Call 1197 - public urged to report cops setting up illegal checkpoints

webfact

14 hours ago, electric said:

Buriram ringroad. Mid morning. Me and my wife enjoying a little drive, both properly seat-belted up. Had the road to ourselves.

Stopped at a police checkpoint. "Sawatdee khup officer. "

"Sawatdee khup .... 200 baht. Lady not wear seat-belt."

Was an interesting experience. I've never seen my missus question anyone in uniform before.

Phwrrrrr .... faster than speed of light, two horns popped out of her skull, and she arked up bigtime at the cop for about 30 seconds.

No idea what she said of course, but when the tirade was over, the cop politely waved us on as though nothing occured.

No money changed hands. Guess he thought he'd try it on. Prick.

I was so proud of her ..... although the horns bit has prompted me to hide all sharp objects previously laying about the house.

You know you have to ask this question? Why do people in Thailand break the law and have no respect for it? It is because the police do exactly that? They also break the law and have no respect for it. But good on your wife She stopped  a thieving cop from getting easy money

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/25/2017 at 11:42 PM, masuk said:

I bought a brand new Suzuki, and red plates had been fitted.   

Half an hour later I was stopped just out of town and hit for 100baht.    The reason was that it was 'out of district'.

Was also told that red plate cars could not be driven after dark.  True?

It took 6 weeks for the white plates to arrive.

I think the cop got mixed up between red plate regs and 'no plate' regs. I'm going back over 3yrs, when we bought our car and, unless rules/laws have changed since then, our red plate was OK anywhere, any time. It was if you were 'no plate' that you mustn't drive in the dark or out of district. Scraping the memory barrel a bit, here, but like so much of Thai traffic/driving litigation, it's an issue that begs to be sorted, applying as it does, to every single new vehicle or scooter purchased. For Christ's sake, someone - in the Ministry of Sleep - get some clear rules, out there in the public domain.

4 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Just booking riders with no helmets would be a full time job on it's own.

where would you start?   Schools?  Every Soi?      Replies on a Postcard.

Kids under 15 can't be prosecuted or fined, which is why their allowed to continue on their journey, with no helmets, just contributing to the fatality statistics on Thailand's roads.

Life and safety has little value here, it's how much you can make while alive that adds to your 'face'.

3 hours ago, Ossy said:

I think the cop got mixed up between red plate regs and 'no plate' regs. I'm going back over 3yrs, when we bought our car and, unless rules/laws have changed since then, our red plate was OK anywhere, any time. It was if you were 'no plate' that you mustn't drive in the dark or out of district. Scraping the memory barrel a bit, here, but like so much of Thai traffic/driving litigation, it's an issue that begs to be sorted, applying as it does, to every single new vehicle or scooter purchased. For Christ's sake, someone - in the Ministry of Sleep - get some clear rules, out there in the public domain.

Rules have not changed and you were of course wrong 3 years ago as 10 years ago and as today.

1 hour ago, EcigAmateur said:

Rules have not changed and you were of course wrong 3 years ago as 10 years ago and as today.

You couldn't direct me to the rules, could you? Or briefly outline them for the benefit of all.

I don't know. Since I have moved here I must have been stopped with my Thai Wife at Road Side Checks at least 100 times and to my knowledge I have never been fleeced by the police even one time. Although one cop tried to make a case because we had a dirty motor bike which we all laughed off.

But then every time I have been stopped I have also always been within the law. Proper Helmets! Proper Motor Bike or Car Insurance. Proper Driver's License. No drinking and driving. No Seeding. No running Red Lights. 

So it makes me think that if people are getting fleeced a these Check Points, it must be people who are not within the law. No helmet. Running a Red Light. Speeding. No Insurance. Not a valid drivers license. And so on.

So now it brings into question as to who is really getting fleeced here? The Guy who got caught for a traffic violation, and pays the Fine on the spot to a Traffic Cop at a reduced rate? Or the Traffic Cop's Higher up Bosses or Courts, who do not receive all these Fines collected by the Traffic Cop?

On 10/25/2017 at 5:23 AM, davehowden said:

So how do you distinguish a legal checkpoint from an illegal one ?

Real checkpoints have a senior officer sitting in a chair under a  'tent' by the side of the  road.

1 or 2 cops on their own is a shakedown.

On 27.10.2017 at 4:53 AM, Tanoshi said:

Kids under 15 can't be prosecuted or fined, which is why their allowed to continue on their journey, with no helmets, just contributing to the fatality statistics on Thailand's roads.

Life and safety has little value here, it's how much you can make while alive that adds to your 'face'.

But if the police would be willing to do their work and not just wanted to collect money, they could probably confiscate the motorbike and maybe even take the children to the police station where they could then be picked up by their parents. If they would do this regularly then probably the parents would not allow the children to drive like this anymore

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

But if the police would be willing to do their work and not just wanted to collect money, they could probably confiscate the motorbike and maybe even take the children to the police station where they could then be picked up by their parents. If they would do this regularly then probably the parents would not allow the children to drive like this anymore

A lot of parents don't have any choice.

