is possible to get 1 year extension visa for "non-o" by showing 200k?

Hey guys,

I was talking with a friend recently regarding visa matters and extensions,

As far as I knew that to get Non-O extension for 1 year for married guys with Thai ladies,

besides the regular paper work, should show the evidence of possession of 400k THB,

this friend told in the context of talking about someone's else case, if have kids, just 200k THB and be saved into the account for at least 2 months,

this would be accepted to get the one year extension, I never heard about this, and always hear about the well-known 400k and for 3 months in your bank acc.

if anyone knew about this, or had any similar experience in this 200k matter (for someone married and has 3 Thai kids), all paper works in place, please advise,

Thanks.

Your friend is mistaken. It is 400K if applying on the basis of marriage or as a parent. If you are a parent then the funds only need to be in the account on the day you apply. If you are married it's 2 months. If you're a married parent you should only need the funds in the account on the day you apply, but that might be down to the office you apply at.

• Like 1

The answers above are, I believe, accurate. The only possible exception might be someone who has been on extensions continuously for a very long time. The required bank balance was a long time ago less than today, and the law that increased the figure allowed those who could previously stay on the lower figure to continue unchanged.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The answers above are, I believe, accurate. The only possible exception might be someone who has been on extensions continuously for a very long time. The required bank balance was a long time ago less than today, and the law that increased the figure allowed those who could previously stay on the lower figure to continue unchanged.

That so-called grandfather clause continues to apply to the retirement extension but not to the marriage extension.

Police Order 327/2557, clauses 2.22 and 2.18

8 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

My understanding on that extension is 400k in a Thai bank account in applicants name. 400k has to be in there at least 3 months prior. Never heard about 200k and 2 month seasoning only. Ever 

Know nothing about the married one but think the 800,000 bt for the other one only has to be seasoned for 2 months for the initial application.....3 months after that.

The visa rules changed in 2006 and before it was 200,000 Baht. I think if you had 2006 already an extension of stay based on marriage with 200,000 Baht in your bank account and you got the extensions consecutive, then there is a chance that you still need only 200,000 Baht. I know somebody who got it in 2007 or 2008 with only 200,000 Baht but it was a long discussion with the immigration. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, andy9469 said:

The visa rules changed in 2006 and before it was 200,000 Baht. I think if you had 2006 already an extension of stay based on marriage with 200,000 Baht in your bank account and you got the extensions consecutive, then there is a chance that you still need only 200,000 Baht. I know somebody who got it in 2007 or 2008 with only 200,000 Baht but it was a long discussion with the immigration. 

It was changed from 250k baht in the bank to 400k baht in 2003.

The only clause that I am aware of to allow people to apply at the lower amount was for a period of one year.

The change in 2006 was that the spouse income could be used and that the money could be in a joint account but that was rescinded in 2008.

• Like 1

Thanks to all of your contribution guys, he is not in retirement age yet, pls take a note,

The person he is a father of 3 Thai kids, and all paper at hands, his elder daughter 12 years old, issued Thai ID card already,

as he told me, this is first time using Non-o visa, and needs to extend it to 1 year, at his 2 bank accounts cash a bit less than 400k,

As I understood in above, if someone as father of Thai kids, he just needs to arrange the full amount that required (400k) on the day he is going to apply for the extension, am I right? as told me his current non-o visa will be expired on the 28th Nov. 

He never used non-o before, was using his job visa, you can say this is the first time he's applying for this, so in case required to provide the full amount 400k, he may borrow to complete as shown in his bank acc. then apply? in case must wait for 3 months, then he may apply for another 60 days extension and apply again?

Any advises in this case, or some usef suggestions would be highly appreciated,

thanks

Edited by waxpro

Just to clarify - is he married to a Thai - or only has Thai children?  I ask because if having money-problems, marriage to a Thai opens up a 1-year Multiple-Entry Non-O visa from Savanahket Laos (and others) without financial proof.

