Tourists .... pfffft!

kurtmartens

So ... rarely do I post a random rant.  But ...

We (wife and I) were recently up at the wat (sorry the name escapes me) near the Summer Palace.  My wife was kneeling and praying and up comes some idiot European tourist and starts taking a picture or two or three of her while she is praying.  Doesn't ask, doesn't say thank you ... just snaps away.  Took all of my patience not to tell him off.  I know that tourists are important to the economy, but I just don't understand how some of them (from all countries) just forget how to act once they land in the Kingdom.  Taking pictures of people praying, walking around in wife beater t-shirts with a can of Chang or worst shirtless, ringing temple bells that are marked "please don't ring", etc, etc.

What is it with forgetting how to act "normal" once they are on vacation here in Thailand?  I often want to ask them, "would you act or dress this way in your own country?".  But am afraid of the answer!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well maybe you and the wife should avoid tourist temples. Your wife can always make merit at a local wat where there are unlikely to be tourists taking pictures. Making merit (tham bun) is not dependent upon location. And merit making is not diminished by others taking pictures. If that were the case then the Buddhist activities now taking place down in Bangkok would all be for naught.  But I understand, you and the wife would prefer not to have people taking pictures and thus you suffer.  It is the perfect scenario to practice Buddhist mediation to extinguish the forces of desire (daap khilet) that are causing you to suffer thus.

2 hours ago, Johpa said:

Well maybe you and the wife should avoid tourist temples. Your wife can always make merit at a local wat where there are unlikely to be tourists taking pictures. Making merit (tham bun) is not dependent upon location. And merit making is not diminished by others taking pictures. If that were the case then the Buddhist activities now taking place down in Bangkok would all be for naught.  But I understand, you and the wife would prefer not to have people taking pictures and thus you suffer.  It is the perfect scenario to practice Buddhist mediation to extinguish the forces of desire (daap khilet) that are causing you to suffer thus.

Sorry can`t agree. This is down to ignorance and lack of common sense. If I had been the OP I would have told the tourist to shove off and he`d had been within his rights to do so. Even some of the longer term expats here will never respect or learn about Thai culture, they mostly live in their own oblivious to where they are little worlds.

They are acting normal, unfortunately it's normal behavior to them. Out of the examples you gave regarding dress and swigging beer, I see taking a snap of your praying wife the least offensive.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

People with cameras are often impolite.  It was even mentioned in Lonely Planet that the Thais didn't like cameras, and that was way before smartphones, but basically there are tons of idiots in the tourist areas.  Would like to see more fines on the shirtless.

Buddhism shouldn't be involving the worshiping and praying to idols. The "images" should only be to remind people of the teachings. Teachings involve the "human condition". Part of the modern human condition involves impolite people and cameras.

A "good Buddhist " would be able to just acknowledge the moment and then release it, without dwelling on it.

8 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Sorry can`t agree. This is down to ignorance and lack of common sense. If I had been the OP I would have told the tourist to shove off and he`d had been within his rights to do so. Even some of the longer term expats here will never respect or learn about Thai culture, they mostly live in their own oblivious to where they are little worlds.

You are perfectly within your rights to take photos of people in public places.

You have no right to privacy in common areas of the world.

A weeee story. Mrs.Trans mum passed on a few weeks back, at the funeral l was asked to pour "holy" water on the corpse from head to foot...No ploblem...

I could hear the phone cameras clicking in the background and one of me doing my stuff ended up on facebook....No ploblem cos Interpol ain't looking for me, well l don't fink so...ashamed-smiley-emoticon.png.96da5b30c62774928f9940b958524e1b.png

52 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

There are areas where people have a reasonable expectation of privacy, and I would say an individual person in a house of worship does have a moral right to privacy. We could argue that toilets in stores, restaurants and railways stations are public places, but doesn’t mean it’s acceptable to go in with a camera and start snapping away.  If photographing children in public that are unrelated could result with a camera being seized and the person maybe be detained and questioned.

If you came along aiming at me with your camera if I was out minding my own business, then see how far your rights to take photos of anyone in public would get you.

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

There are areas where people have a reasonable expectation of privacy, and I would say an individual person in a house of worship does have a moral right to privacy.

