Call 1197 - public urged to report cops setting up illegal checkpoints

webfact

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Saw a checkpoint checking emissions a while ago.....first time in my 16 years here.

Wonder where they bought the Exhaust Wands??  Same guy that sold them the Bomb Detectors??

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Krungbin said:
6 hours ago, davehowden said:

So how do you distinguish a legal checkpoint from an illegal one ?

Very good question indeed...

Legal checkpoints will usually have a Gazeebo erected nearby where any fines are paid.

The officer issues a ticket, you take the ticket to a senior officer manning the temporary office, pay the fine and receive a receipt.

Any checkpoints where your being fined, but not being offered a receipt is an illegal checkpoint. 

Traffic cops can pull over individuals for offences and issue tickets, which should then be paid at the local Police station.

2 hours ago, chezy86 said:

If your wearing a helmet and got the correct documentation how do they squeeze you for money ?

I was stopped at a checkpoint last week, and for the first time in 5 years I felt I was being squeezed for money.

I was the only person travelling on the stretch of road at the time. Wearing a helmet as I always do I was flagged over.

Usually production of your driving licence allows you to go on your way, but this time checked my tax and asked for ID and proof of ownership.

Foreigners Thai ID card, copy of passport and extension, copy of log book, even a copy of seperate1st class insurance.....all in order.

They then proceeded to inspect my tyres and that all lights were functional.

I got the distinct impression they were looking for any reason to extort a bit of tea money, but everything was in order.

They appeared disappointed! 

Edited by Tanoshi

1 hour ago, chezy86 said:

A member of the wife’s family is a border cop and it’s just enough for a family to survive. What your saying is correct as we’ve seen in America where cops have a decent salary they’re still bent as a $6 note.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's a whopper of a completely untrue statement.  You just like to read about the bad ones and label the others the same. There  are extreme punishments for cops in the states if trying to collect $$ or bribes. Don't try to compare it to Thailand even slightly. 

Edited by alex8912

4 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

In 25 years I have never seen a police check point for illegal noise or pollution and never have I ever seen a police pull over a vehicle for any infraction what so ever.  Is this actually done? 

I saw an angry cop at a stationary post stop a taxi once on Southern Sukhumvit and at Chocchai 4 I saw a mc cop tell a guy with no helmet to pull over. 

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

and never have I ever seen a police pull over a vehicle for any infraction what so ever.

Try driving on the Chonburi motorway. You'll see that on a daily basis.

Recently I was following a not so new tricked out Yaris near Lad Krabang and thought "Hmm. That car looks too old for a red plate"  The motorcycle policeman must have thought the same as he zoomed by and pulled the guy over.  It is completely plausible that the driver was from a car dealer and was delivering the car to somewhere but...

They also pull over pickups with passengers in the back, uncovered loads etc..

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Try driving on the Chonburi motorway. You'll see that on a daily basis.

Recently I was following a not so new tricked out Yaris near Lad Krabang and thought "Hmm. That car looks too old for a red plate"  The motorcycle policeman must have thought the same as he zoomed by and pulled the guy over.  It is completely plausible that the driver was from a car dealer and was delivering the car to somewhere but...

They also pull over pickups with passengers in the back, uncovered loads etc..

The comment you quoted was from minnehaha, not me. 555

3 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

In 25 years I have never seen a police check point for illegal noise or pollution and never have I ever seen a police pull over a vehicle for any infraction what so ever.  Is this actually done? 

Bangkok - Pattaya motorway is the only place I've seen this happen, often see pick-ups pulled over with 48 labourers in the back.

My personal best on being pulled in road blocks was 8 flaming times on a drive from Buriram to Pattaya.

7 hours ago, davehowden said:

So how do you distinguish a legal checkpoint from an illegal one ?

Well, the article does say :

Acting commissioner and new capital top cop Charnthep Sesawech ordered an end to checkpoints a few weeks ago as his first major policy statement. He saw them as pointless and detrimental in improving the traffic situation.

Which seems to suggest that any checkpoint is illegal/unauthorised in the capital.

That's a whopper of a completely untrue statement.  You just like to read about the bad ones and label the others the same. There  are extreme punishments for cops in the states if trying to collect $$ or bribes. Don't try to compare it to Thailand even slightly. 

Where did I say “all cops in America”. ?. That’s right I didn’t.

7 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Sounds like this guy is on the ball and knows what traffic policing is all about, well done to that man.

*Illegal parking

*Obstruction while parking  (Hard one that)

*Bike riders with no helmets

*Running red lights

*Vehicles running the wrong way down roads.

Can he please add

idiot drivers tail gating

Idiot drivers speeding

Can we come back next month and see how he is getting on

Keep Up The Good Work My Man.

ALSO motorbikes riding on pavements....4 or 5 on a motorbike.....10 plus back of pickups...motorbikes with NO MIRRORS/ rear number plate....out of date tax discs in car/pickup windows.....noisy exhausts....undertaking (this is suppose to be illegal in Thailand)

Edited by garbolino
after thoughts

2 minutes ago, chezy86 said:

Where did I say “all cops in America”. ?. That’s right I didn’t.

Where did he say "all cops in America"?  That's right, he didn't either.