But even if not married to a Thai, he could still get a single-entry 90-day Non-O at some nearby consulates based on the children - and could even extend that for 60-days - providing more time to top-up the bank (if possible) and/or repeat that process.  While here on those entries, he could extend for the year, as soon as he qualified financially.

Edited by JackThompson

4 hours ago, waxpro said:

As I understood in above, if someone as father of Thai kids, he just needs to arrange the full amount that required (400k) on the day he is going to apply for the extension, am I right? as told me his current non-o visa will be expired on the 28th Nov. 

The rules say that a parent only needs to have funds in the account on the day they apply. I have applied as a married parent at two different offices on that basis. 

Extensions can be applied for anytime within the last 30 days of the 90. He should apply as early as possible. The extension will start when the current permission to stay ends regardless of how early he applies.

he may borrow to complete as shown in his bank acc. then apply?

He wouldn't need to prove where the money came from.

in case must wait for 3 months, then he may apply for another 60 days extension and apply again?

He shouldn't have to wait 3 months. At worst it should be 2 months. Yes he could apply for a 60 day extension and then apply for a 1 year extension once the funds had been in his account for 2 months.

at his 2 bank accounts cash a bit less than 400k,

It's possible that the office will insist that the funds are in one account in his name, although that isn't a hard and fast rule.

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

The rules say that a parent only needs to have funds in the account on the day they apply. I have applied as a married parent at two different offices on that basis. 

Extensions can be applied for anytime within the last 30 days of the 90. He should apply as early as possible. The extension will start when the current permission to stay ends regardless of how early he applies.

He wouldn't need to prove where the money came from.

He shouldn't have to wait 3 months. At worst it should be 2 months. Yes he could apply for a 60 day extension and then apply for a 1 year extension once the funds had been in his account for 2 months.

It's possible that the office will insist that the funds are in one account in his name, although that isn't a hard and fast rule.

Thanks for all these clarifications,

Yes, he is married with Thai national, and has 3 kids with her, his elder daughter issued ID card as he told me since last year,

so as per the above, I understood that he could just put 400k in his account and go to apply before his 90 days visa expires, is this correct? without the need to wait few months? as long as he is a father to 3 Thai kids and married with Thai lady (his wife)

or the time of money in his bank acc. must be for 3 months time?

I guess just the point, other required parts are OK now,

thanks

7 minutes ago, waxpro said:

Yes, he is married with Thai national, and has 3 kids with her, his elder daughter issued ID card as he told me since last year,

so as per the above, I understood that he could just put 400k in his account and go to apply before his 90 days visa expires, is this correct? without the need to wait few months? as long as he is a father to 3 Thai kids and married with Thai lady (his wife)

The longest anyone needs the money to be "seasoned" in the bank for a Non-O based on marriage is 2 months (not 3, that is for retirement).  The children might make the time in the bank unnecessary, but probably comes down to the IO at his immigration office. 

Worst case ...

12 minutes ago, waxpro said:

he could apply for a 60 day extension and then apply for a 1 year extension once the funds had been in his account for 2 months.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, waxpro said:

Thanks for all these clarifications,

I guess just the point, other required parts are OK now,

thanks

Yes. His wife and at least one child would need to be with him when he applies.

I have done that at Bangkok Immigration and Kanchanaburi Immigration without any problem. I suggest your friend contacts his local office in good time before he applies to confirm what they will accept, as offices can have their own policies. If the office insist that the money has to be in the bank for a set time it should only be 2 months.

21 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes. His wife and at least one child would need to be with him when he applies.

I have done that at Bangkok Immigration and Kanchanaburi Immigration without any problem. I suggest your friend contacts his local office in good time before he applies to confirm what they will accept, as offices can have their own policies. If the office insist that the money has to be in the bank for a set time it should only be 2 months.

Thanks for the suggestions, will advise him accordingly,