Not at Wat Doi Suthep, where tourists pay to enter and Thais get in free.

Nobody needs to pray in a pay-to-enter tourist attraction.

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

If you came along aiming at me with your camera if I was out minding my own business, then see how far your rights to take photos of anyone in public would get you.

The police would be called and you would be arrested, charged and deported, I operate a zero tolerance policy against violent foreigners, my camera would be recording the whole time.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Tourist papparazi may be rude but coming from the USA where a person can basically photograph anything/anybody in a public place it would be difficult for me to suddenly take an attitude of enhance privacy whilst in Thailand. Assaulting somebody IS a serious crime and much worse than unwanted photography, It is strange for people to suddenly be offended by a camera in public whilst countless security cameras at all times are monitoring you. Why don't such bullies go bang on the office door at Tops market and attack the manager?

There is nothing stopping the people with access to such cameras from using the images without permission so you might as well stay holed up in ones room if you want privacy. As for Doing Suthep Temple "Please sit down Taking Pictures in the Hall"

Edited by Dipterocarp

I am certainly not making excuses for the tourists.....but.....I well remember my first time taking a lady to a Wat. ....She unexpectedly sat down in front of the shrine/alter, with her legs tucked in under her, head bowed (as they do) hands clasped in prayer.....and started silently praying...."I thought it was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen" and I made sure I captured it with the camera.  To this day when my now wife and I go to a Wat and she gets into the same position ....I have my camera at the ready to capture this beautiful sight, just as beautiful every time as it was that first time.

Maybe the tourists found it as awsum as I did?

One of my Thai friends is a very accomplished amateur photographer and has won some awards and shown her work in the USA. She always asks permission before taking photographs of people but one time I saw her at Loy Khratong parade, with a girl in traditional dress we met. Not only did she ask permission also gave the girl some money and had took her pic from various angles with a floating lantern. She intended to submit to a competition with a well known  magazine. 

I asked my Thai photographer friend if this was ethical? She was paying the girl to pose in what would appear to natural images but they were in fact paid and staged. I din't get a straight answer.

Edited by Dipterocarp

Some years ago, I was at Westminster Cathedral in London. Though they were holding some sort of service, the building was open to tourists. At one point ushers asked visitors to stand quietly for moment.

They were ignored. Very rude.

So...Not just in Thailand.

You're incredibly over sensitive.  People take pictures in our wat all of the time.  Considering I live in the sticks, none of those taking pictures in the wat are foreigners or tourists.   They're all Thais taking pictures of Thai <and one village farang> at our wat.  Some of them even praying!!!

So my question would be: "Why do you have such a problem with foreign tourists taking pictures in a wat when Thais do it all of the time?"  

Too bad you weren't at the wat this day.  You could have told that pesky photographer to be more culturally sensitive about taking pictures of praying monks at the wat.  Oh, wait a minute!  That photographer was my wife.  
10616681_10203638202614339_6459075942182423318_n.jpg.6c6a3932dfbbbdf7d1a0334101b05e21.jpg

You're making a big deal where there isn't a problem other than the one you just created.  :biggrin:
Chill.  You'll feel better.  Promise.

Edited by connda

It's called proper decorum and simply being polite to ask a person if they mind being photographed.   Freedom in life allows many choices- but there are certain responsibilities that go along with it.  It may not be illegal but it sure as heck is rude to simply take a photograph of another person without their permission. 

Edited by Thaidream

5 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

It's called proper decorum and simply being polite to ask a person if they mind being photographed.   Freedom in life allows many choices- but there are certain responsibilities that go along with it.  It may not be illegal but it sure as heck is rude to simply take a photograph of another person without their permission. 

I tend to agree. The Facebook era has led many to think that sticking a camera in your face is normal behaviour and everyone enjoys it. I'm constantly telling my other half to put it away or take another selfie. Some people like to be asked and people should respect that. 

8 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Their is a difference between being within your rights and being respectful. I agree with OP I have seen many tourist just leaving their brains behind when all it takes is a little bit of common sense and empathy. It is important to remember tourists and expats are guests in the country and should conduct themselves accordingly ...I know it's a pipe dream but I can hope.