Do all Smart TV's have Wi Fi connectivity?

giddyup

Considering buying a LG Smart TV 49", model 49LJ550T, but can't find any info on it's wi fi connectivity, or is this standard on Smart TV's? This full HD model seems like a pretty good buy at around 15,500 baht.

Why don't you just look in the manual?  http://www.lg.com/au/support/support-product/lg-49LJ550T   (Manuals & Documents)

That's the Australian variant obviously so check with your supplier which one he's offering. See the warning note in the attached for which models are affected.

Oh, and.....Google is your friend!

Personally I wouldn't even consider buying a Smart "anything" in 2017 that didn't have Wireless connectivity :shock1:

Capture.JPG.76a19a19833946095363629ed6dab469.JPG

Edited by VBF

I have noticed that all of the new TV's I've looked at have all the inputs at the rear. As I use a flash drive to transfer all my downloaded programs onto, it seems like it would be quite awkward to be using the USB input, especially if the TV is against a wall. Could I overcome this by using a short USB extension lead?

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

It seems to make more sense to have a device like a Roku than pay extra for a Smart TV. Am I correct?

You are correct, a set top box has more options than a smart tv. Apps have their limitations on smart tv.

• Like 1

I have True Visions Satellite and a computer attached to my Sony smart TV.  A neighbor cut my fiber optic cable and squirrels chew through it regularly so my INTERNET GOES OUT.  If that happens I have the satellite.  If the Satellite and fiber optic cable go down I can hook up my phone to the computer and use AIS HOOQ on the TV or Netflix for HD TV.  I can also use my phone to create a hotspot and do wifi through that.  To recap the Satellite and fiber optic cable go to my smart TV with a LAN connection.  The computer goes to my smart TV with a HDMI connection and my phone goes to my TV through the computer.  The TV has 4 HDMI connections in one optical audio, headphone jacks and 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports.  I have two portable hard drives hooked up to the TV for storage of movies and albums and a sound bar and woofer.  Everything is connected so I can stream music from my phone to the sound bar alone or video from my phone to the TV.  TV accepts a PS 3 or 4 controller and I also have a sony PS3 hooked to the TV and it also plays games by itself.  Android TV has a good selection of downloadable apps.  

9 hours ago, VBF said:

Yes! I do it all the time for the same reason. It also means that you're not constantly plugging in and out of a USB socket on the TV motherboard - I'd rather wear out a cheap cable than my TV's motherboard.

Agreed. For just a thumb drive or stick, it's easy because they don't use much/any power, and they'll work in any USB socket via a USB extension cable. And you could even have a USB hub that plugs into the back your TV and then gives you several USB plugs on the front. Works great for low power stuff like mice, keyboard, etc.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The problem with Smart TVs, as they're known, is they can pretty much stagnate after being released. Depending on the manufacturer, they may have their own manufacturer specific app store and not offer direct access to the Google Play Store. In that case, the manufacturer is often slow to update apps and offer new ones, potentially leaving the user out in the cold.

If I was going to buy a Smart TV, I'd make sure the manufacturer/model in question has full access to the Google Play Store, meaning the Google Play Store app comes preinstalled on the TV. And if the TV didnt offer that, I personally wouldn't buy it. Although, you can still add on a plug-in streaming device to a Smart TV and let the streaming device handle the streaming, and ignore the Smart TV part of the TV.

[I made that mistake once buying a TCL smart TV in Thailand, thinking I could just install any Android apps as I do on all my other devices. But it turned out, the TCL TV was a Chinese market variety that didn't have access to the Google Play Store, and TCL's own built-in app store was a horrible joke of old, crappy apps and a bunch of useless Chinese stuff. And trying to sideload regular apps on that TV often caused a variety of problems. The TV itself is fine, but now every time I turn it on, I have to wait for the "smart" system of the TV to load, which is a bunch of stuff I don't use or want.... And I stream thru an attached device instead.]

Generally, you don't change your TV every year or two, but media and streaming technology is always changing rapidly. So in general, to take advantage of and keep up with that, it probably makes more sense to just buy a good quality, up to spec regular TV, and let the "smart" part come from a far less expensive streaming box or dongle.

The only fly in that plan is the Thai government's recent decision to ban the import of streaming boxes that aren't licensed by the NBTC, which makes buying and potentially importing such a device a bit more complicated and risky than it used to be. Since most of the quality, reputable streaming boxes/devices don't originate in Thailand and may need to be imported, unless a local supplier can be found.

