How to live for 4000 baht a month. Not inc rents.

dfdgfdfdgs

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Washing use the 20 baht or 30 baht washing machines, 3 times a month.   100 baht inc powder."

what a waste!  why use the machines and blow extra bahts on washing powder?  real cheap charlies wear their clothes in the shower, or save more by swimming fully clothed in the canals while searching for free stuff.

"1 baht water machine - all the fluids you need for 8 baht a week, 30 baht a month."

fun fact!  urine is sterile, and can be recycled indefinitely.  no more buying drinking water, and reduces wasted flushes.

also recommended to flush only once per day, but only if absolutely necessary.  you may find it advantageous to compost your poo and grow vegetables from seeds salvaged from rinds and husks you can fish out of the canals.

add more protein to your diet for free.  plenty of fish, free for the taking, floating downstream of temples that have been released for merit.

there ya go, saved ya at least 500 baht per week......you're welcome.

Edited by ChouDoufu

56 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I'm still banging away like I was 19 ..... only with greater success.

I prefer  the meals I cook for 15-25bht to anything I can buy. You probably would too, I'm a great cook!

I have a choice of bicycles and lycra outfits, the weather is great (mostly), what more could I want? 

lycra outfits  ... here's an idea for those trying to live frugally. Demand a sort of stipend from your neighbours, or else you will start to wear lycra around the neighbourhood!

Could be a good little earner?image.jpeg.d9a9b60f928e267e695655fdec0477ea.jpeg

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

some people here definitely have a negative attitude towards people who dont spend much money, just do a search on 'cheap charlie'. maybe they feel bad because they are forking out fortunes just to keep a girl on their arm or maybe they feel superior because they have more money, anyway the point is valid.

also, 'old' does not necessarily refer to their age but to the fact they crop up again and again and have done for quite a while.

live and let live.

Entirely the opposite in my case as I'm always impressed by those that can live on v little.

But 4,000 bht p.m???  It doesn't sound anywhere close to realistic for anyone trying to live anything close to a 'normal' life.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Entirely the opposite in my case as I'm always impressed by those that can live on v little.

But 4,000 bht p.m???  It doesn't sound anywhere close to realistic for anyone trying to live anything close to a 'normal' life.

Yeah, you need 20k for hookers and booze.

6 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

"Buy Thai food in Thailand.  Go to local markets and eat rice dishes for 30 baht. "

Or you could just learn to cook yourself.

Western food like Spagetti is 75bht/kg (10-15 portions), Mince 50bht/400gm, Tomatoes 10bht/kg.

Spaghetti bolognese  works out around 15bht/meal. 

or Sicilian  chicken soup, 2 chicken breasts 35bht, potato 20bht/kg, tomato 10bht/kg, bell peppers 10bht/4, onions 10bht/kg.

7 meals at least from that at around 10bht/meal.

Pizza, make the bread yourself, bread flour 32bht/kg, Mozzarella cheese 300bht/kg (30 pizza), toppings almost nothing.

Around 25bht/pizza 

Cooking yourself, way cheaper than buying ready cooked from market stalls.

The OP can't afford to cook, it'd bang his electric bill up too much. 

If that's your recipe then your spag bol must be the worlds most tasteless not to mention the most  unappetising.  Where is it that you can buy minced beef for B125/kg that won't give you a medical bill?  And bell peppers for B2.5 each?  Supermarket skips?

Do you really think that the OP, who lives on less than B4k per month, has an oven?

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

If that's your recipe then your spag bol must be the worlds most tasteless not to mention the most  unappetising.  Where is it that you can buy minced beef for B125/kg that won't give you a medical bill?  And bell peppers for B2.5 each?  Supermarket skips?

Do you really think that the OP, who lives on less than B4k per month, has an oven?

Tesco Lotus minced pork 52bht/400gm

Bell Peppers 10bht/4 from my local farmers market

Spag bol recipe, I only listed the items with significant costs.

A kilo of onions for 10bht last a while, a kilo of garlic or dried chili for 10bht lasts forever.

Otto pyrex oven 900bht in Tesco, Samsung microwave 1,250 bht in Makro.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

In the U.S.A. now many people are on the street even though they might have  a couple thousand bucks per month coming in with SS and small pensions. Living in absolute filth. Exposed to the elements and crime. Hard for many to keep a roof over head unless they get into a spot at a group home(veterans, etc.) Just too expensive these days.

I'd rather survive on limited budget in Thailand. A decent room with fan, toilet, shower.

Edited by Dipterocarp

In the U.S.A. now many people are on the street even though they might have  a couple thousand bucks per month coming in with SS and small pensions. Living in absolute filth. Exposed to the elements and crime. Hard for many to keep a roof over head unless they get into a spot at a group home. Just too expensive these days.

I'd rather survive on small money in Thailand, a decent room with fan, toilet, shower.
Couple of thousand bucks a month and living on the streets would be a lifestyle choice which is suprisingly popular

That money would get you a bunk bed at a back packers or nice room shared accommodation with plenty left for food and booze

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

In the U.S.A. now many people are on the street even though they might have  a couple thousand bucks per month coming in with SS and small pensions. Living in absolute filth. Exposed to the elements and crime. Hard for many to keep a roof over head unless they get into a spot at a group home. Just too expensive these days.

