one instance the box seems to match the spec of the US version but when you look at the photos under video it says 'Support only for Chinese language' so it's not a full international version it seems. Just too much risk with much site confusion and no clear return policy.

This one SEEMS to be correct. Ships from overseas. Even worth tipping the delivery guy 50-100 while you plug it in check the spec. You can then reject if it's not right.

[Global Version]]XiaoMi Mi tv box 3 Wifi Bluetooth 64bit 2GB DDR3

Android 6.0 Smart 4K HD TvBox US Plug

http://www.lazada.co.th/global-versionxiaomi-mi-tv-box-3-wifi-bluetooth-64bit-2gb-ddr3android-60-smart-4k-hd-tvbox-us-plug-intl-13898585.html

Sent using Tapatalk

Regarding the above post.  There seems to be different versions of the Mi at XL.  Using the link above takes you the site where they are offering the 1GB/4GB/Android 5/ non international (read Chinese) version of the box.  However, go to their 'Home' and then navigate down to recommended products (you can also get to it from the side bar under 'Mi box and Mi TV [5]) you get what looks like the US equivalent 2GB / 8GB / Android 6 / International version.  Both at 2,890.

As I say, it's not simply the US / non US version in this region, there are at least 7 variants on offer via different resellers

• Pro: 1GB / 4GB
  • Pro: 2GB / 4GB
  • 3: 1GB / 4GB
  • 3C: 1GB / 4GB
  • 3S: 2GB / 8GB
  • Enhanced (discontinued AFAIK): 2GB /8GB
  • International (but beware that SOME sellers wrongly label their products international when the specs don't tally): 2GB / 8GB

so it's vital to check your'e getting the right one.

Edited by SooKee

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

This one SEEMS to be correct. Ships from overseas. Even worth tipping the delivery guy 50-100 while you plug it in check the spec. You can then reject if it's not right.

[Global Version]]XiaoMi Mi tv box 3 Wifi Bluetooth 64bit 2GB DDR3

Android 6.0 Smart 4K HD TvBox US Plug

http://www.lazada.co.th/global-versionxiaomi-mi-tv-box-3-wifi-bluetooth-64bit-2gb-ddr3android-60-smart-4k-hd-tvbox-us-plug-intl-13898585.html

I agree. The specs info looks correct, and the photos of the box package, at least one of the two versions shown, match the version sold in the U.S. (the one with the SlingTV app logo shown, which is a U.S. only service). And the price is fair.

However, since the seller is overseas (apparently China) and they're shipping the packages into Thailand, a buyer would be back to the previously discussed risk/issue of NBTC and licensing and Thai Customs. Although, a much more acceptable risk than if one was paying/risking +-$200 on an imported Shield.

Most of the Thai language purchaser reviews seem positive, although a few seemed to be complaining about receiving the item in a bag instead of a box. Not sure if they meant the shipping package was a bag, or the MiBox itself came in a bag instead of the product boxes as shown in the listing.

I agree. The specs info looks correct, and the photos of the box package, at least one of the two versions shown, match the version sold in the U.S. (the one with the SlingTV app logo shown, which is a U.S. only service). And the price is fair.

However, since the seller is overseas (apparently China) and they're shipping the packages into Thailand, a buyer would be back to the previously discussed risk/issue of NBTC and licensing and Thai Customs. Although, a much more acceptable risk than if one was paying/risking +-$200 on an imported Shield.

Most of the Thai language purchaser reviews seem positive, although a few seemed to be complaining about receiving the item in a bag instead of a box. Not sure if they meant the shipping package was a bag, or the MiBox itself came in a bag instead of the product boxes as shown in the listing.

Provided the Lazada seller accepts COD, as in this case, the buyer is actually risking nothing. The box arrives. You pay. It doesn't. You don't.

I wouldn't be surprised if people are whining about the box being sent in a bag not the device just in a bag. If it arrived unboxed and just in a bag I'd just refuse delivery as is your right with Lazada. The other bonus with Lazada is they have a strict returns policy. 7 days in this case, provided you notify them within 48 hours. Plenty of time to check that the item is as described. You don't even pay to return it. Apply for their return label, stick it on the box, dump it at the nearest 7 and Lazada do the refund to the account you supply. In this case though. I'd rather tip the rider to sit and wait while I plug it in and check. Worth it even for 100 baht. If it's not right. Reject it.

Unless one of the places in Fortune was prepared to hook the box up to let you see you're probably safer with Lazada too. If it turns out you got sold the Chinese version I'd be interested to see how getting your money back would go at Fortune. I maybe wrong and doing them an injustice. I expect if Fortune had them it'll be the same price as the Lazada Thai suppliers, around 3,500. I'll know in an hour or so.