Last time I was TV shopping here about a year ago, I came away with the impression that only a couple of the main TV brands here were selling Smart TVs with the Google Play Store pre-installed, and most were not. Maybe someone who's shopped more recently can update on that point???

Pretty much spot on, but on the importing of Set Top Boxes, there is no problem if bought through Lazada, Lazada sort everything out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vogie said:

Pretty much spot on, but on the importing of Set Top Boxes, there is no problem if bought through Lazada, Lazada sort everything out.

That depends, and requires some attention to detail when shopping.

Some of the stuff sold there from inside Thailand is old technology or not very good or Chinese market stuff. Some of the items sold there are imported and require payment in advance, meaning the buyer is on the hook if something gets seized or hung up in Customs.

Ideally, you'd want to buy a good quality, original equipment device where a Lazada seller is importing it from abroad, but is willing to accept COD payment.  Or, buy direct from abroad and handle the shipping in a way that hopefully doesn't see the item go missing while en route.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The problem with Smart TVs, as they're known, is they can pretty much stagnate after being released. Depending on the manufacturer, they may have their own manufacturer specific app store and not offer direct access to the Google Play Store. In that case, the manufacturer is often slow to update apps and offer new ones, potentially leaving the user out in the cold.

If I was going to buy a Smart TV, I'd make sure the manufacturer/model in question has full access to the Google Play Store, meaning the Google Play Store app comes preinstalled on the TV. And if the TV didnt offer that, I personally wouldn't buy it. Although, you can still add on a plug-in streaming device to a Smart TV and let the streaming device handle the streaming, and ignore the Smart TV part of the TV.

[I made that mistake once buying a TCL smart TV in Thailand, thinking I could just install any Android apps as I do on all my other devices. But it turned out, the TCL TV was a Chinese market variety that didn't have access to the Google Play Store, and TCL's own built-in app store was a horrible joke of old, crappy apps and a bunch of useless Chinese stuff. And trying to sideload regular apps on that TV often caused a variety of problems. The TV itself is fine, but now every time I turn it on, I have to wait for the "smart" system of the TV to load, which is a bunch of stuff I don't use or want.... And I stream thru an attached device instead.]

Generally, you don't change your TV every year or two, but media and streaming technology is always changing rapidly. So in general, to take advantage of and keep up with that, it probably makes more sense to just buy a good quality, up to spec regular TV, and let the "smart" part come from a far less expensive streaming box or dongle.

The only fly in that plan is the Thai government's recent decision to ban the import of streaming boxes that aren't licensed by the NBTC, which makes buying and potentially importing such a device a bit more complicated and risky than it used to be. Since most of the quality, reputable streaming boxes/devices don't originate in Thailand and may need to be imported, unless a local supplier can be found.

Last time I was TV shopping here about a year ago, I came away with the impression that only a couple of the main TV brands here were selling Smart TVs with the Google Play Store pre-installed, and most were not. Maybe someone who's shopped more recently can update on that point???

My Sony has updated 5 times in the past two years.  Android TV's interface exhaustive content that TVs from Sharp and Philips will match, there will soon be a Sony-only add-on. All UK Sony Android TVs now have built-in YouView services, too.

With Android TV and YouView, Sony has at last got smart TV right – thanks to Google.

Sharp and TP-Link's Philips have also joined Sony in embracing the Android TV OS from Google, so it's hardly an industry standard just yet, but Android TV is polished enough to put it in the running.

It's not just in TVs though, you'll find connected boxes, like the Nvidia Shield and Razer Forge TV sporting Google's TV OS too.

Samsung Tizen interface monitors what you watch/use, suggests new sources, and allows some customization. A dynamically changing "Recent" box in the far-left corner cycles between recently used apps, TV channels etc. In the US, there's Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, HBO Go / HBO Now, YouTube, Spotify and Vudu. (Want even more apps? Check out our 10 best Samsung Smart TV apps gallery.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/6-best-smart-tv-platforms-in-the-world-today-1120795/4

I use a VPN on my Sony.  It's running Marshmallow Android 6. now.  The big improvement was external storage so you can download as much stuff as you want and store it in portable drives.  I've been quite happy with the many updates to Android TV in the last two years.

