Protecting leather goods

Kenny202

Just noticed a few of my leather belts and gloves a bit powdery with dry mould from all of the humidity. Ive cleaned them and they look fine but I can see over time the leather may harden. Is there an easy home remedy I can put on the leather to keep it soft? Vegetable oil or something?

The belts I can probably apply some neutral wax but the gloves are too soft and pliable to treat that way

Any advice appreciated

gloves? really? one would hope for cycling or something to that effect, though leather gloves are too hot for this climate whereas synthetic ones can be washed and hold up much longer

anyways i have found this happens only when stored away for long periods of time. nothing leather in regular use has had issues.

I think the mould develops on the wax element.

Likewise my belts were mouldy when i looked but only the shiny wax polished side.

My tables and chairs that are also stained with typical diluted wax plus stain have gone mouldy.

Lots of so called remedies you can find on the net but most do not work. I actually thought white vinegar would be the answer and it didnt work so put the wife on the case.

After extensive research she came home with Nizoral anti dandruff shampoo.

Diluted it with water and sprayed it on.

Hey presto...mould spored gone and belts and furniture looking great again

I think the mould develops on the wax element.
Likewise my belts were mouldy when i looked but only the shiny wax polished side.
My tables and chairs that are also stained with typical diluted wax plus stain have gone mouldy.
Lots of so called remedies you can find on the net but most do not work. I actually thought white vinegar would be the answer and it didnt work so put the wife on the case.
After extensive research she came home with Nizoral anti dandruff shampoo.
Diluted it with water and sprayed it on.
Hey presto...mould spored gone and belts and furniture looking great again

Thai lady research? You must have a one in a million lol

Really I was after something more to keep the leather supple rather than cleaning

Vinegar very good for cleaning but I wonder what the acid in the vinegar does to the leather long term

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thankfully! the times when we had to wander the streets looking for products are over - least for me they are! Look on Lazada for leather conditioner - 231products to choose from, sure one of them will suit your needs, then we also have ebay (go for free international shipping option when searching) & DH gate all those wonderful Chinese products you buy at inflated prices locally.