There are corrupt police everywhere.  Some countries have more than others.  Like here in Thailand.

Where did he say "all cops in America"?  That's right, he didn't either.   There are corrupt police everywhere.  Some countries have more than others.  Like here in Thailand.

“You just like to read about the bad ones and label them the same” quote!!!!. Pretty much does infer all if you ask me

7 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Sounds like this guy is on the ball and knows what traffic policing is all about, well done to that man.

*Illegal parking

*Obstruction while parking  (Hard one that)

*Running red lights

Can he please add

idiot drivers tail gating

Idiot drivers speeding

Can we come back next month and see how he is getting on

Keep Up The Good Work My Man.

All talk He be lucky to be in a job next month. God intentions though He is spot on what he says

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Anonymity surely you jest sir !!

You shop the cops for illegal activity, later they will quietly sort you out.

Col i have been all around the world this would have to be the biggest joke i have ever seen Cops just out breaking the rules and  committing  Robbery I wont be making any Phone calls Want to live a bit longer

4 hours ago, bananafish said:

Bring this to Chiang Mai, good christ it's a minefield out there with police fleecing motorcyclists every single day. 

Got stopped 3 times driving around the moat lol

5 hours ago, fullcave said:

Tail gating is the way the locals intecate they want to pass. 

Blocking the passing lane generally results in tail gating.

In most countries they merely flash the lights but Thailand is special. :coffee1:

not as special as they try to think, just incorrigible

9 hours ago, webfact said:

But he has also been urging cops to get out of their stations and booths and do their job in improving the traffic situation in the following areas:

*Illegal parking

*Obstruction while parking

*Running red lights

All good stuff . . . this is encouraging news about the new top-cop's objectives.

But then TNews has to go and spoil it all with this. It makes me feel like I've had my head in the sand, not to have grasped the level to which the capital city's police had sunk. I guess, like most people seeing this awful stuff for the first time, the first question is, "What are the station superintendents doing, whilst their 'boys' are playing at Dick Turpin?" And, then you discover that they, the 'bosses', have actually organised the check-points. So, who the fxxk is controlling them? And them, and them?

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Tnews said that since the checkpoints had stopped - and there is much anecdotal evidence to say that has happened in the capital to date in line with the chief's wishes - there has been an increase in infractions.

So Jiraphat is stepping up his work to get officers busy in arresting and fining offenders.

But to assist in the eradication of checkpoints a hotline has been assigned for the public to report any suspicious or illegal roadblocks. The public can call 1197 or the regular 191 number anonymously to report the police - to the police.

So, if the police can't police the police, there's a hotline so that Joe Public can do it. That gets a PURPLE!

This could only be Thailand - Amazing Thailand

I'm sending my grown-up kids (UK) a link to this thread. They will laugh their socks off, until they realise that this farcical episode of Z Cars is actually happening and might cost their poor old man a few hard-earned bucks.

trouble is that,

after receiving your Ticket

- complain all you like, but the system leaves it up to Police ( the OIC of the Block'ade' ) discretion, as to placement....

it's really no different to other countries, except for how many guns are being pointed in your face

3 hours ago, PAIBKK said:

With their trained eye, they will mention that:

• The tires have the wrong pressure.
  • You weren't driving at the extreme left side of the road.
  • Not signaling (to the left) when stopping for the police checkpoint.
  • Your bike is dirty and needs to be cleaned as there is some dust on the headlight(s).
  • Not having the orginal parts (modification of mirrors, bar handles, buddyseat) or missing an air valve cap...

And many more excuses to pull you over and fine you...

I would say, turn it around.

Squeeze some money out of the bribing cops by telling to call 1197 and report them, or let them pay up a 1,000 THB or so... I really want to see the face of that cop... :w00t: :cheesy:

I've been caught by a team of highway cops. I was exceeding the speed limit for sure, by about 50ks on a  highway.  They had no radar. They were very polite. I paid 400baht, or 100 each, because I know how low these guys get paid, I didn't mind paying cash. 

They let me go. Urged me to slow down. 

Job done. 

I slowed down. Fined something I could afford and helped them out.

People call this corruption. I call it cooperation. Its what works at the time. 

Some people say this can escalate to unacceptable proportions. Sure when murders are being covered up etc. Very bad. In the same way that marijuana smoking does NOT lead to heroin abuse, small time cooperation does not lead to big time corruption. 

The various systems we live in are full of much worse things. Far worse corruption. 

If we must and have the time and the energy, lets concentrate on what really 'is' rotten in Society. 

That has to do with false flag terrorism projects, international full scale murder committed in wars and so forth. Monopolies in Asia countries like Thailand that keep the people on a slave level of existence.

These things need exposing. 

Edited by Maggusoil
grammar and punctuation

2 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I'd love to hear the conversation with most of the foreigners I know.

hello

hello

tamruad mai mee

arai na?

tamruad mai mee Silom Road

teelak you me help phone tamruat

It goes like this:

You you you falang hab papuuuuuuuu mai?

-excuse me?

You you papuuuuu

-excuse me, can you speak english sir?

papuuuu papuuuuu, dliaivuuuu papuuuuur dlaivuuuuu papuuuu