International Bandwidth Better On Some Providers

StrongView

So, I have a True SME 2Mb account at home. I, like all of you, have been getting horrible international bandwidth since the earthquake two weeks ago in Taiwan. I get 1500ms delays on any connection to the US (where most of my web surfing and work is based), as connections seem to go through Paris. I thought this was the case across the board, and that True would be the provider getting the best Int'l connections since they are one of the major players in country.

I am writing from one of my worksites in Bangkok right now. We have a CSLoxinfo SME 1Mb connection here. I was doing my work, and amazed at the speed of the connection (compared to my home). So I downloaded Ping Plotter to check routing, speed and latency and I see that the connection is MUCH MUCH faster. I am getting 200 - 300 ms delays to the same destination server in the US (www.speakeasy.net). It looks to me like the routing is going somewhere else, though I do not know where right now. The problem on my True connection is the delay of 1500ms in Paris. Loxinfo seems to have their heads on straight on this one. Here is the speed I'm getting from Speakeasy's speed test:

speakeasy.jpg

Here's what I'm seeing on Ping Plotter:

lox_speed.jpg

Thoughts?

Up until a few days ago l wasn't doing so bad on a 1Mb connection but the last couple of evenings most international sites ground to a halt. Last night l gave up and went to bed and got up early to finish what l had to do. Speed today isn't good but l can live with it.

Just did the TV speedtest, 97/256 :o

That's the worst l've ever seen, 800+/400+ is my normal speed. I wanted to try some other speed tests but l couldn't even connect to them.

I emailed my contact @ True and got this response. Looks like the repairs are taking quite a while longer than originally anticipated:

As your problem that you are facing right now , I would like to inform that there are 2 root causes which leads to slow speed and the page can't display.

Firstly, the submarine cables at Taiwan was crashed due to earthquake. Thailand Internet exchange(THIX) and CAT Telcom Public Co.Ltd inform that the submarine cable are still going on repairing by their administrator which will complete at the end of Feburary (More deatils about competetion time frame for each cable have shown below.

Expected Repair Completion Date (Tentative) for :

SMW3 : 15 JAN 2007

FLAG-TYCO : 15 JAN 2007

APCN2 : end of JAN 2007

C2C : FEB 2007

Secondaly, True found that there are boardcast attach DNS Server that leads to the sometimes the page didn't load at all.

Thus, I deeply apologize for any inconvenience this outage may have caused. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Best Regards,

IP Service Support

I just did the TV speedtest from BKK to the Singapore server and get terrible performance... 43kbps down/ 83 up.

However, using the Speakeasy speedtests to the US servers is a lot better. 1316 down/ 388 up.

Not sure what's going on here... before the earthquake i could get a 2mb connection to singapore and less than a meg to the States. Now it seems to be the opposite.

I'm using a 2Mb True home connection.

The Singapore exchanges are pretty overloaded at the moment. Should ease later next week.

Today 11 jan at 4 pm with True Internet in Bangkok i have about 500Kbps download speed, also yesterday evening speed is 690Kbps.

I think maybe some problems about connections solved.

Edgar from Bangkok

On TRUE 2,560/512 I got a "normal" download at around 40 kBps but wit IDA 5.05 goes up to 250 kBps splitt to 8 con! It's not bad for this time and more I truly got a few times only in the past!

On TRUE 2,560/512 I got a "normal" download at around 40 kBps but wit IDA 5.05 goes up to 250 kBps splitt to 8 con! It's not bad for this time and more I truly got a few times only in the past!

small k as in kbps is kilobits per second. So when you sign up for DSL with a speed of 512 kbps its kilobits they are measuring.

There are 8 bits in a byte. Repeat 8 bits in a byte.

large K as in KB/sec is KiloBytes . 1 KB is 8 kb.

Typically transfer speeds are measured in kbs (small b kilobits). Some of these speed programs do the math of dividing by 8 to show KB (large B KiloBytes) to show the size of the files you would be downloading. Typcially KB is the measure of files sizes and programs etc. Hope this clears up some confusion.

Hmm, just got these figures when doing the TV test:

Download Speed: 853 kbps (106.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 231 kbps (28.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

But when going to websites in Europe and the US, it's snailmail all the way !

I wonder, would changing the dns to that "open dns" stuff improve things you think ?

Right now i'm using this:

Primary DNS: 203.113.15.99

Secondary DNS: 203.113.15.100

small k as in kbps is kilobits per second. So when you sign up for DSL with a speed of 512 kbps its kilobits they are measuring.

There are 8 bits in a byte. Repeat 8 bits in a byte.

large K as in KB/sec is KiloBytes . 1 KB is 8 kb.

Typically transfer speeds are measured in kbs (small b kilobits). Some of these speed programs do the math of dividing by 8 to show KB (large B KiloBytes) to show the size of the files you would be downloading. Typcially KB is the measure of files sizes and programs etc. Hope this clears up some confusion.

May you not read right or I wrote not clear enough:

Package from True 2,560 kbsp down and 512 kbps up

download without Download Accellerator 40 kilo Byte per second and with Download Accellerator up to 250 kilo Bytes per second while splitting to 8 different downloads at same time!

So, 1 kilo Byte is 8 kilo bits