I'd rather survive on small money in Thailand, a decent room with fan, toilet, shower.

Perhaps but if you get injured or or fall sick here without insurance, you'll find yourself being ferried around to hospital after hospital in the back of a pick up truck until one of them agrees to treat you.

At least in most parts of the West, you'll get treated at the first hospital you arrive at.

12 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

In the U.S.A. now many people are on the street even though they might have  a couple thousand bucks per month coming in with SS and small pensions. Living in absolute filth. Exposed to the elements and crime. Hard for many to keep a roof over head unless they get into a spot at a group home(veterans, etc.) Just too expensive these days.

I'd rather survive on limited in Thailand. A decent room with fan, toilet, shower.

3k5bht gets you a NEW room fully furnished with tv/internet/aircon/kitchen/microwave/shower and an outside seating area near Chiang Mai. Water 100bht, electricity at standard rate. (pal just built 5, they look pretty good, but out of town in SanKamplang so no takers so far)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

17 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Couple of thousand bucks a month and living on the streets would be a lifestyle choice which is suprisingly popular

That money would get you a bunk bed at a back packers or nice room shared accommodation with plenty left for food and booze

Just came back from business trip to  Denver. I had not been there in 33 years. The growth there has been incredible but the homeless situation very shocking. Hundreds of people camping by the S. Platte river, hundreds.  I'd say for many of the younger set it is a lifestyle choice. Not all the older people are psycho druggies but there is no place for them in the information economy,  $500,000 condos, and craft beer bars. (Way cheaper than Thailand actually!)

Doubt once  getting into that situation many would have money for plane tickets, passports, 800,000 visa/extension deposits an emergency fund, etc. No way out....

Edited by Dipterocarp

10 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Perhaps but if you get injured or or fall sick here without insurance, you'll find yourself being ferried around to hospital after hospital in the back of a pick up truck until one of them agrees to treat you.

At least in most parts of the West, you'll get treated at the first hospital you arrive at.

I've had a few medical emergencies in my 10 years here.

Emergency stay in hospital (2 nights, 3 days) 5K deposit, 1k5 handed back on exit. No money requested until I asked for a private room.

Broken face and jaw (out-patient) stitching and cleaning no cash required up front, 5 dental treatments splint and rebuild teeth a round 3k5bht in all.

Stitching leg after a fall running, 8 stiches, 250bht inc meds.

3 cancerous spots on forehead, 1k5bht

Cosmetic removal of lumps at CMRAM, 3kbht.

Never seen the need for medical insurance, cheap as chips. 

Edited by MaeJoMTB

10 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Tesco Lotus minced pork 52bht/400gm

Bell Peppers 10bht/4 from my local farmers market

Spag bol recipe, I only listed the items with significant costs.

A kilo of onions for 10bht last a while, a kilo of garlic or dried chili for 10bht lasts forever.

Otto pyrex oven 900bht in Tesco, Samsung microwave 1,250 bht in Makro.

What's he going to buy the oven with? 

Love to know where vegetables at those prices are generally available, apart from your "local farmers market"?  

5 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I've had a few medical emergencies in my 10 years here.

Emergency stay in hospital (2 nights, 3 days) 5K deposit, 1k5 handed back on exit.

Broken face and jaw (out-patient) stitching and cleaning no cash required up front, 5 dental treatments splint and rebuild teeth a round 3k5bht in all.

Stitching leg after a fall running, 8 stiches, 250bht inc meds.

3 cancerous spots on forehead, 1k5bht

Cosmetic removal of lumps at CMRAM, 3kbht.

Never seen the need for medical insurance, cheap as chips. 

Nothing in that list strikes me as life threatening.

Turn up with a brain tumour, a heart attack or a stroke and see how much change you get back.

21 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

In the US there is Medicare (not free care there are uncovered costs)  for the aged and veterans hospitals, The homeless don't get much care until it is too late, then you're dead anyway. After stabilization care they get dumped in a park or bus station in their same stinking rags. Prison is better for some.

Edited by Dipterocarp

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Love to know where vegetables at those prices are generally available, apart from your "local farmers market"?  

I assume they are the same prices in all the local markets.

My local is a Wat Nong Bot this afternoon (every Sunday aft), off  there in a moment as I need onions, tomatoes and  Bell peppers.

https://goo.gl/maps/z1KkPDuNrsL2

Edited by MaeJoMTB

5 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Turn up with a brain tumour, a heart attack or a stroke and see how much change you get back.

Quite frankly, I'd rather be dead than struggle on after one of your listed events.

Some people want to live forever, no matter what, not me at 62 I've had a good run.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What's he going to buy the oven with? 

tesco....minced pork 99b/kg, chicken breast strips 79b/kg.

bags of reduced price veggies available daily, half price or less.

electric oven?  in sunny thailand, DIY a simple solar oven for $5.

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-5-6-Solar-Oven/

during the rainy season, use dried human waste (no smell!) formed into briquettes to use on his DIY hibachi made of collected scrap metal. 

Quite frankly, I'd rather be dead than struggle on after one of your listed events.
Some people want to live forever, no matter what, not me at 62 I've had a good run.
Aparantly nearly all of them try to cling on to every day they can. A few will jump off a high rise but that's even scarier

We all have to die from something and if it's cancer then don't even think about trying to save your life through chemo in Thailand unless Richard Branson is your uncle