Where to buy "baker's yeast"?

gobs

Thanks all for your help :thumbsup:

And thanks for the picture, Jdietz. As I know nothing about that (beginner here), this way I know what to look for on the shelves...

As well as I plan to give a visit to Yok (need some baking tools), I'll give a look at baker's yeast there too...

For now I'm playing at home cooking family-style (easy) cakes with baking powder. As that's fun, I'd like to go a bit further and bake my own bread :tongue:

Again thanks to all...

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Sorry I can't tell you where to buy in Chiang Mai, but in Pattaya we have a local baker what sells 500g packs for just over a hundred baht, a big saving on buying small packs.

rps20171027_111630_889.jpg

That is the brand that I use except I buy mine from Makro in KPP.

37 minutes ago, vogie said:

I used to make to make 12 rolls at a time, now I've upped it to 24, I have found that they last me twice as long. ?

I can only get 8 on the tray and I only have 2 trays and a table top oven but they come out reet tasty like.

I have taken 2 photos but poxy TVF STILL will not allow me to post them.

The same problem for more than 2 weeks now.

Is there a material difference between one instant yeast brand and another in the resulting bread? If so, what?
Yes. My wife used to run a bakery and found the yeast in Makro in the gold packaging the best to use. The bread was noticeably lighter.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Again thanks to all for your inputs.

Finally, today I went to Makro for grocery shopping and found the yeast Fermipan Brown, 500gr, 117 Bahts. Pack is gold and brown.

To those who know: is it ok to bake home made bread? What does "brown" mean?

There was also Instant Success yeast, 500gr, 116 Bahts. Pack is blue and white.

Also, all purpose flour seems cheap to me at Makro. Prices begin at 27 bahts/kg. I took the Kite brand flour, 34Bahts/kg (I like the name :laugh:).

I think tomorrow I'll give it a try: my first ever attempt at bread baking...

Cheers.

Brown needs sugar in the dough to  rise.

Red doesn't, but still works better with a little bit IMHO.

If the Flour says 'Bread Flour' or 'Strong Plain Flour' it's good, all purpose won't taste good in bread.

(usually it's the higher cost flours for bread)

"The difference between all-purpose flour and bread flour is gluten strength; if you substitute all-purpose flour then your bread won't rise as high or be as strong; this is a desirable quality in, say, cake, but not bread. ... That said, why not start with a recipe that has been tested with all-purpose flour."

Thanks for the quick answer, MJMTB.

I think I'm a bit lost with all these different yeasts characteristics...

Anyway, today was my first attempt to bake bread with the brown Fermipan. At first a mini loaf (300g multi-purpose flour) just to get an idea, and things are not so "bad": good taste (to me), but maybe a little bit more salt next time; crust is slim and crispy and crumb is soft with a nice smelling (to me).

On the other hand, I made a mistake I think with the baking temperature. I began too low (180) and tried later to increase the temp (250) but too late I suppose my bread being close to be cooked: the crust doesn't show a nice tan color. Also maybe I didn't knead the dough enough, the crumb is more "brioche" style in appearance (not in taste): though the crumb is soft, there are no big holes at all.

Well at least happy with my first try (with butter and ham: yummy!). Next time I'll try to do better...

Thanks to all for your help and advice. :thumbsup:

Next time chuck in a tablespoon of sugar for the yeast to eat.

Make sure the outside of the dough is slightly damp when you leave it to rise.

I bake bread at 160-180 on my oven dial. Don't be sure your oven temperature is anywhere near what the dial says.

250 would be way too high, the last 10 minutes at a higher temp is usually enough for a chewy crust.

Here is a recipe that I got from Vogie a while ago and modified a few times until I got it to taste the way I wanted.

It is simple and easy.

I use a stand mixer to mix the dough and also to knead it and a table top fan assisted oven to bake it.

With a fan oven it usually runs about 20C cooler than a normal oven.

I bake my bread at 160C fan which corresponds to 180C for a normal oven. If you are using a gas cooker then temperature conversion charts can be found on Google.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Vogie’s bread rolls v03a.doc

Thanks both for your inputs, MJMTB and Bill, interesting indeed for a beginner...

MJMTB: Thank you very much for your warning about oven temperature indicators. You ringed a bell in my head last night when I saw your post. So today I prepared a fresh dough (a little bit wetter and with about 20% rye flour for test), kneaded it for more long time (about 20 min), let it grow, etc. Then I decided to bake it in my gas oven at full power (just to know), and... very nice bread after 40 min in the said oven. I suspect my temp gauge is not accurate at all (BTW I confess my oven is a neolithic piece of iron).

Yippiiiiiie!

1024-Baking-Bread01.JPG.573781e67506d4fcb117e0e7a6759e03.JPG

Though, the loaf being crispy, with a slim crust and a souple crumb with a nice flavor and taste, the crumb shows again a "brioche" style texture:

1024-Baking-Bread02.JPG.014ed8af79774cab31a43e76539ce249.JPG

No big bubble/hole. Next time I'll let it grow all night long before baking it the next day. Just to see...

For fun, and being busy in the kitchen I went to also bake (full oven power as well) some "brioches au beurre":

1024-Baking-Brioche-01.JPG.2f1c7aafbf572f74b58d0fa3b8f1bbd3.JPG

Perfect: exquisite recipe for the mid-afternoon coffee :smile:

Again, thank you for your warning MJMTB, I think I'm sorted out with my baking/oven problem...

billd766: thank you for this inviting bread recipe. I'll have to give it a try.

In fact I'm trying to get what we call in France "pain de menage" (something like "household bread" maybe). This was the basic "vintage" cheap/popular bread there to fulfill the workers' stomachs at lunch and diner. Nothing fancy, but a wonderful natural flavor and a delight with cheese or ham and butter (to my taste).

Here is the recipe I'm currently testing:

- All purpose flour: 300g

- Warm water: 180ml

- Salt: 4g

- Instant yeast (Fermipan): 3g (about 1% flour weight according to Fermipan specs)

- Sugar: 8g (sugar added thanks to MJMTB)

I think I'm now not too far away. Just getting a more "airy crumb" would be nice...

Thanks again for your kind help,

Ray

Archived