Seems to me it is much easier to use an old computer instead of a set top box as it does 100% more and can integrate your phone into your TV if you have expensive smart phones (I'm using Samsung S7 and Note 4)

The picture quality is great in both 4K and upgraded older stuff with Sony's computer making older content look much better by computer enhancing.  Sound is lacking but a sound box and woofer take care of that.

Edited by amvet
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That depends, and requires some attention to detail when shopping.

Some of the stuff sold there from inside Thailand is old technology or not very good or Chinese market stuff. Some of the items sold there are imported and require payment in advance, meaning the buyer is on the hook if something gets seized or hung up in Customs.

Ideally, you'd want to buy a good quality, original equipment device where a Lazada seller is importing it from abroad, but is willing to accept COD payment.  Or, buy direct from abroad and handle the shipping in a way that hopefully doesn't see the item go missing while en route.

I have just bought a zidoo x10 from Lazada, shipped from abroad and cash on delivery, works like a dream. I hear what you're saying though and I would not buy anything that was not COD.

40 minutes ago, amvet said:

My Sony has updated 5 times in the past two years.  Android TV's interface exhaustive content that TVs from Sharp and Philips will match, there will soon be a Sony-only add-on. All UK Sony Android TVs now have built-in YouView services, too.

As best as I could recall from my TV shopping last year, Sony was one of the main brands found in Thai retailers where their smart TVs come with the standard Android/Google Play support. I think, a year later now, Toshiba or Panasonic might have been another....

Someone living here also has to be careful to distinguish between what comes with a brand's TVs in the West vs. what comes with them here in Asia/Thailand. In the U.S., if you buy a TCL smart TV, you'll often find their TVs running the Roku smart TV interface, just like if you had plugged in a Roku box to the TV. You buy a similar TCL Smart TV here in Thailand, no Roku OS to be found and instead Chinese cr*p apps and no Google Play Store support.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As best as I could recall from my TV shopping last year, Sony was one of the main brands found in Thai retailers where their smart TVs come with the standard Android/Google Play support. I think, a year later now, Toshiba or Panasonic might have been another....

Someone living here also has to be careful to distinguish between what comes with a brand's TVs in the West vs. what comes with them here in Asia/Thailand. In the U.S., if you buy a TCL smart TV, you'll often find their TVs running the Roku smart TV interface, just like if you had plugged in a Roku box to the TV. You buy a similar TCL Smart TV here in Thailand, no Roku OS to be found and instead Chinese cr*p apps and no Google Play Store support.

I bought my Sony in Thailand and all the content is available from google play store or you can download it using APK files and an application called side load.  A VPN is essential for things like Netflix if you want USA or UK content.  I haven't seen any Chinese content from Sony.  The Sony store also downloaded me 2 TB of movies and concerts on a portable HD for free.

Edited by amvet

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Agreed. For just a thumb drive or stick, it's easy because they don't use much/any power, and they'll work in any USB socket via a USB extension cable. And you could even have a USB hub that plugs into the back your TV and then gives you several USB plugs on the front. Works great for low power stuff like mice, keyboard, etc.

My turn to agree!  My original comment was based on the premise that a given disk drive had already been tried and tested in a given USB socket. In that instance, introducing a 30cm high quality USB extension wouldn't (and didn't) cause any problems. Certainly the gent on Sony's help-desk was quite impressed with my reasoning!

I've never actually tried plugging a hub into a TV USB...never needed to...I assume from your comment that I could if it became necessary..

16 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have noticed that all of the new TV's I've looked at have all the inputs at the rear. As I use a flash drive to transfer all my downloaded programs onto, it seems like it would be quite awkward to be using the USB input, especially if the TV is against a wall. Could I overcome this by using a short USB extension lead?

Get one of these.

Personally, I'd recommend a new TV with both WiFi and wired ethernet, and you don't really have to pay a lot extra for these features. I got a Samsung 55" FHD (UA55K5500) for 17,500 THB and it has both WiFi and ethernet - I use the ethernet, along with a whole lot of embedded apps (incl. Netflix, Synology, ),  three HDMI inputs and two USB inputs.

I don't think I'd get embedded Android unless the TV had a decent amount of RAM and ROM and was running 7.x? Better to separate that functionality out with a stand-alone box, maybe?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

Yes you can as I do. Please remember to plug in your flash drive before turning on the TV and remove the flash drive after you have turned off your TV.

Went to buy a couple of TVs 2, 3 years ago. Went in expecting to simply buy a standard HD TV; I was not interested in 'smart' features. I was looking for circa 55" and one slightly smaller. 