They have to work, kids have to attend school.

There's no local transportation system in large areas of Thailand.

That's just the way it is in underdeveloped Countries.

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:55 AM, Ossy said:

Trade plates some with a set of restrictions and applications for trade plates require deposits and monthly renewals. Vehicles bearing trade plates are only allowed to be used on public roads during certain hours of the day.

Trade plates are also used by foreign vehicles without proper permits or documents from their own countries to gain permission to enter Thailand when clearance is authorized by customs.
http://www.samuitimes.com/thai-number-plates-explained/

Full laws can be found in;

Motor Vehicle Act, B.E. 2522 (1979 CE) and the Land Transport Act, B.E. 2522.

31 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Trade plates some with a set of restrictions and applications for trade plates require deposits and monthly renewals. Vehicles bearing trade plates are only allowed to be used on public roads during certain hours of the day.

Trade plates are also used by foreign vehicles without proper permits or documents from their own countries to gain permission to enter Thailand when clearance is authorized by customs.
http://www.samuitimes.com/thai-number-plates-explained/

Full laws can be found in;

Motor Vehicle Act, B.E. 2522 (1979 CE) and the Land Transport Act, B.E. 2522.

Thanks, Tanoshi. There are always going to be you helpful types in the world and sadly, there are always going to be MrP's. Just as well we practised posters know which to listen to.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

A lot of parents don't have any choice.

They have to work, kids have to attend school.

There's no local transportation system in large areas of Thailand.

That's just the way it is in underdeveloped Countries.

That's still no reason to ride with 3 or more people on a motorbike and without helmets.

When i went to school i had to take the bus, this thread here is specifically about Bangkok, where taking the public transport is an option.

Outside of Bangkok taking a bicycle would also be an option (inside BKK i would consider a bicycle as too dangerous)

31 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's still no reason to ride with 3 or more people on a motorbike and without helmets.

When i went to school i had to take the bus, this thread here is specifically about Bangkok, where taking the public transport is an option.

Outside of Bangkok taking a bicycle would also be an option (inside BKK i would consider a bicycle as too dangerous)

Thais don't make there decisions based on reasons to get children to school, there made on options how to get to school.

2 hours ago, Ossy said:

Ask a civil question and what do you get?

I'll take that as a no. What have you been doing for 3 years - working 16 hours a day? It takes  1 month to learn to read Thai, less if you're  not working. Do you speak it? Not very wise to buy a car, and not understand the rules then.

Maybe we'll get an apology for telling us the wrong things about these red plates.

On 10/26/2017 at 4:07 PM, electric said:

Buriram ringroad. Mid morning. Me and my wife enjoying a little drive, both properly seat-belted up. Had the road to ourselves.

Stopped at a police checkpoint. "Sawatdee khup officer. "

"Sawatdee khup .... 200 baht. Lady not wear seat-belt."

Was an interesting experience. I've never seen my missus question anyone in uniform before.

Phwrrrrr .... faster than speed of light, two horns popped out of her skull, and she arked up bigtime at the cop for about 30 seconds.

No idea what she said of course, but when the tirade was over, the cop politely waved us on as though nothing occured.

No money changed hands. Guess he thought he'd try it on. Prick.

I was so proud of her ..... although the horns bit has prompted me to hide all sharp objects previously laying about the house.

And you sat there like a ........? Are you scared of policemen or what? I'd have told him where to go.

where was the checkpoint setup ?

The usual spots of BR outside soi 9, Klang at 2nd road intersection,+ threpaya. And last night corner 3rd road and Klang a 2 man team maybe to stop non helmet wearers and drinkers, wasn't the usual 1 man tea money outfit. 1 farang completely drunk was stopped plus several Thais as I passed

On 25/10/2017 at 9:18 AM, shaurene said:

Something needs to be done about coaches and bus driving on the right lane and staying there. We have to be careful having to get past them on their left side. Also have you noticed when driving behind a bus, how many have only 1 wheel at the rear on their double wheel.The companies do it to save drag, rubber and fuel.

The single wheel on the rear axle is called a tag axle and this is common on all large coaches even in Australia and other countries

38 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The single wheel on the rear axle is called a tag axle and this is common on all large coaches even in Australia and other countries

Correct. To explain further.

Most modern long distance, rear engine, single deck tour coaches, with a full fuel tank, and carrying 45+ pax with luggage, are very near the maximum weight allowable for a single rear axle with dual tyres on each side.

To avoid potential overweight problems, some manufacturers include a second rear axle to share the weight. This "lazy" or "tag" axle is usually only a single tyre each side.

Due to their considerable weight, many double deckers will have dual tyres on this lazy axle.

• 3 weeks later...