Beyond Angkor Wat: The forgotten temples of Cambodia's Banteay Chhmar

geovalin

If you've heard of one Cambodian temple, it's probably Angkor Wat -- an awe-inspiring yet well-trodden UNESCO World Heritage Site in Siem Reap. But many travelers don't realize the Seventh Wonder of the World is one of thousands of ancient Khmer temples dotting the Cambodian countryside.

Hidden beneath a canopy of trees in the northwestern jungles of Cambodia lies a lesser known beauty: Banteay Chhmar, which roughly translates to "Citadel of Cats." Brought to life in the 12th century by Jayavarman VII, one of the Khmer Empire's greatest rulers, this little-understood temple was left uninhabited for nearly 800 years.

Yeah, when my wife and I did a 4 day visa run to Cambodia, we did a tour with a local taxi driver who spoke English and wants to become a tour guide. After seeing how impressed I was with Angkor Wat, he took us around a few other local Wat's, including the one where they filmed 'Tomb Raider'.

I must say that I found these more impressive and relaxing. They were less crowded and commercialized. Plus it was free entry. 

Highly recommend doing a tour. 

One of the most serene and spiritual places in the world....I don't think Ive been here but I found the Bayon, Prea Vihar and Ta Prohm temples equally magnificent. When I went there we were just 4 people...no one else around. Bet its a zoo nowadays.

Last year was US$20 for a day pass to the Angkor temples in Siem Reap, and now has increased to US$37. None of the temple visits are free in the region but the pass enables one to see as many as they wish on the day. They also offer multiple day options to see a lot more. Ta Prohm and Bayon are certainly less crowded and offer something different to Angkor Wat.. Well worth a visit.