Bottom line, the prices on the smart TVs were cheaper than the few they had that were not smart. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a decent sized TV today without all the smart features. 

With that said, I still don't use the smart features, though I have the TV connected to the internet via ethernet for updates, or in case I want to use the smart features. I use an Apple TV or my iPad for all my streaming to the TV. 

2 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Get one of these.

Are TVs sold in the Thai market typically coming with USB3 ports, as in the hub you've linked to here?

My TCL Smart TV from a year ago came, along with its HDMI ports, only with two USB2 ports (the kind with the black-colored tab in the port), as opposed to the newer and higher power USB3 ports (the kind with the blue colored tab in the port).

AFAIK, there's no advantage to using a USB3 hub and cable if it's being plugged into a USB2 port.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AFAIK, there's no advantage to using a USB3 hub and cable if it's being plugged into a USB2 port.

True... I just bought one recently as I upgraded my PC with a multi-port USB 3.0 card and bought the hub to handle my external HDD's.

It came with a good long (about 400-500 mm) USB extension cable which would be ideal for use with a TV as your USB drives/flash drives etc could be mounted in the hub on the same piece of furniture that the TV would be sitting on.

To be honest, USB 2.0 would be all you really need to handle media files.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Personally, I'd recommend a new TV with both WiFi and wired ethernet, and you don't really have to pay a lot extra for these features. I got a Samsung 55" FHD (UA55K5500) for 17,500 THB and it has both WiFi and ethernet - I use the ethernet, along with a whole lot of embedded apps (incl. Netflix, Synology, ),  three HDMI inputs and two USB inputs.

So it's a Samsung Smart TV then, since you mention it having internet connectivity and built-in apps? Do Samsung Smart TVs sold here come with access to Samsung's own proprietary app store for TVs, or they just come with a set of preinstalled apps that you can not add to?

If the Samsung TVs are using Samsung's own app store, how's the range of apps available from Samsung compared to the broader Android TV store? And can you access apps/services intended for audiences outside Thailand, like apps specifically for U.S. (Amazon, Hulu) or UK services (BBC, etc)?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

This image below is illustrative of the type of concern I have about having a smart TV that relies on the TV manufacturer's own app store -- which probably is more likely to be geo-restricted than Android at large.

But, I've never owned a Samsung Smart TV, so I don't know if it's possible or easy/hard to avoid these kinds of geo restrictions when it comes to the apps they offer:

I gather, in checking, Samsung Smart TVs run their own Tizen operating system and rely on Samsung's own TV app store.

59f2e341682f6_2017-10-2714_37.jpg.de88cd57fd1fec1821c226775d76d517.jpg

25 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So it's a Samsung Smart TV then, since you mention it having internet connectivity and built-in apps? Do Samsung Smart TVs sold here come with access to Samsung's own proprietary app store for TVs, or they just come with a set of preinstalled apps that you can not add to?

If the Samsung TVs are using Samsung's own app store, how's the range of apps available from Samsung compared to the broader Android TV store? And can you access apps/services intended for audiences outside Thailand, like apps specifically for U.S. (Amazon, Hulu) or UK services (BBC, etc)?

It depends on the model. Some Sammy TV's come with Google PS and some with Tizen. From reviews, the new Tizen TV's work great and have a good selection of Apps.

IMO, if you have Android phones you would want the TV Android as well. Keep it simple..  

Personally, I use a MAC, an LG Smart TV with an Android box and Chromecast plugged into it. LG's App store sucks, but their TV screens are hard to beat.

I bought my LG 55" 4K TV from Lazada when HomePro was selling it for 99,000 and Lazada for 30,000. Should have bought 2.....

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This image below is illustrative of the type of concern I have about having a smart TV that relies on the TV manufacturer's own app store -- which probably is more likely to be geo-restricted than Android at large.

But, I've never owned a Samsung Smart TV, so I don't know if it's possible or easy/hard to avoid these kinds of geo restrictions when it comes to the apps they offer:

I gather, in checking, Samsung Smart TVs run their own Tizen operating system and rely on Samsung's own TV app store.

59f2e341682f6_2017-10-2714_37.jpg.de88cd57fd1fec1821c226775d76d517.jpg

I think in 2017 Android TV is the gold standard for both apps and functionality.  My Sony has USB 3 and I bought it 3 years ago.