Sent using Tapatalk

Well that was pretty underwhelming. Loads of shops on the various IT floors at Fortune but precious few selling boxes. No need to worry about the price being different for the Mi in Fortune either. Nowhere had it. Minix,, H96 and Hi Media but no Xaomi. May be a chance they'd have it at MBK but I can't be bothered to go check TBH.

So it looks like Gearbest and either get a licence or risk them not bothering at Customs, Lazada from a COD overseas supplier (or Thai one at a premium of 1,200) or Xaomi Lovers if you are satisfied you will get the right box AND that their return policy for incorrectly described goods or a DOA is good enough.

Over and out.

Sent using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bartpix said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32Hi,

Below is the official international version ordered from Xiaomi. While waiting on the delivery I bought a loaded Minix. Hence I am selling this if you are interested.

59f43f30cc838_MiBox2.jpg.31bf3954261a89489020e46855ae1405.jpg

Sent you a PM.  Out of interest, which Minix did you go for - U1/U9?

Edited by SooKee

Bummer about the Mi Box and the U.S. cable TV streaming service YouTube TV....

Google announced in the past week that their YouTube TV streaming service for U.S. interested folks (it requires a U.S. IP) was going to be adding support for Android TV devices including the NVidia Shield and various Android TV-enabled TV brands. The announcement didn't mention the Mi Box specifically one way or the other, but since the Mi Box is official Android TV, I was hopeful of support...

Now, apparently not. After the YouTube TV app didn't show up in the Google Play Store for my U.S.-based Mi Box during the past several days since Google's announcement, I chatted online with Google YouTube TV support staff this morning, and was told, and then specifically shown, that their new YouTube TV app is NOT going to support the Mi Box, at least for now. :sad:

https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7129767?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=1

59fc05cbb6fd2_2017-11-0312_58.jpg.d84d3c9b826b9d0bfcbc71cc625000a2.jpg

Why they're specifically excluding one Android TV device, while apparently supporting many others, is a bit baffling...

Quick update for anyone that decides to order one of these COD from Lazada.  I ordered one on 14 October and it was scheduled to arrive between 1-6 November.  As time went on I noticed that the order was stuck for days 'Processing'.  After about 10 days I had the option to source one from elsewhere which I took up, thinking I could cancel at Lazada as the item wasn't showing as either packed or shipped.  Had it been, I would have just waited for the one I ordered to arrive.

Contacted Lazada who said that it couldn't be cancelled as it had been picked up by the logistics in Hong Kong (curious as to why the item wasn't thus marked shipped) but they said no problem, COD, just reject the delivery.

Anyway, had a mail from Lazada yesterday saying your item is in Thailand and that it would be delivered by Kerry Courier.  They called this morning and I told them that I would not be accepting the delivery.

Don't really like to do that TBH but the item was processing for a very long period of time and only actually moved to dispatched after I enquired about cancellation.  I have a feeling it must have shipped before that as it arrived in Thailand very shortly after my enquiry and was ready for delivery the next day.

So, for ordering these COD from Lazada, at least in this case:

• I figure it will take about 3 weeks from order to receipt
  • The status of your order might not be up to date
  • The item arrived in Thailand OK and was not impounded by Customs (may be down to the method they use to ship TO Thailand)
  • The item will be delivered by courier
Edited by SooKee

• 7 months later...

Not often too bothered about updates but it's nice to have the home screen on the Shield and Mi exactly the same. I like having the channels and ability to take out all the crap I don't use. Great to be able to have more than one Google account on the Mi too. Google Assistant works surprisingly well on it too, great to just say "TV off" and have it shut down the box and the TV via CEC. Very impressed with the update.

Sent using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, SooKee said:

Quick update for Mi Box 3 owners. The Android 8 Oreo update is now available via System Update.

Thanks for the heads up. I turned on my MiBox this morning, found the 615 MB update via checking system update. But every time I'd click download, it would try and fail with the message, "couldn't download."  Repeated retries produce the same result. Perhaps their servers are overwhelmed at present.

• Like 1

Finally started downloading after about a half hour of trying and probably 20 reclick downloads on my part.

Only then to hang up because apparently I didn't have enough open space on my device to accommodate the 615 MB install file. When I checked, my system showed only 608 MB of available space. So looks like I'm going to be uninstalling some apps first. Good motivation to flush away some of my little used, space hogging apps.

I guess, available space on your device would be a good thing to check prior to commencing the download.

Thanks for the heads up. I turned on my MiBox this morning, found the 615 MB update via checking system update. But every time I'd click download, it would try and fail with the message, "couldn't download."  Repeated retries produce the same result. Perhaps their servers are overwhelmed at present.

Yes I did mine at night so it came down straight away. I think word only got out a day or two ago so I guess there's a lot of load on the servers. Brilliant update IMO.

I actually posted a fresh thread on it as some might miss this due to the thread title here.

Sent using Tapatalk